Thread: Trigger Pin Upgrade

Trigger Pin Upgrade

One of the things that has always bugged me about Savage rifles was how cheap the factory trigger felt(even the accutrigger). It has end play and looseness where the trigger pin goes through the trigger and the hanger causing a cheap feel. Me and a couple of guys I work with decided to come up with a fix. We were happy with the end result even though the product required too much effort so the other day it hit me, KISS.

The Nuts and bolts of it...

The hole in the hanger and trigger measure .1406" or 9/64ths. The factory pin measures about .138. That .0026" is compounded at the trigger and the hanger bores. Our first solution was to machine pins with a shoulder on one end like the factory job but .003" larger. To secure it in place and to capture the hanger assembly to an approximate width of .375, we drilled a hole and tapped it for a 4-40 screw. If you were not careful you could bulge the thin walled pin when trying to get the correct crush on the hanger to remove the slop. So now that I found a simple solution I thought I would share it with you. For some of you with SSS or Sav 1 or Sav 2 triggers this may seem silly or unnecessary to you but I feel like it is worth the effort. I had all the tools and just needed the drill rod.

Supplies.
    • 9/64ths Drill Rod .75 long
    • 6-32 Die Nut
    • Small Fine Mill File
    • 6-32 Nuts
    • #6 Washers
    • Vise with Soft Jaws
    • Trigger and Hanger

First off the Die and the drill rod.

Cut the drill rod to .750 in length. Thread each end leaving about 7/16 or a little less un-threaded in the middle. Trial test the fit through the trigger and de-burr as needed.

Take a small fine file and carefully hone the hanger faces inside and out to smooth. Remove any proud metal and burrs.

Assemble using a #6 washer on either side. Tighten up until it clamps the trigger between the hanger. Back off until the trigger swings free. The feel is improved by a margin if you take your time here and do it right. I peen the threads, but a thread locker would work. Use a bench grinder or Dremel to shorten the ends of the pin. Flush with the nuts would be good.

There you have it. The end result is a trigger with no side play and no looseness around the pin.

Disassemble and repaint if you would like. Yes I know, this is the wrong hanger for this trigger... I just needed it for a display.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 01-17-2015 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added text

Something I forgot to mention was that the final adjustment will be on the rifle after everything is assembled. I have ended up tweaking the hanger sometimes to get the sides more parallel.