Thread: Boyd's stock questions

Basic Member

Boyd's stock questions

I was thinking about a Boyds Classic, Heritage or Prairie hunter stock for my Long Action .270 build and have two questions:

1. Will these stocks be decent shooters as is or will I need to install pillars and bed the action? Does Boyds have an option to install pillars before they ship?
    2. I have a heavy sporter 24" barrel that tapers from 1.035" down to .710" at the muzzle. I guess it is similar to a Magnum contour? Should I order a stock with factory barrel channel or Bull barrel channel? I think those are the only two options they have.

Thank You!

Basic Member
    Order from Boyds?...GOOD LUCK with that!
    Worst customer service ever.., do yourself a favor and go elsewhere
    They definitely lack communication skills, either it's refusing to answer their phone or not returning voicemail (take your pick) ....HORRIBLE!!!

Here's a canned (can't even make it personal) email from them addressed to me and 900 other people! No s**t...900 other people. I wouldn't expect anything from them in a long - long time.

Greetings,

Boyds’ would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of communication concerning the order you have placed with us.

It is not our standard practice to have a longer lead time than the 5 days or not to respond to phone calls or emails; however, due to the high volume of orders received during the holiday season, our backlog of product was larger than we could have foreseen and we have been diligently returning calls and emails. We apologize if you have not received any correspondence yet, but we want to assure you that we are working to have all orders current and shipped within the next week and a half.

Once again, thank you for your patience and understanding and we ask that you give us another opportunity as we greatly value you as a customer.

Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks
    25376 403rd Ave
    Mitchell SD, 57301
    (605)996-5011
    www.Boydsgunstocks.com
    Last edited by NFD9; 01-17-2015 at 11:06 AM.

I ordered a Boyd's stock for my .308 Axis. They sent me one for a long action. Lady on the phone said they would start making my new one, but wouldn't ship it out until they got the wrong one back. Didn't work out that way... I made several calls leaving messages as to where my stock was, but I got the right stock now and it is very nice. They must have problems communicating within the shop... two or three weeks later there was a box from Boyd's sitting by the back door. So now I have a Boyd's stock on my Axis, and an identical one in a box under the bed.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    I called Boyd's today and the woman I talked with couldn't answer the simplest questions regarding their stocks. I am rethinking my plan to buy one at this point. Thanks for the feedback.

The stock I got (both of them) are nicely made. Just kinda a pain to deal with.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Mach2
    Ive used a Prairie Hunter walnut and was very pleased. I ordered it unfinished so I could do fine shaping. Walnut is easy to shape and stain. As far as pillar bedding I did that myself to the stock. That is pretty easy. I got the pillars in and drilled the right size holes to seat them and epoxied the pillars. Pillars for a Savage are easy to make if you go that route. Basically pillars are two pieces of metal tubing or pipe. You can even use copper tubing.
    Pillars are a form of bedding. I did not need to glass bed the stock but that is not hard to do if you need to go that way.
    I didn't have any shipping probs so I can't attest to their customer service other than they shipped me the right stock and the stock work was excellent.
    Last edited by Mach2; 01-17-2015 at 04:03 AM.

They did eventually return my voicemail. It took over a week, but they returned it. Unfortunately, it was just information that I already knew.

I'm still waiting on that replacement stock. They had the defective one since Monday, so assuming they wouldn't have taken any action in advance to get my order ready, I expect to have the stock I paid for in mid-December sometime in February. Oh wait, February is a short month. Better make that March.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 01-17-2015 at 07:59 AM.