Thread: Black Hole barrel nut?

Basic Member

Black Hole barrel nut?

Any one have any experiance with these? I am looking to put one on my build and just wanting to know if anyone is using them and if they like them. Also need suggestions on the best aftermarket lug to use. Thanks in advance.

ironworkerwill
    The Black Hole nut looks pretty slick. I'd probably rather have a trued nut from Northland.

I've used the SSS from Gunshack it's $20. I wrote a review a while back on the Gunshack site and they never posted it. It looked a little cheezy with a ground bolt epoxied in for receiver alignment. It was less than .002'' difference from top to bottom and it was deadnuts where it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by ironworkerwill View Post
    The Black Hole nut looks pretty slick. I'd probably rather have a trued nut from Northland.

I've used the SSS from Gunshack it's $20. I wrote a review a while back on the Gunshack site and they never posted it. It looked a little cheezy with a ground bolt epoxied in for receiver alignment. It was less than .002'' difference from top to bottom and it was deadnuts where it counts.
    Just to clarify something here - the above is referring to a recoil lug, not a barrel nut, and the one he got obviously wasn't an SSS nut but rather Gunshack's own product. Gunshack failed to update their website description when they made the change from SSS to their own in-house piece - at least not until SSS got on them about it because SSS started getting complaints about the quality and found it wasn't even their product.

SSS recoil lugs always have and always will use a machine screw that threads into the lug.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

ironworkerwill
    I apologize for my ignorance. I see now that the Part# on Gunshack is RL-SSS but is not from SSS or was it suggested to be an SSS lug. Yet, I ASSuMEed it was.

I seriously doubt that Fred would also allow a "Precision Recoil Lug" to go out the door with .002 difference from top to bottom. Only he can answer that though.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

ironworkerwill

This is the lug as it was received from Gunshack. I took this photo directly after opening the package. After removal of all of the epoxy I measured the bearing surfaces and noticed them to be parallel. The only "off" measurement was at the bottom of the lug where it will engage the stock.

Basic Member
    The lug pictured above is finished on a belt sander.....hence the lack of precision. All of my lugs are surface ground, both sides.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."