Thread: 250 AI Build

Basic Member

250 AI Build

I have this rifle put together for more than a month and it's showing to be very promising in testing. It will be used for coyote and medium range deer.

[img width=600 height=329]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/006.jpg[/img]

Steven SA, Cerma-Coated, waiting for a T&T appointment at SSS

3 screw trigger with .039 spring wire, 1-1/2 lb. pull

PacNor 24" SS 1-10 twist 5 groove barrel

Tupperware stock, sponge painter

Super Sniper 16x during testing, Bushnell Elite 2x7 when its time to hit the woods.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/001-1.jpg[/img]

I have been working with Varget and my old standard 100 gr. NBT's. I've been working with a wieght range of 38.5 to 40.5. My best group came with 38.5 gr. @ an average velocity of 3059 FPS.

I had a couple of other sub .5" groups as I climbed the ladder, but nothing to match the first load. At 40.5 gr. I was still not showing significant pressure signs, so I think that I will find the high node somewhere in the next grain or grain and a half.

As always these loads are safe in my rifle. Reduce load and work up to the safe limits in yours. Discontinue use if you experience headache, dizzines or rectal itching.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Re: 250 AI Build

I knew she would be a shooter!
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member

and cleans slick as a whistle. Thanks Ed

pa hog

Nice stick Brent!! Them 250AI's are a sweet shooting caliber! Just ordered a lighter stock for mine. I'm really impressed with how easy my Pacnor 6br cleans to.

docsleepy

Can you fill me in on that .211?
    This bullet is .258 in diam, right? so the outside edge of the black rings should be .258.
    In order to have a .211 you should have about 3/4 of a bullet width between the center - center of the farthest shots.
    Working off the screen shot, it just seems like the farthest left and farthest right shots are father apart; there seems to be more like 1.5 bullet widths between their centers, than 3/4....??

thanks

docsleepy

I might add I'm interested in 250 Savage also, so delighted to see your report!

Basic Member

Doc,

I will hae to look at the original target and remeasure. Are you thinking about a straight 250 or an AI.

I've heard nothing but good things about the original. I just have a thing about everything I shoot being above 3000 FPS. So far I am very inpressed with the AI. It is very well mannered and even at my highest load so far, case head expansion is only .001 so I still have some room to go. My primers are starting to crater a little, but that is mostly because of the sloppy firing pin holes that Savages have.

The recoil is one thing that is interesting to me. The best way I can describe it is "snappy". I was expecting the more sustained push, like a 243. Instead it a quick little jolt, similar to the 22-250 only a little more. This rifle would work for most any lady and any kid that has a little size to him/her.

docsleepy

sounds perfect to me!
    3000 fps and mild recoil!
    great combo.

Basic Member

Brent, I am getting 3009fps w/ a Sierra 100gr. Gameking and 35.x gr. of H4895 w/ the std. .250 Sav and a 22" barrel. Have you ever tried heating it up a bit? I am sure you can get 3200+fps w/ a 100gr. tip if you wanted to.

Basic Member

I have gotten up to just shy of 3200 fps with minimal pressure signs, I just haven't gotten to that next accuracy node yet. This weekend, I am going to load some a little hotter and see if I can find it. After that, its time to start playing with seating length.

Those 25's are nice aren't they?

RL-17 in the plans I hope!

Basic Member

I played with one ladder of RL17 and was a little discouraged. Like with Varget, I didn't reach Max load but on the way, I was getting ES of 80-90 fps.

Maybe it will settle down with full pressure or mag primers. I going to go back to it after I get Varget figured out.