Thread: Building a 300WM

nonnieselman

Building a 300WM

Hey guys, Noob here.
    I was pointed to this site for info in building my 300wm.
    I traded some engine parts for a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag, its beat up some what but nothing bad.
    Bought a factory Savage Barrel from Northlander (thanks again), taking the 7mag barrel off this weekend and hopefully putting the 300WM barrel on.

First Savage rifle so im in the learning process still. Ive only had or delt with Remington 700s so im looking for all the info i can.

So far here is what im looking at....

Factory Savage heavy barrel 26" SS Fluted
    Millet TRS 4-16x50
    Choate stock

Still up in the air about a trigger.

Harriershot

Re: Building a 300WM

Get the Sharp Shooters Supply competition trigger. I hve them on both of my Savages and their real sweet.

Charlie

Those barrels shoot great. I had one in 300win. It held MOA out to 1100 yards.

It liked to shoot dirty. The more rounds the better. I'd usually only clean it once a year.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

nonnieselman

Quote Originally Posted by Harriershot
    Get the Sharp Shooters Supply competition trigger. I hve them on both of my Savages and their real sweet.

Charlie
    Cool, thanks for the heads up.. im fixin to go check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    Those barrels shoot great. I had one in 300win. It held MOA out to 1100 yards.

It liked to shoot dirty. The more rounds the better. I'd usually only clean it once a year.
    ;D

Now if i can hold MOA at 1100yds ill be happy.. no doubt the rifle can.
    Seems my .270 likes to shoot dirty also. I cleaned it really good and it shot better after 80rds.
    .61MOA at 600yds.

nonnieselman

Im going to get the barrel threaded so i can put a Brake on it, and also waiting for my suppressor.
    How far from the end of the barrel are the flutes?

Plenty of room. 2.5" from the end.

What kind of brake are you going with?
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

nonnieselman

A custom built one from a friend thats a machinist.
    I know its gonna look gawdy, but i want something like the brake on the Barrett M99. and i know it does what its suppose to do.

Should give some fun shooting till my suppressor gets here.

dcloco

The side blast on those is bad though. Fun - yes. Cool - yes. Side blast - uggggly. :)

358Hammer

I have this very same brake that you have posted. on a 460 X510 handgun barrel. The back blast gives me a headache in three shots. The concussion literally moves my check not unlike putting my head out the window of my truck moving down the road at 45 miles per hour.

If you do not reduce the brake down proportionately to the cartridge you are using then I fear you will have a very inefficient brake. I was using the Barrett 50 BMG brake like pictured on my 50 cal. Using 100 grains of IMR 3031 and the 650 grain bullet, I am only having exhaust printing on the first baffle. The Barrett brake was designed to handle 200 plus grains of a very slow burning powder.

Cool project. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Neal

nonnieselman

HA,
    I know what you guys are saying..
    My machinist is bringing me one of the brakes he made so i can look at it when i give him my rifle today.

The suppressor im using is the YHM Phantom QD that uses this Flash Hider..

I wish they made a brake that had the QD threads on it.

Basic Member

PLEASE be considerate of others if you shoot at a range. Stay a min of 10ft from others as the side blast is dangerous, especially with the design type you showed. I have been hit many times from flying fragments from these brakes on others rifles at the range. Those people have been arrogant, telling me I need to move, especially after they showed up later than me.

Unless you are sitting to the side when someone else shoots, you have no idea how harmful they are to others. The concussion is harder on ones hearing than if they we next to some one with a std rifle and not wearing hearing protection.

I might be in the minority, on this, but I feel they should only be allowed in certain areas of a range, ie, where the benches are 20ft or more apart, or at a bench that has solid walls either side, between them and other shooters.

nonnieselman

I never shoot rifles at the local range. But i do know what your talking about and ive been beside a M99 goin off and my hat disappeared off my head ;D

Another reason im getting the Suppressor also, we do alot of deer control on the farm at night and i think the can would be nice.

Most of my long range shooting/practice i do alone, unless a friend comes along to spot for me.

I understand, and will be sure to always keep people in mind before i blast away.

nonnieselman

Here is my range btw..
    Do all my blasting here to sight in and plink away..

1140yds to the tree line

[/img]