Thread: Savage Model 11 Replacement Stock

Mike716

Savage Model 11 Replacement Stock

I have a Savage Model 11 GCNS .308 Winchester with wood stock and detachable magazine. The rifle is quiet accurate under 400yds, but the walnut stained wood stock has cracked now, and has not been the most durable. This wood stock weighs just under 2 1/2 lbs.

I was wondering what stock you guys would recommend for a stock with increased durability over wood without increasing the weight, something that would be just stiff enough to maintain the rifle's accuracy, and for less than 200-250 dollars? Also, I would prefer something that I can just bolt in place without having to dremel, etc., unless it is a very simple modification that a rifle idiot could complete. :) Thank you, I look forward to your recommendations.

Hopefully this product exhists. The only option so far that I have see come close to these criteria in my searching, is the Hogue pillar bedded stock.

Mike

Don't know about the detach mag stocks, never had one. But look at the action spacing and look at stock makers.

The weight question nobody can answer, except you.
    Personally, I can't see weight being an issue for anyone who is not somehow disabled, and wants to be outdoors. I walk sections(1 square mile) at a time hunting in this country, I carry my 308 with me. That rifle is 19.6#. Empirically it is heavy, but I don't see it as a "problem" to pack it around the hills at those distances. That may or may not align with your sensibilities, but like recoil; it's individual.

Boyds stocks are very durable. B&C Duramaxx stocks are durable and light, if you don't mind plastic.

Best wishes
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

You'd have to put up with some additional weight but, it's hard to beat a laminate stock from Boyd's.

Mike716
    Thanks guys for the info. Looking at these choices, I may still have to go with the Hogue. Weight is very important to me since this rifle may still have to go on wildnernss mule deer hunts which are 5-10 miles in one way, and where every pound is important on the way out if loaded up with meat. The Hogue stock is not much heavier than the old wood stock, and it is supposed to screw right on without need for modification.