Thread: Creating a custom stock...long with pics

TOO Builder

Creating a custom stock...long with pics

I enjoy working with wood and have just finished my fifth rifle build with a custom stock. I thought I would share a few step by step pictures of the process I go to try and create a one of a kind rifle.

This is the fourth stock that Joel Russo has cut and shaped for me. It started to take shape late last summer when I got looking on ebay for a nice stock blank out of black walnut. After a few weeks of looking I finally won a bid on one that looked like it would make a nice stock. I had purchased a used B&C Medalist from a fellow Savageshooter member and planned to use it for the pattern.

After the blank arrived I called Joel to talk about the project. I wanted to add a fore arm tip and he suggested trying some Bubinga. Joel sent me some small pieces that I glued up into a block and cut it down to the same thickness as the blank.

First I started by setting up my drill press to drill a 1/4" hole centered at the fore arm end that would be for the dowl pin to locate the Bubinga tip. I also drilled the block of Bubinga that I glued up.

Next I locate where I want my tip and make a cut at about 60* on both the tip cap and the blank.

When that is done I dowl pin and glue the cap to the blank. I use Gorrilla Glue.

After that has fully dried I packed the blank along with the patern up and sent it off for Joel to do the shaping and inletting. He also added a Bubinga grip cap and butt pad. This is how it looks after he gets done with it.

Next is to prep it for bedding. The rifle is being built with a Savage target action, RB/LP. I use Parrish pillars for the front and middle pillar and for the rear piller I made one out of the threaded tube used for lamp fixtures. I drill several 3/16" holes in the bedding area to give the Devcon something to grip to. I then layer the barrel and the very rear of the tang with blue painters tape. This helps position the barreled action in the stock when bedding. When the Devcon is dry and the barreled action removed, remove the tape and both the barrel and the tang area will be free floated by the thickness of the tape that was applied.

Apply release agent to the action, I use neutral Kiwi paste shoe polish. After mixing the Devcon I apply it to the action area of the stock making sure I work it into the holes that I drilled and also to the groves in the pillars. Apply plenty of bedding compound so when you put the barreled action in the stock is squeezes out all over. Note the blue tape covering the stock, it will be a mess when you get done.

Next I clean up all the compound that squeezes out and then use black electrical tape to wrap around the action area several times to hold everything together while the Devcon is setting up. I leave it set 12-14 hours before removing the barreled action. Next is the clean up and all the final finish sanding to prep for final finish.

The pillars usually end up aprox. flush with the bottom of the stock. The Parrish pillars measure just under 5/8" dia. so I purchased a 5/8" counterbore with a 1/4" pilot to counterbore the pillars deep enough so the head of the action screw or bolt is flush with the bottom of the stock. I use regular 1/4-28 stainless bolts for the action screws. I also bed the trigger guard as the cut out has usually been slightly bigger leaving a small gap between the wood and trigger guard.

For finishing I use tung oil sprayed on with a small hoby air brush. I thin the first coat out with mineral spirits so it soaks in good. After that I spray it full strength sanding between coats and generally apply 4-6 coats. I have the rifle finished but just have not had the time to get any good pics of it outside. If weather allows I am hoping to start load development in the next couple days so will post some pics of the finished rifle.

Uncle Jack

Re: Creating a custom stock...long with pics

Nice looking piece of wood. With a little tung oil it should be spectacular.

uj

dcloco

Good "wood" and great work TooBuilder!

firemachine69

Where's the pic of the finished project? ;D