Thread: Got my new target action, but......

Tbob

Got my new target action, but......

OK, got the new dual port target action in today. Upon opening up, I noticed there were no action screws in the box. I thought I read that they came with it. I tried calling Savage but they have bankers hours. I will call tomorrow but in the meantime thought I would ask. Do they or do they not come with action screws??
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr314/Yotedawg/savaction1.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr314/Yotedawg/savaction2.jpg[/img]

82boy

Re: Got my new target action, but......

I dont believe that they come with screws.

What's the difference between the "target" actions and the regular Savage actions?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Different trigger, single shot, and port configuration.

Repeater target actions are in the LRPV series.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Dirk

From the Savage website....

Action Details:
    [img width=600 height=229]http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/target.png[/img]

Action Only - Target Actions:
    Target actions include: Bolt assembly, trigger group assembly, barrel locknut, recoil lug and trigger guard.

Action Only - Target Actions:
    Target actions include: Bolt assembly, trigger group assembly, barrel locknut, recoil lug and trigger guard.

Dirk has it right. Atleast that was what mine came with.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Action screws aren't included as Savage has 2 or 3 different lengths depending on what stock it's mounted into.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

For what you pay for a target action, they should come with an assortment of action screws.

Regardless of what stock you use, it would be a great thing if Savage were to include the different action screw lengths.

Any guesses on how much a couple sets of action screws really cost Savage?

Basic Member

They are about $14 or so, at least when I got some for their HS Precision LRPV Stock.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by Carvera
    For what you pay for a target action, they should come with an assortment of action screws.

Regardless of what stock you use, it would be a great thing if Savage were to include the different action screw lengths.
    I agree with you. Those screws probably don't cost them more than a few pennies in the quantities they deal with. If you knew in advance it wouldn't be an issue but what a pain to end up with a brand new action and no way to install it in your stock. You can't just head to the hardware store in most places and buy a screw that fits properly. I have made some out of grade 8 hex head screws from the hardware store in a pinch. The one for the front screw will work without modification other than grinding to length but the one for the rear screw has to have some material removed to fit flush. Of course those are high carbon steel which don't look as nice with a stainless trigger guard. Good luck finding a stainless hex head screw in a small town....

That's too bad.....

Were you a little confused on as to how screws could cost that much? I'm assuming that was a shipped cost, but still.

Basic Member

Try Fastenal--look them up on the web--You can order them or have them shipped to a local store for pickup. Seem to remember they were less than a buck each for SS or black. You'll have to buy long and then cut them down. Steve

fatdaddy

I got some from ace hardware, had them on the shelf and the right length. Bill

Basic Member

Fastenal has the correct srews online. I just odered 10 stainless and 10 "blued" that should be here any day. I ordered them long so that I could cut them to fit whatever stock I may be using.

I believe they were about $1 each.

Andrew

Tony Gettel

I just picked up a bunch at the local Fastenal in western Mn. .59 each. If you have trouble finding them where you live drop me a line and I will send you a couple.

Tony

Tbob

A call to Savage got my screws coming. I was asked what type of stock I would be using so they could send the correct length. I got two sets since I'm also building a 308 on a target action for a friend. Cost $28 for both sets. Next time, I'll go to Fastenall. Now if SSS will get my stock to me and Shilen get's my barrel chambered, I'll be ready to get this 6br built. I'm anxious to shoot it.

Uncle Jack

Quote Originally Posted by fatdaddy
    I got some from ace hardware, had them on the shelf and the right length. Bill
    Me too.....1/4 28. I bought a dozen of them and washers.

uj