Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Walnut Hunter

Basic Member

Yes you do! I have been waiting, your previous endeavor was very inspirational. I have another one in case I want to go back to sporter contour(&#129300. Am currently drying some chestnut from our property to add as forend and grip cap material. We'll see. Maybe a resurgence of nice wood stocks:)

Basic Member
    And thanks to you to Mr. Theboom.

Basic Member
    So my scope is back and remounted with different rings and it weighs roughly 12 lbs. Not gonna feel much recoil with this setup:)

Basic Member
    Scope mounted using a Redfield one piece base and Burris Signature rings.

Will shoot it this weekend for getting the scope close and maybe get some handloads off.

Brandon
    “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas Edison

Basic Member
    Little bit of range time finally. This is 200 yds. which will be almost the max for hunting, unless I am in the one blind that has a really good shooting rest. Anyway, upper left is the 95gr. Nosler's that I shot last year, just pulled out a bit to rest .010" off the lands. Top right is 105 Amax over 36.5gr of H4350, bottom right is 37.5gr., both off the lands about .010". The center was the most interesting for me, the group of three (that were blacked for comparison) were as fast as I could manage and the fourth one to the left near the bull was after a 2-click scope correction (one inch at that range). They were Hornady American Whitetail factory loaded 100gr. Interlock!!! 1/2 MOA out of a factory (relatively cheap) ammo!! Loving this barrel so far, I can't wait to do a real ladder test with the Berger's I have and see if a tight node comes out of it. Right now I am hunting with and zeroed for the 100gr Hornady.

Trying to find something to use to get my cheek weld raised up a bit. That won't look gawd awful on the walnut.
    “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas Edison

Basic Member
    Make the comb adjustable

Basic Member
    I am going to give this a try, a little more "tactical" than I wanted, but it is a good starting point, and relatively cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

We shall see.

Basic Member
    Eh. It's ok but I just like the way the adjustable comb looks. I may do it on my Richards Microfit when it arrives. Seems like I've been waiting for 4 years along with my barrel already

Basic Member
    Adjustable combs are sweet, but it took a lot for me to relieve the barrel channel to fit the varmint contour after having spent so much time on the stock in the first place. The only way I would do the adjustable comb would be like this http://www.graco-corp.com/t/adjustable-comb-hardware

From here on I will be doing things that are reversible. Or at least things that are totally upgrades and no looking back, like relieving for a CBI bottom metal and magazine. But even then, for the time being, this is still just a hunting rifle:)

Basic Member
    That is kind of what I was taking about. I've seen several kits but personally I'd prefer to see the wood of the stock when the comb is raised but to each his own

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123