Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accustock Accuracy Screw tightening

Savage Hunter

Accustock Accuracy Screw tightening

I've recently read on another forum that once an Accustock is removed from a Savage rifle, original factory accuracy is very difficult/next to impossible to regain once it is reinstalled. Has anyone on this forum experienced this after reinstalling an Accustock?

hailstone

Re: Accustock Accuracy

Do a search as this has been covered in detail several times. If memory serves one thread went through the proceedure too tune the factory stock as originally installed. Your on the right forum too get accurate information.

The Savage website I believe gives you directions on how to properly put the stock back on. Tightening the action screws has to be done in a certain sequence.

Personally, I dont like the idea and would much rather just bed the action myself. But I guess this system is geared toward the people who never plan on taking there gun apart ::).. But it's a Savage, they oughta know we nuts cant leave nothing alone :D.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

longpoker

Been there ,Done that. The accustock work as advertised,all you need is a torque driver.

Uncle Jack

Something I gleaned from a previous post. I do not know from whom:

I thought I'd pass along this info;

The other day I had a informative conversation with Mr. Chris Bezzina (main engineer at Savage Arms) who played a key part in the development of the AccuStock. I wanted to get detailed information on torque specs for the 10 LE weapons series. There is a sequence for reassembling in the manuals but for ultimate accuracy wanted by advanced shooters the recommended sequence is as follows.

Proper Adjustment of The AccuStock
    There is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock, and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug “wedge” screw is backed out to the point where the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat against the bottom of the aluminum rail.

2. With the action inserted into the stock, justify the action toward the rear of the stock to allow the recoil lug on the action to be seated against the boss on the aluminum rail.

3. Tighten the forward most screw to 10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the aluminum rail boss, then back out one-half turn.

4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

6. Tighten the forward action screw to 10 in.-lbs

Repeat steps four through six and increase torque value in increments up to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.

Note: It is extremely important to tighten per the instructions above because when you are tightening the action down into the AccuStock you are spreading the aluminum side rails and evenly moving the action down onto the base of the rail, ensuring positive engagement.

—Chris Bezzina, Savage Arms

Savage Hunter

Uncle Jack, thanks for the detailed instructions. Just so I'm clear, regarding steps 4-6, does one tighten each screw in constant 10lb increments until 40-45lbs is achieved per screw?

Uncle Jack

Re: Accustock Accuracy Screw tightening

I do not know, but I assume so. That is how I would do it. The information is what I read.

uj

longpoker

That is the proper way to do it. I have had mine apart several times and have tighten each screw as per instructions. Make sure you use Inch" lbs, not foot lbs.

Good shooting.

cfvickers

Once you fiddle with it a few times you may very well beat the savage factory accuracy. I have with my LRH. A bit tedious but tightness has not affected accuracy in my rifle. Just have to make sure it is squared in the stock and the barrel is floating where it looks to be setting almost too high in stock. Tighten the accuracy screw and the rear screw first then the one next to the magazine while ensuring the the barrel is centered in the forend. This is the easiest way if you do not have a torque driver. I am getting groups in the .2s at 191 yards (my longest available range).

found a sales display for the accustock

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/img1301264770676.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/img1301264901481.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/img1301264980921.jpg[/img]
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

kdvarmint

Excellent thread. Gonna retorque my sons 243.

Basic Member

No wonder folks seem to have so much trouble setting the torque on these, they are drawn with left handed threads :P :P

look@ the threads in the bottom pic.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Interesting... I just purchased a 10PC (fluted, 5R, threaded muzzle) today, and while it has an Accustock (complete with stickers) there is no wedge in there... just a notch in the bedding/frame/whatever-you-call-it for the recoil lug to nestle into.

Ahh... did a little more reading in the manual (crazy thought!) and I see I have a version/generation 2 stock. Makes sense... I saw a sticker inside the stock that said somethin-somthin "#2" which had me wondering what that was all about.

Basic Member

One thing you want to check....make sure that the bottom of the recoil lug is not bottomed out before the receiver touchs the chassis. I've seen this on several guns, and believe me it will make them shoot screwy.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Good point, Fred.

Is there a better way to do this than just checking the depth with the tail of a set of calipers?

Gregg Jacob

I've also found that once you have torqued everything down to the instructions above go out and shoot it and then re-torque. Check this torque value after every shooting session till the torque stays the same. Once you know everything has settled you're set. I read somewhere about fine tuning this torque value and it works great. By loosening the rear screw, I have a 10fcp-k with the rear screw under the bolt release, then setting torque to 20in-lbs and shoot a 5shoot group with your most accurate load...then increase the torque in 5in-lb settings shooting 5 shot groups..up to 45in-lbs. I diffidently saw my groups tighten up around 30in-lb where I keep it.

mini14gb

I just bought a Model 10 Predator Max 1 in 223 today now I'm wondering which generation of stock I have?

Take the stock off... mine had a little sticker up in the barrel channel.

I'm guessing if its new production, it's probably Gen 2

pizzabox

What tool or wrench is required to re-torque the Accu-stock?

5/32 allen wrench...

kdvarmint

I assume the forward most screw is the wedge screw. Torque to 10 inch pounds then turn out 1/2 turn it reads. Is this the "final" setting for the wedge or am I missing something?

Gen 2 stocks don't use a wedge...

What torque sequence do you use with a Gen 2 stock?

Honestly, I'm not that picky or ritualistic about the whole thing. Start the screws, tip the gun up so the recoil lug seats in its recess, tighten to snug fore and aft, then torque as needed fore and aft.

mini14gb

Quote Originally Posted by hlesley
    What torque sequence do you use with a Gen 2 stock?
    This is a good question. I have both versions of the stock. If it were me on the Gen 2 stock I'd start with the forward screw at 10 pounds then the rear alternating in 5-10 pound increments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast