Thread: B-Mag Problems

B-Mag Problems

The more I read about this rifle/cartridge, the more I'm inclined to stay away from it! I don't understand why Savage can't get it right. I thought 22 Mag ammo was made from "unobtainium", 17WSM is even worse.

djames6487
    I love my gun and the bullets. They are getting easier and easier to find. Especially with hornady and federal on board manufacturing them.

ebrown
    I just got mine- the stainless steel bull barrel. I've only shot about 60 rounds through it. The stock is flimsy and cheap, but it has good clearance from the barrel and doesn't seem to affect accuracy for me. I had two misfires with Winchester ammunition. Both worked on the second try. Accuracy at 100 yards was about 1.5 inch, of which at least half an inch was me. It's pretty easy now to find ammo online. I live in a small community and I'd be amazed to find any locally. Seems to feed reliably. I think I'm going to love mine. Haven't decided if I'll give it a good stock. It would look and feel nicer but be heavier.

I read about all the problems, but they seem to be mostly the earlier rifles and ammo. It seems like the problems have mostly been fixed now. I think

MoToad
    New rifle also. Couple hundred rounds thru her now. No evidence of any casing failure. All Winchester, both 20 and 25 grn. I find the accuracy incredible up to 200yds. Haven't tried farther yet. The bolt is a little klunky but I am sure I can get used to it and given time will probably get smoother. Have had a couple of non firing events due to the bolt not cocking which was quickly corrected with a quick up and down recocking.
    At the price, who can complain? And, come spring, Gophers look out!
    Last edited by MoToad; 01-12-2015 at 08:47 PM.

NachoOne

Replace Bmag Skinny barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ebrown View Post
    I just got mine- the stainless steel bull barrel. I've only shot about 60 rounds through it. The stock is flimsy and cheap, but it has good clearance from the barrel and doesn't seem to affect accuracy for me. I had two misfires with Winchester ammunition. Both worked on the second try. Accuracy at 100 yards was about 1.5 inch, of which at least half an inch was me. It's pretty easy now to find ammo online. I live in a small community and I'd be amazed to find any locally. Seems to feed reliably. I think I'm going to love mine. Haven't decided if I'll give it a good stock. It would look and feel nicer but be heavier.

I read about all the problems, but they seem to be mostly the earlier rifles and ammo. It seems like the problems have mostly been fixed now. I think

Hi there Ebrown, How doers one get the stainless steel barrel? I just bought a new skinny Bmag, but want a bull barrel.
    Thank you for your help.

ebrown
    Sorry- I think my wording was misleading. I bought it with the stainless heavy barrel. I haven't checked into barrel switching, but I would assume you'd have to either (1) contact Savage and see if they would replace it. I know they have done it for some customers, but generally when there was some warrantee replacement, or (2) Go to somebody like apache gun works (advertiser on this site) and get a replacement barrel, and do the swap. Neither is fast.

I just ordered the ss heavy barrel version from Buds for $305/shipped. Hope I like it as well as my other Savages.

I noticed recently that our Academy Sports has the Winchester brand 17 WSM ammunition now. Their ammo stock has really gotten better in the last month The shelves are full of everything except (of course) 35 Remington.
    Last edited by GaCop; 02-09-2015 at 11:11 AM.

It seems it may have been at least in part due to the ammo. I hope so anyway as I have a lot of faith in Savage & hope they got or get it right.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hawg Killer

Thumbs Up Savage 17 WSM Bmag bull barrel

I am thinking along the lines of a couple others about the complaints of the 17WSM stainless Bull Barrel.
    I really do not have any complaints. For the $'s spent for this rifle I am quite happy, I think some people lose track of what they are getting for $'s spent. I am having only 1 minor issue with mine and that is the mag itself has a tendency to not lock in place without just a little help from my finger nail. So the locking tab needs just a lil persuasion and it stays in place. Called Savage and discussed the opportunity for improvement with them. They are graciously taking care of me.

Other than that this is one awesome critter rifle.
    I just purchased this a month ago after reading all the specs between this and the 17 HMR which I just sold to a friend of mine who had been bustin my chops that he wanted it.
    Nothing wrong with the Savage 17HMR with sweet 17 scope on it.
    I just fired 50 rounds through it this past weekend playing around with it. 20 grain Winchester rounds. Very impressive. I have a Bushnell scope on it and my 100yd pattern is right where it needs to be,
    I am now ready to go try it out this weekend on some HOG hunting.

BTW, I have several Savage weapons and had an issue with an earlier rifle. Called Savage and discussed the issue, was well taken care of.
    I think some problems may arise out of lack of understanding, or maybe expectations? or just not communicating effectively and courteously.
    No I am not a SAVAGE employee.
    Happy HAWG Hunting dudes.

Hawg Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg Killer View Post
    I am thinking along the lines of a couple others about the complaints of the 17WSM stainless Bull Barrel.
    I really do not have any complaints. For the $'s spent for this rifle I am quite happy, I think some people lose track of what they are getting for $'s spent. I am having only 1 minor issue with mine and that is the mag itself has a tendency to not lock in place without just a little help from my finger nail. So the locking tab needs just a lil persuasion and it stays in place. Called Savage and discussed the opportunity for improvement with them. They are graciously taking care of me.

I just purchased this a month ago after reading all the specs between this and the 17 HMR which I just sold to a friend of mine who had been bustin my chops that he wanted it.
    I just fired 50 rounds through it this past weekend playing around with it. 20 grain Winchester rounds. Very impressive. I have a Bushnell scope on it and my 100yd pattern is right where it needs to be,

BTW, I have several Savage weapons and had an issue with an earlier rifle. Called Savage and discussed the issue, was well taken care of.
    I think some problems may arise out of lack of understanding, or maybe expectations? or just not communicating effectively and courteously.
    So Now I have to send the rifle back to Savage for evaluation. Seems the mag they sent me does the same thing . I offered solutions for a fix in a picture form. Time will tell here.

stephenlnoe
    17 WSM is NOT enough gun for hogs. A full grown hog will laugh at it. The small yearlings maybe with a well placed head shot while their skulls are small. On a big hog? Forget it. You'll have to go for the vitals and a 25 grain is not enough. You need at least a 145 grain. I've seen guys put 9mm right to the head of a pig and it will not go through the skull. Hog is a tough animal to take. Go for the vitals. Keep the 17WSM in the class it was made for (varmints). If you're not shooting varmints and are looking to bust hogs get the right gun. At least get a 20 Gauge with slugs or a 308.

m2c

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg Killer View Post

I have hesitated to buy one because, like some of you, the gun comes of feeling 'cheap' and I don't like the fact that the bolt, when pulled back, rocks up and down and doesn't lock in the open position. Maybe they fixed it on later guns but the first ones did that.

Wonder why they didn't just add the caliber to the Mark II line or R93?

I'm waiting and hoping they do in the future.

bobbyj
    Last edited by bobbyj; 03-26-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typos

djames6487
    From what I understand they didn't add it to the MKII line because of the pressures created by the new round they had to design a new bolt for it. I wouldn't count on seeing a .17WSM Mark II any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by djames6487 View Post
    From what I understand they didn't add it to the MKII line because of the pressures created by the new round they had to design a new bolt for it. I wouldn't count on seeing a .17WSM Mark II any time soon.
    Well, I just checked the Savage website and they, in fact, now offer one in stainless steel, heavy barrel with the MKII laminated stock. Looks cool but I still haven't got the pic loading down so you will have to go to the site on your own to see it. Wish it came in southpaw.

bobbyj