Thread: Convert Savage 12BVSS from 308 WIN to 300 BLK?

GaryBF

Convert Savage 12BVSS from 308 WIN to 300 BLK?

I currently own a Savage 12BVSS chambered in 308 WIN. I posted here in November 2013 about my disappointment with out of the box accuracy, however, that is not the subject here, so I’ll move on.

The recent introduction of the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 AAC Blackout, the offerings from Remington, and maybe Mossberg, have me thinking there may be a place for the 300 BLK cartridge in a bolt action rifle. So, I have started doing some reading about the round, although most of the discussion is centered on the AR platform, of course. What information I have found seems encouraging, with some reports of excellent accuracy.

As background, I am not a hard-core rifle shooter or reloader. I do not hunt, compete, or shoot long range. My rifle shooting is off the bench at 100 yards, 200 yards at most, and only at paper targets. I have no interest in buying a suppressor.

Compared to my 308 WIN, the 300 AAC Blackout is intriguing because of its smaller case and lower powder charge. I believe this translates to less muzzle blast and felt recoil. The 300 BLK looks like it would be easy to reload, and I like the larger .308 bullets for the available variety, ease of handling, and bigger holes. For me, the 308 WIN is overkill.

Conversion should be pretty straightforward, I believe, requiring only a barrel and small bolt head. I only single load, so the magazine parts are not a concern.

So my question for the forum is does converting to the 300 AAC Blackout make any sense, or is this just a dumb idea? My reading here has not found much in the way of discussion on the 300 Blackout cartridge, so I am interested in your comments and experience, if any. Thanks.

You will need a bolt head for a .223 and the different front baffle to control the bolt throw but not entirely necessary. You will need the .223 mag box and spring and follower and that is it. I would pick a pointy bullet to use and feeding should be fine once you pick the barrel you need along with a barrel nut wrench and receiver wrench all from Jim at Northlandshooterssupply, his number is 1-763-682-4296
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

D.ID
    "Compared to my 308 WIN, the 300 AAC Blackout is intriguing because of its smaller case and lower powder charge. I believe this translates to less muzzle blast and felt recoil. The 300 BLK looks like it would be easy to reload, and I like the larger .308 bullets for the available variety, ease of handling, and bigger holes. For me, the 308 WIN is overkill."
    Sounds like a loaded down 308 win is what you need.
    I rechambered my 300 blackout to 308 win for Better ejection, better accuracy and more versatility. I hate to rain on anyones parade but......"So my question for the forum is does converting to the 300 AAC Blackout make any sense, or is this just a dumb idea? " No, makes no sense.

I agree that it makes no sense if you're a reloader. Load your 308 ammo down to 300blackout levels and move on. Or take the money you were going to spend on converting and put it into a high quality barrel in 6BR or the likes.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

GaryBF
    Thanks, guys. I was beginning to lose hope of getting any meaningful feedback. Any more?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBF View Post
    Thanks, guys. I was beginning to lose hope of getting any meaningful feedback. Any more?
    No sense at all. I made the very mistake of trying to rebarrel a Savage to 300BLK. Loooong story, but I didn't do sufficient research beforehand. As I was building it, it extracted and ejected dummy rounds fine (with bullets), but it never dawned on me to try ejection of an empty case.

All of the time and $ put into it, and it won't eject spent brass. I NOW find out that it is a very common issue, and I'm assuming that it is the main reason Savage killed the idea of a 10/110 in 300BLK. The extractor pulls it out of the chamber, but it and the ejector can't hold on to it. Usually the brass is long enough for its neck to drag against the inside of the receiver due to the pressure from the ejector while the rim is still trapped under the extractor. When the neck passes into the ejection port, the ejector is then able to push it further, flinging it out of the port. The blackout case falls out of the extractor as soon as it leaves the chamber, because it is too short to be trapped against the inside of the receiver. The ejector is maxed out and it limply falls from beneath the extractor, right on top of the magazine.

I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong, but there is apparently no real fix short of re-engineering the extractor/ejector, just some bandaids that people have had mixed results with. The geometry is just too far off. I'm trying to get ahold of SSS to see if they still have their improved-ejection kits, which is one of the bandaids mentioned here some time ago.

So, I'd say DON'T DO IT!

ETA: after replying, I reread your post and discovered I didn't catch where you say you are fine with single loading. In that case, If you really want to shoot a lot of subsonic (suppressed or not), it may be worth while. Just remove the ejector and the case usually stays in the bolt head upon extraction, making it easier to pick it out of the action. If you're wanting to shoot primarily supersonic, it is back to making no sense.
    Last edited by alfxj; 02-10-2015 at 09:29 PM.

GaryBF
    alfxj,
    Thanks for the reply. Since my original post and replies, I have cooled on the idea and will try some .308 light loads instead. Hodgdon Trailboss powder seems interesting and I already have some on hand.

As you surmised, ejection issues would not be a concern for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBF View Post
    alfxj,
    Thanks for the reply. Since my original post and replies, I have cooled on the idea and will try some .308 light loads instead. Hodgdon Trailboss powder seems interesting and I already have some on hand.

As you surmised, ejection issues would not be a concern for me.
    Light loads with light bullets translates to lower recoil. I'm not sure if you are new to shooting but a 308 really is pretty mild for recoil. You may have issues with the fit of the rifle to you. My buddy has an older 257 Roberts and that thing bites my shoulder because the stock is so long but my 3006 feels like it kicks less because the stock and recoil pad fit me so well. Yes loading with lighter bullets and lower powder charges will certainly help but you may also want to check how the rifle fits you.