Thread: model 11 with a boyds stock or model 10

mason2011

model 11 with a boyds stock or model 10

I am trying to decide between the model 11 trophy hunter xp and the model 10 trophy hunter xp. The gun will be purchased through bass pro since I have some gift cards to there. From the research I have done, it seems like everything is the same on these guns except the stock, so if I am wrong on that I would appreciate if someone corrected me. The gun will be a .308 and used to shoot at the range, either off sandbags or on a bipod. There is a price difference of about $80 between the two, so I am thinking if the stock is the only difference, I could purchase the 11 then take that $80 saved and put it towards a Boyds stock which seem to sell for around $100. My hope would be for this gun to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards and 2 inch groups at 200 yards (the furthest local ranges go). If anyone has any insight on which way would be better to go, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Mason

Basic Member
    Both of these have what's often called a "Axis Style" detachable box magazine. If you go with the model 11, and later "upgrade" to a Boyds stock, you will have to buy a $15 plastic part from Savage for the DBM system. No big deal, maybe, but you must figure that into the cost of the Boyd's stock.

The model 10 already comes with this $15 part (it's a plastic bottom metal which holds/keeps the DBM in place when using wood stocks).

Other than that, they are the same.

Personally, without seeing the actual gun (model 10), unless it's NOT particularly pretty wood, I would just go with it.
    Last edited by foxx; 01-11-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: I first ID'ed 11 as wood... but 10 is wood.

Team Savage
    As you have discovered the only difference between the model 10 and model 11 TH are the stocks. One is plastic and the other is hardwood with a faux walnut finish. The part foxx is talking about is the DBM frame assembly (surround). On the plastic stock (model 11/111) the frame assembly is molded into the stock. On the hardwood version (model 10/110), the plastic frame assembly is a separate part. If you plan to shoot off a bipod, I recommend going with a wood stock, since they will have a stiffer forearm and grip. If you prefer a different stock style (varmint, thumb hole) and walnut or laminated wood stock, the Boyd's aftermarket stocks offer you more choice. You will get more for a hardwood stock if you want to sell as a new take-off or down the road. A Savage plastic stock is almost impossible to sell, but makes for a good light-weight utility stock.

Another option is to go with the model 10/110 TH hardwood stock and paint it any way you like. The picture below shows a Savage hardwood stock painted with a DuraCoat base coat and Krylon webbing spray paint. I also added a Pachmayr 1" Decellerator pad and bedded the action and recoil lug.

Last edited by jpdown; 01-11-2015 at 06:49 PM.