Thread: Lucky story : Wrong time - wrong place.

Hallbilly

Lucky story : Wrong time - wrong place.

Just reading an article in a local hunting magazine written by a chap reviewing a new rifle.
    He had just finished sighting on a gong at 1000 yards when a stag popped up at the same range and about 50 feet to one side.
    Apparently the animal must have been having a snooze and stuck its head up to see what all the noise was about.
    Well.... as it happened, this was the last thing it ever did.
    I'm not a luck hunter, I dream about having range, wind and position all set up, then just waiting for a target appear.
    Any one got any lucky stories ?

Nothing like that! I have seen some turkeys hanging around my local range, including a big Jake chasing a few hens behind the 50 yard berm. Still, not great rifle quarry even if they had been in season. There was also a groundhog that decided to graze in front of my target at the 100 yard line, but it was a state park range an there's no shooting at any animals.

Psst...Don't tell the DNR Officers, but I did blast a few bugs that landed on my target with my .22 match rifle.

Basic Member
    Fact is all stories relating to a successful hunt include an element of luck.
    But being the great hunters many of us are, we just tend to ignore that fact.

Basic Member
    Luck? or LACK of luck?

Depends upon your perspective or who you're asking. :)

Basic Member
    A couple of years ago I was out at my range on opening day to verify a zero on a rifle I'd been working up a load on. When I finished, I walked up to the target stand to collect the target and a small buck appeared in a clearing in the mesquite trees about 75 yards behind the berm. I ran a cartridge into the chamber, laid the rifle across the target stand, and popped him! Got my opening day buck without ever going to the blind, and in the middle of the day! Never had anything even close to that happen before or since.

Basic Member
    2x with deer crossing the berm. 1x with a fox attracted to gunfire, a Pavlovian behavior reinforced by hunters peppering pheasants. A real bird dog!

D.ID
    5 to 1
    For every 1 time I just got lucky there were 5 times I worked really hard and persistent in order to be the lucky one.