Thread: Anyone have access to or try the new IMR powders?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Anyone have access to or try the new IMR powders?

And to think I spent the last 4 years scrounging so I could have a lifetime supply of 4320, 4350, 4064, 4895, RL15, RL19, 7828 and a few others.

Now I have to start all over again...

http://www.imrpowder.com/shotpist.html
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Frank, I have yet to see any on the shelf anywhere in East Tennessee. They look good, but I am like you. I have a good supply of most powders. No longer do I go chasing after the perfect powder and bullet for each rifle. I have standardized on about four rifle powders and have been shooting up my stash of left over powders that have been on the shelf for 10 years. Lately I have been concentrating on Ramshot powders. Too bad I can't find any Tac or Big Game.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    Frank, I have yet to see any on the shelf anywhere in East Tennessee. They look good, but I am like you. I have a good supply of most powders. No longer do I go chasing after the perfect powder and bullet for each rifle. I have standardized on about four rifle powders and have been shooting up my stash of left over powders that have been on the shelf for 10 years. Lately I have been concentrating on Ramshot powders. Too bad I can't find any Tac or Big Game.
    Ramshot powders seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth. I use a lot of Hunter, but haven't seen any for over a year.

Grafs has some of the new stuff in stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    I hear ya on chasing powder & experimenting. I've been using mostly 4350, 4064 & RL19 for almost everything. I suppose someday I'll come up with use for all those "other powders" I have. Maybe if I run out of my regular stuff.
    Part of the problem is the Reloader's OCD Syndrome. I see a new powder & go into hyperventilation wondering if I should track some down & try it.

We need a support group.

LongRange
    i was just checking out gunbot and seen a few places that have or had some of the new IMR powders...butches and natchez looked like they had some.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i was just checking out gunbot and seen a few places that have or had some of the new IMR powders...butches and natchez looked like they had some.
    I nominate you to get a can of each, try it out by running a full OCW on each & report back to us.

And stop telling where I can buy some.
    You're enabling my addiction...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Pssssst....Book's Market in Blain, Pa. has or had 4166, and IIRC 4451.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I am not listening to Bill... I am not listening to Bill..... LALALALALALAALALALALALALALALA!...
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 01-13-2015 at 01:10 PM.

LongRange
    I nominate you to get a can of each, try it out by running a full OCW on each & report back to us.

You're enabling my addiction...
    LMAO...ive just about burnt out a barrel playing with different powders so i think im going to stick with what shoots....not really i have a short attention span so i know as soon as i see some on the shelf local ill be testing it out...every time i go in the store i come out a $100 bucks broker wondering what im going to eat that week LOL.

Basic Member
    LMAO...ive just about burnt out a barrel playing with different powders so i think im going to stick with what shoots....not really i have a short attention span so i know as soon as i see some on the shelf local ill be testing it out...every time i go in the store i come out a $100 bucks broker wondering what im going to eat that week LOL.
    Right.
    You're a reloader and you're going to stick with what shoots.
    Uh-huh....

Did you forget who you're trying to convince? We ALL know better.
    Nice try.

LongRange
    Right.
    You're a reloader and you're going to stick with what shoots.
    Uh-huh....

Did you forget who you're trying to convince? We ALL know better.
    Nice try.
    ALWAYS looking for better arent we lol.

Basic Member
    ALWAYS looking for better arent we lol.
    Whether we find it or not, we continue our search for the ultimate powder.
    And just when we think we have it, we try a different bullet and find we need to try a different powder for THAT bullet.
    And when we find the best powder for THAT bullet, we try a different primer.
    And just about the time we think we have a good combo for THAT primer, we try another brand of brass.
    And when we fully believe we have the perfect combo with THAT primer, THAT bullet & THAT brass, we buy another rifle or swap out the barrel because we burned the old one out.
    And when....

God give me strength.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 01-14-2015 at 09:57 AM.

LongRange
    Whether we find it or not, we continue our search for the ultimate powder.
    And just when we think we have, we try a different bullet and find we need to try a different powder for THAT bullet.
    And when we find the best powder for THAT bullet, we try a different primer.
    And just about the time we think we have a good combo for THAT primer, we try another brand of brass.
    And when we fully believe we have the perfect combo with THAT primer, THAT bullet & THAT brass, we buy another rifle or swap out the barrel because we burned the old one out.
    And when....

God give me strength.
    LOL...and thats just the start of this addiction...i remember when i first started reloading...never cleaned brass,if the charge was close it was good enough,use what ever primers i had,jam bullets into the case a call it good and my bench was HUGE!! now it takes hours/days to prep brass and load and i feel like a silver back gorilla sitting at my tiny little bench and i only load for two riffles...its like a second job now but the only difference is i enjoy this one.

Basic Member
    LOL...and thats just the start of this addiction...i remember when i first started reloading...never cleaned brass,if the charge was close it was good enough,use what ever primers i had,jam bullets into the case a call it good and my bench was HUGE!! now it takes hours/days to prep brass and load and i feel like a silver back gorilla sitting at my tiny little bench and i only load for two riffles...its like a second job now but the only difference is i enjoy this one.
    I was the opposite.
    I figured clean, shiny brass always shot better. I would trickle a charge up to perfect weight. The scale was at eye level so I would be positive it was on the money. At one point, I was even measuring the primer depth the make sure they weren't too deep / shallow.

I'm still pretty OCD with powder measurement & neck tension but like so many before me I found clean brass does NOT shoot better than un-shiny brass. If primer depth varies by .000001 (+/-), it didn't matter.

And I still dump that little bit of powder in the bottom of the can into the new can.

So...
    When can we expect your report on these new powders? Do we need to apply for federal funding and run a feasibility study first?