Thread: Make target action a repeater ????

Battlehawk1025

Make target action a repeater ????

So contemplating another project in either 223 or 308... this time I want to base it of a target action in stainless steal. So the current model 12 lrp is out since its now in a blue instead of a stainless. I did alot of searching and nothing useful is really coming up. Is there any companies that will mill out the bottom or other ways to make the savage target action repeatable and not just a single shot. I know savage discontinued a model 12 lrpv 223 DBM a few years ago. I cant find any new or used. That is the type of action I am looking for. Thanks for all the help

Basic Member
    Talk to Jim at NSS. I believe what you are looking for is known as the Varmint Action.

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Talk to Jim at NSS. I believe what you are looking for is known as the Varmint Action.
    Varmint actions have an open top. Target actions have a small port/s (which is what I am looking for)

Basic Member
    Very well. I wasn't 100% sure, but you could still contact him and see what he has. May be able to work something out for you.

If your target action is 4.40" spaced, you should be able to mill the bottom out like a regular action. Probably will have to blend into the feed ramp a bit.

IMHO you'd be better off with a regular action in large or small shank but that JMHO.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Battlehawk1025
    Very well. I wasn't 100% sure, but you could still contact him and see what he has. May be able to work something out for you.
    Not a problem! Didn't mean for that to come off like an Ahole

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    If your target action is 4.40" spaced, you should be able to mill the bottom out like a regular action. Probably will have to blend into the feed ramp a bit.

IMHO you'd be better off with a regular action in large or small shank but that JMHO.
    Does any one know who can mill them?

I don't think that would be all that difficult. You could get a custom. A Shilen would allow you to use savage prefits.

sparky123321
    They come up every now and then on Gunbroker. I have one with that I upgraded with a Shilen barrel and PTG bottom metal to accept AI mags.

sparky123321
    Just to clarify my above post. The Target Action was made as a repeater with DBM from the factory. Not many around though.

Basic Member
    I could be wrong but I thought about a year ago someone posted that they had cdi precision mill the bottom out of there target action..

sparky123321
    Since the feed rails are in the magazine on a Savage DBM, unlike a Remington where they are machined in the action, opening up the action should be pretty simple. I wonder if the action on the 12 Long Range Precision is actually stainless steel even though it's blackened?

Battlehawk1025
    Cool thanks for the info folks! I'll let you know what I find

Do yourself a favor and just buy a standard repeater action.

The only "supposed" benefit of doing what you're suggesting is that the smaller port opening would make for a more rigid action, but that's assuming the standard repeater action is not sufficiently rigid for the job at hand with the larger port. An action only needs to be so rigid - any additional rigidity beyond that is wasted and just adds weight via excessive material. I have yet to see any scientific and validated evidence that the standard 110 repeater action is not sufficiently rigid on it's own, and that's backed up by 57 years of production rifles that have proven time and time again that they are more than capable of shooting groups good enough for benchrest competition.

Coincidentally, using a 1-piece rail scope mount on a standard repeater action will provide the same (supposed) additional rigidity as the smaller PTA port does, so it's a mute point and repeater actions can be had for $100-150 less than PTA's (not to mention even more money to have the PTA machined).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

sparky123321
    I'm a big fan of the Savage Target Actions. I've had probably a dozen or more over the years. Most have been the 3-bolt single shot, but I've had a couple repeaters. I'd advise waiting for a repeater Target Action rifle to come up used on Gunbroker. Whether or not it's needed is debatable, but the are smoother and stronger than the standard repeater. They also come with the 6oz red trigger.

Regarding the comment above, there is NO WAY a 1 piece scope base will give you the same structural integrity as a solid action with just a side port.

Basic Member
    That's why my next build Is going on a Shilen DGR Action. I sign the paperwork tomorrow and then the stupid 10 day Komifornia wait. Best of both worlds with a Rem700 footprint and threaded for Savage Pre-fits and barrel-nut.

Battlehawk1025
    Well I decided to order a model 12 vlp dbm in 223 and start a "upgrade" build off of that and will order a standard right bolt/ right bolt target action (18184) and start a 308 build and have the bottom milled out by CDI in the next few weeks. Does any one know the screw spacing on the target action ? Can't figure out if 3.4 or like that varmint actions and has a 4.41 screw spacing?

Repeater Target Action

I have a Repeater Target Action in my hand that I am using for a build and the screws are 4.410, what I'm wondering is will the centerfeed magazine in the stock work with this action?

Basic Member
    That's why my next build Is going on a Shilen DGR Action. I sign the paperwork tomorrow and then the stupid 10 day Komifornia wait. Best of both worlds with a Rem700 footprint and threaded for Savage Pre-fits and barrel-nut.
    I want one of those so bad but dang...I cant stomach the $1000 price tag they carry. By the time you add everything you need you are almost into full blown custom territory...

Basic Member
    Well if you add up all the costs of truing up a factory or target action, going to the DGR isn't so bad. Plus instead of trying to make an imperfect item close to perfect, you start out with an item that was cut perfect to begin with. Then you add in all the trigger and stock options added by it being a 700 Footprint and really the benefits outweigh the cost. I pick mine up tomorrow after work and have everything, but the stock for my build which I'm expecting next week.

Quote Originally Posted by wk4036 View Post
    I have a Repeater Target Action in my hand that I am using for a build and the screws are 4.410, what I'm wondering is will the centerfeed magazine in the stock work with this action?
    Yes, though your center-to-center measuring skills clearly need some attention.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Yes, though your center-to-center measuring skills clearly need some attention.
    Huh, must be an engineer!

It was a joke.

Battlehawk1025
    Well I should be getting back the action sometime in the next few weeks. Will test mount it on a stock I have laying around and report how going this path worked