Thread: Muzzle break...... Who should I have do it?

Basic Member

Muzzle break...... Who should I have do it?

I'm looking to have a muzzle break installed on my son's 300 RUM. He can handle it I'm sure, but for me its a little stout. The rifle isn't a Savage, its a Remington 700. I have had the rifle sitting into the safe for a few years unfired. After his hunting rifle was stolen a few weeks ago when he was home on leave I gave him the 300 RUM to replace his. I put it into a HS Precision full aluminum bedded stock, Larue Tactical 20 MOA base, Seeking rings, and a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-20-50 Scope. Its shooting Berger 210s very well for a factory barrel.

Anyway like I said I would like to have a break installed on it before I take it to him. I am open to suggestions

Thanks

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

BW64
    A less expensive solution is the Witt Machine clamp on brake. Have one on my 700 SPS with about 1000 rounds thru it & hasn't budged. They make it custom for your rifle. Just send them the dimensions they ask for on their site.

BW

reynoldsfamily3
    I am awaiting a APS Painkiller brake. I haven't shot it yet, but I have read outstanding reviews. Kirby will install the brakes too. He is great to work with.

tojo70
    These guys are great:
    https://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/

I had them install a brake on my 300WSM a few years ago and am very satisfied with their work.

Berger.Fan222
    Quote Originally Posted by BW64 View Post
    A less expensive solution is the Witt Machine clamp on brake. Have one on my 700 SPS with about 1000 rounds thru it & hasn't budged. They make it custom for your rifle. Just send them the dimensions they ask for on their site.

BW
    Interesting.

Ross Schuler.

I don't believe that he'll accept a barreled action though, you'll have to remove the barrel.

Avoid the clamp on. Go with a brake that's precision machined to be concentric with the bore.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input guys Im going to go with Mag-na-brake. Its 230 installed and I only have to ship the barreled action. Im not shooting the rifle any more until its installed. Just too much for me to shoot it accurately. He is gonna LOVE it! Lots of boom for a young EOD tech.... lol
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    Thanks for the input guys Im going to go with Mag-na-brake. Its 230 installed and I only have to ship the barreled action. Im not shooting the rifle any more until its installed. Just too much for me to shoot it accurately. He is gonna LOVE it! Lots of boom for a young EOD tech.... lol
    You have an excellent gun builder in your neck of the woods, why not try Greg 1st >>> http://www.gretanrifles.com/main.jsf

I will +2 about greg,he is great and gets it done in a timely manner.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    +1 on Ross Schuler, you won't find a better brake for a better price.

Basic Member
    Ive used ross schuler for a few years now. I just recently grabbed another for my 6.5 creedmoor.

Just got my 3 port Schuler brake yesterday but the round ports face down... shouldn't they face up? The side ports obviously are oriented correctly...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetickhound View Post
    Just got my 3 port Schuler brake yesterday but the round ports face down... shouldn't they face up? The side ports obviously are oriented correctly...
    They do face up. Sounds like you need to time it one rotation. Either use some shims or take a little off the brake.

greyghost
    I see you are from Colorado, That's a good thing, Get hold of High Tec Custom Rifles, Colorado Springs, His Name is Rich Riley, His brakes are 65% reduction
    He will thread barrel and build Brake for around 170.00 you just cant beat his Brakes, I have bought 2 of them and plan on buying 2 more.
    719-667-1090 This is his phone # Good Luck! My 300WM shoots like a 223

Wiil do. Thanks!! I'm very new to rifle shooting although I have been a handgunner many years. It seemed like muzzle flip would be ridiculous with the ports on bottom!! I'll fix it and go to.the range to try it out this Saturday.

My bro in law is farming in south Ga..... feral hogs are destroying his crops so you can guess how I got into shooting rifles and exactly which rifle I now proudly own!!