Thread: LH LA Stock Options

Basic Member

LH LA Stock Options

I am a Savage newbie and just picked up a 110 GLXP for my first build. It's a .30-06 and I have a new barrel coming. It appears to be a LA, LH, stagger feed non-accutrigger rifle. When I put my SN, which is G087XXX in Savage's parts finder, it told me the model and caliber but date manufactured was blank

The donor gun has stock that's really unusable. Though the previous owner says it shoots OK, it was apparently out in an all day rain and put away wet. Water in the barrel channel caused several cracks on the bottom of the stock by the action. The previous owner then took to hacking and filing away at the inside of the barrel channel. Not sure why, but let's just say we're free floated with room to spare.

Either way, I was planning on replacing the stock because I am trying to do a lighter weight build. The barrel I have coming is a featherweight contour.

Even in RH, I don't know that there is a low cost alternative for a stock. I'd like to get light and synthetic. I've seen some RH to LH conversion threads which frankly seems like what I might try. I can probably pick up a Savage tupperware stock for a very good price, file out a notch for a LH bolt handle and blast away. Fill in the right side if I want. I don't know that short of buying a custom stock with a narrow barrel channel I could get something to fit the featherweight contour.

Anyone have any better ideas? Suggestions on a stock? I really figure this is my first build and I need to get one under my belt before spending big $$$. I still need all the barrel swapping tools, no go gauge, etc so I am not looking for a $500 stock. I see some tupperware going on ebay for like $30. Even if I mess it up, I wouldn't be out much I figure.

Basic Member
    If it will be a hunting rifle, you've answered your own question. Or, you can spend the big bucks!

JMHO ... Jim :-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    If it will be a hunting rifle, you've answered your own question. Or, you can spend the big bucks!

JMHO ... Jim :-)
    Well it will be a hunting rifle and I sort of figured I was on the right track, but I figured I'd ask because I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I was missing something somewhere.

Now I gotta find an appropriate stock to start filing!

Basic Member
    Yep, your off to a good start! And where are my manners ... "WELCOME ABOARD" ! :-)....but beware. This stuff can take one to "excessive/compulsive" behavior!

Good Luck and Good Shooting ... Jim

Basic Member
    Thanks Jim, and I think the warning may have come too late!