Thread: 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP coversion to Varmint (target)

Basic Member

11/111 Trophy Hunter XP coversion to Varmint (target)

I bought this rifle in June (upgrade from air rifles) and found out after 6 months and approximately 800 rounds I am a accuracy and precision junky- I expect all my shots touching at 100 yards within 1/8th of an inch from the bullseye, but reality is also hovering right above me so here are my questions for my next upgrade of a short and longer term goal.

• I have found the rifle would be great for hunting on cold bore shot out to approximately 500 yards.
    • The barrel heats up every time anywhere from 15-20 shots before it stabilizes (measured action using IR therm.)
    • Muzzle Velocity- Standard Deviation shifts depending on the day anywhere from 10-20 STDEV. MV will vary from 2,780 to 2,842 on 60-62 degree day.
    • I have about 1k of brass that I reload in .223 and would like to continue using this abundantly available brass and round.
    • To date the only modification I have made is adding JB Weld to the action lug area (Gunwerks youtube video how to) and will be testing this weekend.

So here is what I would like to do:
    Purchase a a Varmint/Target barrel to have more fun at the range hitting targets anywhere from 100-600 yards. I am using a 69 gn Nosler Competition round so I can hear the gong on the silhouette or see the movement of the hanging ones and know I hit it. I also work on the paper targets at 50, 100 and 200 yards.
    • Any suggestions on a barrel not too expensive that is better than the OEM's?
    • Any great benefit by changing caliber?
    • Will the thick barrel help with the MV variations and reduce my STDEV?
    • If I add a Varmint/ Target barrel I will need to change stocks to fit the thick barrel. Any recommendation on a stock in the $200-$250 range?
    • Any rules apply to these changes if I attempt F class shooting to 600 yards?

Longer-term plan
    Saving up to purchase one of these contenders:
    • M1 Garand National
    • Savage Action build in 308 or Savage 12 F/T
    • Remington 700 build

Loads
    69 grain Nosler Competion
    Lapua .223 Match brass 1.75 trimmed and chamfered
    XBR8208 23 grain or Hodgdons Benchmark 23 grain
    CCI BR-4 and 400 primers.

Basic Member
    Well, my original post was probably to extensive so I will break it down to asking a more basic question. I will start with the stock.

Savage 11 / Short Action .223 / Detachable Bottom Magazine / bottom bolt release in front of the accutrigger / bottom screw spacing 4" 3/8" approximately 4.4 in.

Looking at the following stock manufacturers, but not sure which stocks fit. Needs to fit a bull barrelLooking for F/TR stock to choose from:

Which style would I need if I decided to go with Microfit stocks?
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/target_style's.htm

Do any of the E. Arthur Brown stocks fit?
    http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Rifle-Stocks_c_2752.html

Does this Boyds stock fit?
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...on=4D&Shape=1G

Basic Member
    My first recommendation is to change the DBM from the Trophy Hunter/Axis Style DBM to the traditional style DBM for 10/110 series. With it, you will have more positive, reliable feeding and loading of the mag. ALso, it would work in the Richard's Microfit stocks and the Boyds Stock you highlighted. If you don't choose to go that route, you need to call Savage Customer service and tell them you have a TH and want a wooden stock. They will know the part you need to make the Axis Style DBM you already have work in the Boyd's Stock. IT's about $15. There may be another $2 part (lug/post?) that goes along with it, I am not sure.

The barrel channel in the Boyd's stock you highlighted would have to be opened up to accept the larger contour of a varmint barrel. It is not difficult to do, but it requires some elbow grease with sandpaper and a wood dowel or deep socket socket. I don't know for certain, but I don't think there is enough stock material there for a full bull barrel.

That's all I got. :)

Basic Member
    Thanks foxx. This gets me in the right direction. I definitely like reliable. Does "Traditional DBM= Hinged Bottom floor plate?"

So far I found this AICS DBM, but outside of what I would want to spend on this particular rifle (budget build):
    Savage 10/12 110/112 Detachable Tactical Magazine System for Accuracy International & Accurate-Mag Magazines - CDI Precision Gunworks
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-747/CDI/Detail

Basic Member
    No, I am referring to two different styles of Savage factory DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINES. The DBM systems you mentioned are aftermarket products and are of excellent quality, but not OEM. I could try to describe them, but there are better resources with pictures, etc that are readily avail in FAQ's. Really, the best and fastest way to learn abut Savage rifles is to become a paid member so as to have access to various technical articles devoted to the various models of the present and past. The membership fees are $15/year and include access to the member classifieds.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the insight. I will be contacting Savage for the wood 10/110 magazine stock assembly. At this time I don't think I am ready to spend on the membership since this is the only upgrades I will be making at this time. I decided to on my long-term goal to be Savage 12 F/TR in .308.

Next I will contact Microfit and Boyds and let their customer service decide which one I get; whoever is more hepful.
    Last edited by ivanpros; 01-18-2015 at 07:31 PM.