Thread: Coyote while deer hunting

Corey Schwanz

Coyote while deer hunting

This was from about a week or two ago but I'm just getting around to getting the pictures online. Had this guy sneak by me while deer hunting and I couldn't get a shot before he was up through the woods. About 45min later, he came back down the same trail and I saw him coming. Gave him a yip to stop him and the MLII laid the hammer to him. I've been seeing a lot of coyotes this season but this was the first time I could get a crack at one of them. Going to have to get out this winter with a call to see if I can take a few more off our place.

Nice job, that is one less deer killing eating machine. -:)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Basic Member
    Nice. Theres been nights where ive heard around 15 yotes but only was able to see the eyes of them through the thicket. Since they didnt present me a positive identity i didnt shoot. Ive shot several deer, hogs and bobcats but cant get any yotes. Theres also a "panther" as they call it down here that im waiting to shoot. Ive only caught it 5 times on the game cams and several personal sightings when i didnt have anything.

Very Nice Yote. Both places I hunt N Florida and Western Kentucky have more Coyotes on them this season then I have ever seen before. We have been knocking them down when we can but not an easy critter to get rid of.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Very Nice Yote. Both places I hunt N Florida and Western Kentucky have more Coyotes on them this season then I have ever seen before. We have been knocking them down when we can but not an easy critter to get rid of.
    I leave meat bait out and they only ever grab it after i fall asleep or leave. Give me some tips! Im very successful at hunting everything else just never had the need nor want to hunt yotes until now.
    Last edited by shooterfpga; 01-07-2015 at 12:52 AM.

I havn't had much luck with baiting them. I was playing around with my turkey call when this one
    came across my brother making a beeline for me. I hear a feather and turkey decoys aren't a bad option, but I am just getting into actually hunting yotes.
    This guy was the reason I was messing with my turkey call. He got bored and so I was showing him how to softely purr with it when a tom answered me so we got playing with that tom.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I've seen coyotes twice while deer hunting, two years ago had one blow by my stand in afterburner trying to catch a small doe, doe won the race! This year saw a dark smudge about 350 yards out, put longeyes on him, was a coyote laying down. He got up and started my way got ready for him and he turned and headed at a right angle to me, no shot, I was using my iron sighted 45-70 single shot. Maybe I should start hunting with a .243 Win. Take care, John.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    You will never 'get rid of em'. Hunt, trap, shoot exterminate for 5+ yrs and they will rebound n 2 yrs righty back to where you started with em.
    When food is good, liters will be 6++, other years 2-3..