Thread: Seating Depth

OKMike

Seating Depth

Just started reloading for rifles and have a question about seating depth and pressure/ safety.

I am loading the 208 AMAX in 300 win mag seated out to just off the lands, does this increase pressure or can I utilize the extra case capacity to squeeze in a little more powder?

thanks

Mike

dcloco

Re: Seating Depth

Increases pressure.

Bullet is started into the lands before enough pressure is built up to expand the case to let go of the bullet.

My win mag likes 0.020" off the lands.

If you need more powder, change powders. Mine likes H4831, H4831SC, Retumbo, or H1000. What are you using?

Uncle Jack

More powder?????
    What velocities are you getting now?
    What are you trying to achive?

uj

OKMike

H1000, just loaded the last of it, may try something different next go round, not getting the groups I think I should

OKMike

I stopped loading well short of max charge listed in load books because I was unsure of pressure issues. My gun seemed to like 73.5 grains of H1000 the best.

dcloco

Load for accuracy. Build a drop chart, shoot the drops to confirm, and make the chart for the side of your rifle.

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Load for accuracy. Build a drop chart, shoot the drops to confirm, and make the chart for the side of your rifle.
    Yup 'n yup 'n yup!!

What makes you think putting more powder in the case.....especially above the maximum on a newer\modern cartridge like the Win Mag (as compared to the 6.5 Swede or the 45-70) would somehow make it "more better"?

Seating the bullet closer to the lands in-and-of-itself will increase the initial pressure. Adding more powder to the equation increases it even more. With that kind of thinking you are mixing a recipe for disaster!

I would rather have the bullet travel 200fps slower and drop 10" more at 400 yards but shoot MOA, than have it shoot the additional 200fps and rely on sheer luck to hit the target at that range.

MHO

Dave

Basic Member

Until someone loads a bullet that exceeds the speed of light, and thus upsets the space/time continuum, resulting in the end of the world, reloaders will always try too much powder.

Listen to the guys above.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Uncle Jack

".....Seating the bullet closer to the lands in-and-of-itself will increase the initial pressure. Adding more powder to the equation increases it even more."

Which is why Weatherby rifles are chambered with about .500" "Freebore" to allow the bullet to get a running start at the lands before the pressure spikes.

uj