Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When and how to best clean my Savage model 12?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Those are some good suggestions!

Yes, the gun was new in box. I asked about breaking it in, but the small locally owned dealer who sold it to me said "just go shoot it". After about 200 rounds and several "cursory" cleanings with Hopps #9 Solvent , accuracy went out the window and I began checking everything, including if I was cleaning it properly. Thus began my "education" about how to clean and then the confusion.

I really like the idea of foaming bore cleaner as I tend towards letting the chemicals do the hard work. I'll try it tomorrow.
    Hoppe's #9 will clean powder fouling but won't touch copper at all. Their Copper Plus isn't any better.. Best solvent to remove copper is KG12.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Texas-

If it works for you, go with it. Personally, I would do it that way. My only suggestions on your method are to get an adjustable torque wrench and use a nylon instead of a bronze brush. There is no need to take off the stock each and every time. Use a front and rear rest, gun cleaning station, hillbilly gun station, or sandbags or whatever is handy. You will lose zero every time that stock comes off and goes back on, especially without an adjustable torque wrench.
    +1. leave the stock alone!

Basic Member
    Barrel-nut-

"...I agree with all of this, except, why would you clean after every five to ten shots? Especially in 15 degree weather lol. I say this not disparagingly, as I used to think like this too, because that's what I had read that you should do...."

I do it because that is what I was told to do. Since it is a balmy 19 as I write and am ready to go to the range with an absolutely clean bore (to me), I will shoot until I see group deterioration.

Basic Member
    If you have to clean every 5 to 10 shots something is wrong with your rifle. Send it back.

Basic Member
    Last night, I used Shooter's Choice bore cleaner, Bore-Tec carbon remover, Shooter's choice lead remover and THEN PatchOut with Accelerator. You know what? This morning, a tight patch came out clean.

You know what else? Now you are going to shoot fouling shots to put a lot of it back so the rifle shoots better.

Basic Member
    Most likely and certainly this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12