Thread: After-Action Report: Criterion Barrels, Inc.

Das Capitolin

Thumbs Up After-Action Report: Criterion Barrels, Inc.

This is my after-action report for a recent experience with Criterion Barrels, Inc.
    The short version of this report is: Exemplary customer service second to none, from a company that fully stands behind its product at all costs.

Here's the longer version of this report:
    I ordered a Criterion match barrel from Jim and Northland Shooters Supply. The barrel arrived only a few days later, and I was testing loads that the same week. I followed a delicate break-in procedure, and the barrel shot same-hole groups at 100 yards and 1" groups at 330 yards. After a match approximately 400 rounds in, there was a thick layer of copper fouling visible down the muzzle. While troubleshooting this problem here in the forums, a Criterion rep named Josh reached out and offered to have the new barrel lapped again.

The barrel was sent back using a shipping label CBI provided, and when it arrived at their facility Criterion sent me an email detailing the work order. Around this same time I discovered the fouling was the result of bad advice in the form of three inches of Devcon under-barrel bedding. In spite of this, Criterion held true to their word and refinished my barrel. Days later I received another call from Criterion rep named Stephanie explaining the barrel was on its way back to me. An email followed soon after containing tracking information.

Once the refinished barrel arrived, I gave it a thorough inspection. Criterion re-lapped and re-crowned the barrel, but there was a small patch of tiny scratches on the lands visible from the muzzle. I contacted Criterion by email and attached photos illustrating my findings. Within minutes a call came with apologies, and an email with a return shipping label. Criterion reps remembered that I was planning to have a muzzle brake put on, and offered to do it for me if included with the return barrel. Josh painstakingly collected the details for a new barrel order, and explained the process. Within days, a completely unexpected personal apology letter and embroidered cap arrived from Criterion Barrels.
    I sent the parts to CBI in late November, less than four weeks later I've got a brand new barrel with fitted and timed muzzle brake in my hands. Everything fit together and aligned perfectly, and I'm excited for the 2015 competitive season!

The customer service demonstrated by Josh at Criterion Barrels has been absolutely second to NONE. I have never in my whole entire life experienced customer service to this level of professionalism and courtesy; most especially not from anybody relating to the firearms industry. Lupold Optics is the only other industry-related company to go above and beyond, and even they don't come close. I'm already deciding what barrel to have them build next, because they've earned a life-long customer.

Thank you, Criterion Barrel. I hope that other companies learn from your example and strive to follow in your footsteps.

Basic Member
    Class. Real, first class.

That goes for Das Capitolin as well as CBI.

LongRange
    i can personally say that between his scope and barrel Das Capitolin had a bad season last year and im glad to see things coming together for him now...CBI is a fantastic company that goes above and beyond what most do!!

Basic Member
    Nice detailed AAR. Good on cbi for making things right and above standard service. My question is how does bedding attribute to fouling? I do agree that the bedding in that area is unwarranted but i dont follow how it lead to fouling?

I had similar dealings with criterion. Top notch service for sure.

This is great to hear. I am tired of all the other companies these days with terrible customer service. The next pre-fit I need will be from CBI. Thanks for sharing

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    Nice detailed AAR. Good on cbi for making things right and above standard service. My question is how does bedding attribute to fouling? I do agree that the bedding in that area is unwarranted but i dont follow how it lead to fouling?
    as the barrel heats up with repeat firing it causes the barrel to rise as it expands thus tweaking the barrel and action at that junction so you get a V shape so to speak not a straight line from chamber to bore/lands...i know it sounds funny but it happens especially when using devcon as your bedding...its basically steel that i would imagine expands a little with heat as well just like steel which would make the problem worse...this is why most ppl say dont bed past the lug with a target riffle.

Das Capitolin
    Pretty much what LongRange said above...

The Devcon liquid steel created a 3-4" bedding mold around the under-barrel right after the recoil lug, and acted as a heatsink to retain heat while the rest of the barrel cooled. This caused shots to begin stringing higher and higher, since the lower portion of the barrel was still heat expanded and the cooler upper portion contracted. The added heat right at the max pressure (Pmax) zone caused additional copper shedding, and increased bullet friction. In other words, don't ever bed the under-barrel of any rifle that will shoot at a pace fast enough to get hot. Hunting rifles typically shoot single-digit rounds, which is why you might occasionally see it used there. Bed the receiver, not the barrel on competition rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    as the barrel heats up with repeat firing it causes the barrel to rise as it expands thus tweaking the barrel and action at that junction so you get a V shape so to speak not a straight line from chamber to bore/lands...i know it sounds funny but it happens especially when using devcon as your bedding...its basically steel that i would imagine expands a little with heat as well just like steel which would make the problem worse...this is why most ppl say dont bed past the lug with a target riffle.

the barrel can expand/move in any direction, not necessarily always up.
    Could the POI moving up be attributed to increased speed of the bullet?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Das Capitolin
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    the barrel can expand/move in any direction, not necessarily always up.
    Could the POI moving up be attributed to increased speed of the bullet?
    I would agree with you, except for when there's Devcon steel surrounding the first 3-4" of barrel underside. It was molded around the entire lower half of the barrel, so there was nowhere to go but up. According to the chronograph (and drop rate), there was no increase in velocity.

Once the under-barrel bedding was removed, the vertical stringing went away and fouling reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post
    I would agree with you, except for when there's Devcon steel surrounding the first 3-4" of barrel underside. It was molded around the entire lower half of the barrel, so there was nowhere to go but up. According to the chronograph (and drop rate), there was no increase in velocity.

Once the under-barrel bedding was removed, the vertical stringing went away and fouling reduced.
    ok that makes sense, good you confirmed velocity with chrono.
    newbie from gr, mi.

In this day and age, it'as nice to hear that a company stands behind their product and knows what customer service means.