Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School me on Annealing Brass....

I went low buck and low tech. I do a salt bath anneal with potassium nitrate.

Only cost $50 and 10 minutes to build. It's very consistent and I can anneal as fast as most automatics.

I copied this guy's.

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Bat...demo2.mp4.html
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    School me, geargrinder. What the heck is that thing? Looks too good to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    School me, geargrinder. What the heck is that thing? Looks too good to be true!
    Cheap Lee lead melter pot and high temp thermometer from Ebay $35. Potassium Nitrate (stump remover) $15 from Amazon.

I built an adjustable setup similar to the video. Mine is adjustable depending on the depth I want the neck to go into the salt.

The salt melts at about 635 degrees. I'll get it up to around 700 and start putting in cases. I drop them into a bucket of water to cool them down and remove any little bit of salt that sticks.

I need top off the pot with salt after 40-50 or so. Just takes a couple minutes to melt and get the pot back up to temp and I'm off again.

It works great and is super fast. And cheeeeep!
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I went low buck and low tech. I do a salt bath anneal with potassium nitrate.

Only cost $50 and 10 minutes to build. It's very consistent and I can anneal as fast as most automatics.

I copied this guy's.

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Bat...demo2.mp4.html
    I leik it!! I 've seen guys using lead/lead pot the same way but not potassium nitrate.

Details Lad, details!!!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Not much more details I can give. It's really that simple. I just time my putting-in and taking-out so that the brass is for about 3 seconds. It's easy once you get in a rhythm.

Let me know any other details I can give.

Basic Member
    why would anyone do anything different?!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    why would anyone do anything different?!
    For myself, I just like to play with stuff and fix things that ain't busted. Its what old grumpy retired guys do! GG's setup isn't necessarily a better mouse trap, just a another way to deal with the little buggers!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

That's one of my favorite sayings. " If it aint broke, fix it till it is...".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    That's one of my favorite sayings. " If it aint broke, fix it till it is...".
    Yeah, kinda like my son when he was 6. One day while walking along hunting he spied a few deer "pellets" and asked what they were. I told him they're smart pills. "Will they make me smart Dad"?

You bet they will, chew on a few of them and you'll be smart enough not to do it again!

Bill

Basic Member
    deer pellets or chocolate covered peanuts?

Same story... we were on a camping trip with another family and my buddy ( I think we were 6) asked his dad what those things were... He said, "Chocolate covered peanuts." About an hour later, while sitting around the camp fire, the kid said to his dad. "Dad, those didn't TASTE like chocolate covered peanuts!" LOL

Basic Member
    We dropped a few moose terds on a plate with salad ingredients on a quebec fishing trip many years back.
    They look almost identicle to the large black olives used for the same purpose. My father in law was a bit of a
    glutton and he had 2 of those things in his mouth so fast i didnt even see him do it. After wallowing them around
    in there for a spell it finally dawned on him that he had moved on that too fast. He spent the next 15 minits gagging
    and coufhing while washing his teeth and mouth in the lake. I laughed so hard i couldnt breath. Needless to say he was quite
    perturbed over the whole thing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    I've been doing about 6-7 seconds just at the tip of the smaller blue flame while spinning slowly. I need to get some tempilac to test my method, but does anybody have a one one thousand two one thousand count that they use?
    Never more than about 3.5 or 4.0 seconds for me. Do it in a darkened room so you can watch the brass. If its glowing red or orange its too much heat

Basic Member
    Geargrinder, how much salt sticks to the cases? Does it stink or emit any fumes while you are using it? Does the salt melt or stay granular?

Just a small amount maybe a quarter to half a drip...is that a unit of measure????

Yes it smells but not overpowering or objectionable. You wouldn't be able to smell it if you weren't standing next to it.

The salt becomes molten.

Full disclosure, When melting for the first time, the salt will foam and make a mess if you start with too much. Just hang in there and add slow as the salt melts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12