Thread: C/F Long Action Round OAL

C/F Long Action Round OAL

I just picked up a 110 action. Center Feed, Long action, Accutrigger. I just called a gunsmith to see what he would charge to re-chamber a .338 win mag barrel to a .338 RUM barrel. He said, "I won't do it because the round won't feed right". He will no longer get any of my business. A .338 RUM is actually shorter than a .300 RUM. The .300 RUM feeds just fine. I have also built a .338 Lapua on a small-shank action eliminating the barrel nut.

My question is, can I build a .338 Edge repeater off this action, if not, can I build a .338 RUM repeater?

Any questions/comments welcome!

Thanks!!!
    One Shot - One Kill. Semper Fi.

Basic Member
    The old stagger feed RUM magazines were .220" longer than a standard long action mag, staggered or center feed...if that tells you anything.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

You can make it easily work as a single shot, but as a repeater you will have to take your OAL into account and either load accordingly (if possible) and/or do some modifications to your magazine to even have a chance at making it work as a repeater.

Sharpshooter is right (as usual ), the factory mags for the RUM chamberings were .220" longer to handle the longer rounds, and the front baffle was relieved a bit to allow for a longer bolt travel (IIRC) and the mag opening in the action was different also.

Something else to consider, if the barrel you are wanting to rechamber is a sporter contour, then it may not be safe to do it as a RUM because the amount of metal between the front of the chamber and the outside of the barrel may get too thin and possibly rupture. This is why Savage made the RUM chambered rifles on the Large Shank actions. I personally have no problems with and even recommend people shooting RUM's on a small shank action, but only with barrels contoured in a lite varmint or heavier or a custom contour where the taper doesn't start until its further away from the barrel nut. This allows more material around the chamber.

My question to you is this: What is your intended purpose for the rifle?

The 338 WM is no slouch and can handle quite a bit.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    You can make it easily work as a single shot, but as a repeater you will have to take your OAL into account and either load accordingly (if possible) and/or do some modifications to your magazine to even have a chance at making it work as a repeater.

Sharpshooter is right (as usual ), the factory mags for the RUM chamberings were .220" longer to handle the longer rounds, and the front baffle was relieved a bit to allow for a longer bolt travel (IIRC) and the mag opening in the action was different also.

Something else to consider, if the barrel you are wanting to rechamber is a sporter contour, then it may not be safe to do it as a RUM because the amount of metal between the front of the chamber and the outside of the barrel may get too thin and possibly rupture. This is why Savage made the RUM chambered rifles on the Large Shank actions. I personally have no problems with and even recommend people shooting RUM's on a small shank action, but only with barrels contoured in a lite varmint or heavier or a custom contour where the taper doesn't start until its further away from the barrel nut. This allows more material around the chamber.

My question to you is this: What is your intended purpose for the rifle?

The 338 WM is no slouch and can handle quite a bit.
    Intentions for the rifle are mostly for shooting exploding targets at 1000 yards. Also, to shoot (at) coyotes across the valley on the other hillside. (roughly 900-1100 yds). I might do some hunting with it, but I mainly use my 300 WM for that. I just picked up a custom 30 inch barrel in .338 Edge. So, I guess it's going to be a single shot. Thanks for the discussion guys!

Basic Member
    One Shoot-One Kill :-))

All my stuff is set up single shoot. I like it that way :-))

Same here. I usually only need one shot. That was my old nickname my buddy from school always called me, he said every time he heard one shot in the woods he knew it was me.LOL
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Same here. I usually only need one shot. That was my old nickname my buddy from school always called me, he said every time he heard one shot in the woods he knew it was me.LOL
    Haha!! My brother and I were hunting together this year... I was 200 yds from his gut pile from the day before. We had our radios on, and after he heard me shoot, he radios in "Wha'd you kill?" my response "Dropped a coyote running through the woods at 150 yds" His reply: "Good!" 1 1/2 hours later, he heard me shoot again, radio crackles "Did you shoot another dog?" me: "Nope, got a buck. We're done!"

This rifle season was pretty good. I used my .308 instead of the .300 WM...just cause I hadn't killed anything with it yet. I put 4 bullets in my magazine the opening day of rifle. By the end of the season, I had used 3 of those 4 bullets and had 3 for 3 with 2 deer and a coyote...

Intentions for the rifle are mostly for shooting exploding targets at 1000 yards. Also, to shoot (at) coyotes across the valley on the other hillside. (roughly 900-1100 yds).
    You really don't need a 338 "Pachyderm Express" to do all that. A 7mm magnum as well as several other calibers will do it all with ease. But hey if shooting 90+ grains of powder over very expensive bullets does it for you who am I to say?
    Last edited by wbm; 01-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    You really don't need a 338 "Pachyderm Express" to do all that. A 7mm magnum as well as several other calibers will do it all with ease. But hey if shooting 90+ grains of powder over very expensive bullets does it for you who am I to say?
    I could do that just fine with a 300 win mag. Even my .243 loaded just right... plus, I probly don't NEED another gun. This build isn't really about need though...it's more about want. I started going in one direction, ended up going in another with this build because I have all the guns I need for all practical uses...So, this is more about a toy project now.

It is now just a matter of either running the 338 Edge in single shot or modifying the receiver to accept the longer round... Probly going to stick with option A.

Still needs the bolt handle I have ordered for it and headspaced...but, there it is.
    X-Caliber 31" Match Barrel with brake from Apache Gunworks in 338 Edge.
    110 BA Stock w/5-round mag. 3.850 OAL Defensive Edge puts the 300 Grain SMK @ 3.795...
    Redfield Battlezone 6-18 Scope.
    Everything is brand new...even the action.