Thread: Anyone try this marriage?

dpappen

Anyone try this marriage?

Bought my Savage 110L back in 1966, so she's an old gal complete with barrel bulge for a rear sight. I would like to turn a new Shaw barrel in same caliber, 7mm Rem mag. After reading a few threads it sounds like a barrel swap on an old rifle like this may pose problems.
    Have any of you Savage aficionados/experts tried this? Can I make this marriage work?
    Thanks!!!
    Dave

seanhagerty
    I bet it works fine. If you need help, let us know where you are, maybe we can offer a tech assist.

You can do it, it just requires a little more work with your barrel maker, and most likely they will need the action to finish chamber it due to the old style bolt head design.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I'm working on one currently and hoping to get it finished up this weekend. I'm using a Shilen #4 blank and chambering in 6.5-06 Ackley improved.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    You can do it, it just requires a little more work with your barrel maker, and most likely they will need the action to finish chamber it due to the old style bolt head design.
    im trying to learn all I can...what is different about older style bolt heads? I have an older 110 (preaccutrigger) not sure how old it is though and I screwed my criterion barrel on and away I went. I have about 80 shots through it with out issue. Should I be worried?

The older bolt heads have a controlled round feed that sits on top of essentially the same bolt style used today but this requires a relief cut into the chamber like a Remington for proper fitment. Here is a photo I found on Google.

Basic Member
    I have a 110L and it was rebarreled before I bought it. The early models do need a little extra machining to work, so do not be expecting to buy a third party barrel and set it up yourself unless you are a machinist.

dpappen
    My plan was to ship her off to E. Arthur Brown and have them re-barrel the action with a Shaw barrel. Looks like I need to give them a big heads up beforehand.
    That being said, does anyone have experience with a gunsmith performing this swap?
    Again, thanks.
    Dave

Basic Member
    The newer style barrels will work in the old actions if you purchase a newer style bolt (roughly $120) and convert it to a single shot....Or the bolt itself can be converted with a new bolt body (approx. $30) and bolt head (approx. $30)....some firing pin modification or bolt head modification (drill out for large dia pin) may also be required....The triggers on these old actions are fairly adjustable and may even suit your needs...After market triggers will also work but you will also need the safety parts from a newer style.
    Some food for thought if a single shot will suffice for you.
    randy