Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Twinsen

Got mine under 1 MOA. Added 5 hundredths to OAL maximum (because OAL is inconsistent with BTHP so I go by max of several rounds) and went to within a grain of max charge. 0.87" The new load is more accurate in my other rifle as well.

The bad news is I dumped another 8 pounds of powder. I thought 1500 SMKs was enough to shoot for a while. But nooo-ooo.

Basic Member
    What do you mean you "dumped" another 8 lbs of pounder? You didn't spill it, did you? Or you shot it THAT much?
    Last edited by foxx; 03-04-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Twinsen
    ROFL No, I didn't spill any.

Jdm160

SUB MOA on my 10FCP-SR on factory reloads.

I was able to get some sub-MOA groups with my new 10FCP-SR on factory reloaded ammo. I can't believe how different ammo shoots! But I've found some that my gun really likes at least.

Check it out in the range forum: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...0FCP-SR-in-308

Psw757
    I've been trying to track down last years model with the camo stock, anyone see any of these out there? New or used. I know I can get a 10 PC in the camo but I am wanting the fluted barrel and DBM and not the savage 4 rounder the pc comes with.

thanks

brianlpowers

Thumbs Up Buyer Beware

I was actually looking into buying this new version of the 10 FCP-SR. After reading reviews of the previous generation of this rifle, I was very interested in this newer and supposedly improved version.
    After reading your post, I sucked it up and went for the 10 FCP McMillan - I'm glad that your misfortune with this rifle was able to steer me away from it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianlpowers View Post
    I was actually looking into buying this new version of the 10 FCP-SR. After reading reviews of the previous generation of this rifle, I was very interested in this newer and supposedly improved version.
    After reading your post, I sucked it up and went for the 10 FCP McMillan - I'm glad that your misfortune with this rifle was able to steer me away from it.

I am curious, why glad? if you get the right version of the rifle (the non Cabelas bargain basement model) it is a fine shooter. at $625, even if you want Accuracy International bottom metal and mags, it is still quite cheaper than the 10 FCP McMillian (which i am sure is a fine rifle)

psode27
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    I am curious, why glad? if you get the right version of the rifle (the non Cabelas bargain basement model) it is a fine shooter. at $625, even if you want Accuracy International bottom metal and mags, it is still quite cheaper than the 10 FCP McMillian (which i am sure is a fine rifle)
    That was my feeling. Its cheap and sounds like it shoots well. IF the need arises (it will Haha) to upgrade to aics rbm its still not terribly expensive. Honestly I think if I look for improvements later on, the chassis option that already in operates the AICS mags probably makes more sense. While I'm not thrilled about the savage mags, they will probably work well enough in the mean time.
    That being said, I don't think you can go wrong either way by the sounds of it! The McMillans look awesome, enjoy your rifle!

cs87

considering a 10fcp-sr

Hi all, new to the forum and to savages/bolt guns in general. I've been doing some research on these and have seen the good and bad from this 2015 model from everyone's reviews and experiences. I am currently on a waiting list at Cabelas for the cheaper non-accustock model at the sale price, if I end up going through with this I plan on getting a new stock for it and probably the upgraded bottom metal/mag; this will be mainly a target/range rifle with possible hunting in its future. My question to everyone with some more experience is: would these upgrades fit right on with no/minimal problems and make this rifle more reliable with minimal work? Or should I just try to find one with the accustock as its only $100 more and leave it as is or would I still want to do the bottom metal upgrade? I've figured the price on either route would be about the same in the end depending on what stock I decide on and with adding the bottom metal to both. sorry for all the questions just trying to get my facts in order before making a purchase I may regret later though it seems people with the accustock model are pretty happy, so is it just the stock thats the problem or worse parts in general? Thanks in advance for the help.

dude just get the accustock model … the only thing I've done is changed the bottom metal and I've had no issues . Find what ammo your rifle likes and you'll be fine . like I've stated mine loves Portuguese 147 grain .

I have mine, and I finally took it out and shot it last week.

I'm generally happy with it. FGMM groups at under an inch at 100yds. With the rebate, it'll have cost me less than $520 shipped, plus FFL fees and taxes (Welcome to the People's Republic of California).

Like everybody says, the magazine is a POS. It was about 50% feeding... I finally gave up and used it as a single shot. I've just bought an OEM Savage 4-round mag (fits perfectly), and I'm hoping for better results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I have mine, and I finally took it out and shot it last week.

I'm generally happy with it. FGMM groups at under an inch at 100yds. With the rebate, it'll have cost me less than $520 shipped, plus FFL fees and taxes (Welcome to the People's Republic of California).

Like everybody says, the magazine is a POS. It was about 50% feeding... I finally gave up and used it as a single shot. I've just bought an OEM Savage 4-round mag (fits perfectly), and I'm hoping for better results.
    my stock 10 rd mag seems to be feeding better with useage on it. also, getting it seated properly is a little tricky but makes a big difference how it feeds. for my purposes, slow fire from the bench, it will do, for now. eventually, i would rather put the $200 for a bottom metal and mag upgrade towards a chassis, maybe.
    Last edited by swadiver; 03-13-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    ... i would rather put the $200 for a bottom metal and mag upgrade towards a chassis, maybe.
    I'm going to wait and see if/when MagPul makes bottom metal (bottom polymer?) for Savages. Their bottom metal (polymer!) for their R700 stock can be used without their stock...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raygun View Post
    dude just get the accustock model … the only thing I've done is changed the bottom metal and I've had no issues . Find what ammo your rifle likes and you'll be fine . like I've stated mine loves Portuguese 147 grain .

getting into the savage line, what do you mean when you say "changed the bottom metal"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I'm going to wait and see if/when MagPul makes bottom metal (bottom polymer?) for Savages. Their bottom metal (polymer!) for their R700 stock can be used without their stock...
    Source of the Magpul DBM not requiring their Hunter stock? First I've heard of that...

What inlet would it use?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raygun View Post
    hey guys the accurate mag comes with the replacement screws . i had to trim mine down , they were too long , easy install and now i can comfortably load 10 rounds . i have the 22441 model .
    i have the 22441 as well. can you tell me what exact parts you ordered and installed and what exact magazines you are using/referring too?

BigDave
    Sorry. I refused to buy this cheapened version of the original 10 FCP-SR. It took me a while, but I finally found a 2013 model online NIB for $800. I just got it. I looked it over with a magnifying glass. She's is "as advertised." No signs of having a single round fired after it was tested and shipped from the factory.

It has a gorgeous Accurate Mag 10 round magazine and an AM bottom metal. The threads on the barrel muzzle are precision machined. I will post my unboxing review/impressions in this sub forum. Look for it.

TheBest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Sorry. I refused to buy this cheapened version of the original 10 FCP-SR. It took me a while, but I finally found a 2013 model online NIB for $800. I just got it. I looked it over with a magnifying glass. She's is "as advertised." No signs of having a single round fired after it was tested and shipped from the factory.

It has a gorgeous Accurate Mag 10 round magazine and an AM bottom metal. The threads on the barrel muzzle are precision machined. I will post my unboxing review/impressions in this sub forum. Look for it.
    Watch out for this defect! http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ge-Vs-P-A-Help!!!

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
    Ah! Thank you. Quite an interesting and informative thread. I did not know about this! And I have the same H series (2012/2013) the thread starter has. I have heard several issues about poor threads on the 2015 version too. Defects are not endemic to any one model. Its the chance we take for buying production rifles vs a high dollar hand made version. One good thing is that my threads seem exceptionally well cut. The thread protector lines up 100% perfectly with the barrel. I dont think I need a gunsmith just yet. I will CAREFULLY check the alignment with the GRIZZLY muzzle break I intend to buy for my rifle. Fingers crossed.I will make good use of your warning. Thanks again.

Guys, please read my unboxing and initial impressions of my 2012/2013 never fired 10 FCP-SR in the 110 section (this sub forum/section)
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-NIB-10-FCP-SR

Basic Member

what makes the 2015 a cheapened version? assuming you mean the 2015 model 10 fcp-sr.

Basic Member
    my 2015 FCP-SR has been excellent. the threads on the barrel were aligned and tight. my Midwest Industries muzzle brake went on perfectly. the factory mag is loading ok. i had originally removed the action to adjust the accutrigger and i don't think i re seated the action properly in the stock. i re did this, and the mag is feeding better. the bottom metal/mag issue is not a big deal for me. how it shoots is. i am a new bolt action shooter and am getting sub moa groups right from the git go. had it at 200 yards for the first time yesterday with less than ideal bench conditions and got some sub moa groups there with Aussie 168 gr SMK and the Federal GoldMatch 168 gr SMK ammo. this is the first time ever that i have shot anything beyond 100 yards, so i am happy with the results.

great budget rifle, imho
    Last edited by swadiver; 03-17-2015 at 07:39 AM.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by miscverb View Post
    what makes the 2015 a cheapened version? assuming you mean the 2015 model 10 fcp-sr.
    A lot of your question is addressed in the previous 15 pages of this thread. Some guys are perfectly happy and leave everything the way it comes. Many are upset, and down right angry thinking they were getting a bottom metal that took a Metal AICS type single stack magazine.

Some owners immediately buy a bottom metal for 200+usd like Accurate Mag, Surgeon, and various others that all take the single stack Metal AICS magazine which is a standard of excellence. You can source these mags almost in a LOT of places. Some guys just buy a specialty after market custom double stack magazine made by Dark Eagle which I hear fits the new 2015 FCP-SR and the current FCP-K.

I want the AICS type mags and bottom metal. Rather than fuss with modifying a brand new 2015 model and not knowing exactly the fit and function of the mod, I found a never fired 2013 model for 800usd. It would have cost me close to 900usd to modify a 2015 to the same as what I bought for 800. Plus I did nt have to order, and install all the extra items (20moa rail, new magazine, new bottom metal)

Just to put things in perspective, the original Accurate Mag models are selling for 1000 to 1200 USED still. It took me five offers on five guns and 3 months to find one(the sixth gun ad) for 800 dollars. So obviously these original models are still highly desirable. Buyers are willing to pay almost twice as much as what a 2015 model cost. So, read all 15 pages of this thread (I did) and you decide. There is no wrong decision. Just personal choice.

IMO, I thought a NIB 2013 model for 800usd was much more desirable than the 2015 model at 600 that to me needs a 200+ bottom metal PLUS a 60 dollar metal AICS magazine, plus a 20 moa rail, PLUS shipping, plus my time to order and pick it up and install all this. My rifle came with a 10 round single stack metal AICS type mag (made by Accurate Mag...VERY good quality) ready to go. There is no rolling the dice whether or not your rifle will feed flawlessly. No mods necessary. Mine is 100% GTG out of the box.

Savage did not magically waive a magic wand over the new 2015 10 FCP-SR and remove almost 500usd from the price. They had to "cheapen it" via the magazine and bottom metal and rail choice. They have no 20 MOA rail (mine comes with one OEM) which I need and is yet another purchase necessary (The old ones sold for as much as 1200usd. Yes, they sold for a lot less near then end of its run. But a lot of guys paid $1000+new and are happy enough not to re sell it. The first model does not come up on the used market often, and rarely for less than 1000usd used!

I saved time, hassle and money by buying what I did. Hearing about the various early run production problems and defects with the 2015 model had me concerned. You just didn't read anything like this with the original discontinued model. Every run has their defects. A few of my model had muzzle threads off axis. Mine are fine. There seemed to be less of a history of defects with the older discontinued model.

My model has a much longer track record of excellence too. So, there is all those things that led me away from the new 2015 model. Now, finally, it sounds like Savage is addressing some of the teething problems with the new run of essentially a new model. It just carries the same name. They are NOT the same rifle. I would buy one if I HAD to. But, I really preferred to avoid it and am more than pleased with my choice.

This may not compelty answer your question unless you read all of this thread and then read old reviews of the model I bought. This is not to say the 2015 does not fit your needs. Its selling off the shelves. It just needed to much time and money to get up to the specs I require.
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-16-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Basic Member
    A lot of your question is addressed in the previous 15 pages of this thread. Some guys are perfectly happy and leave everything the way it comes. Many are upset, and down right angry thinking they were getting a bottom metal that took a Metal AICS type single stack magazine.

Some owners immediately buy a bottom metal for 200+usd like Accurate Mag, Surgeon, and various others that all take the single stack Metal AICS magazine which is a standard of excellence. You can source these mags almost in a LOT of places. Some guys just buy a specialty after market custom double stack magazine made by Dark Eagle which I hear fits the new 2015 FCP-SR and the current FCP-K.

I want the AICS type mags and bottom metal. Rather than fuss with modifying a brand new 2015 model and not knowing exactly the fit and function of the mod, I found a never fired 2013 model for 800usd. It would have cost me close to 900usd to modify a 2015 to the same as what I bought for 800. Plus I did nt have to order, and install all the extra items (20moa rail, new magazine, new bottom metal)

Just to put things in perspective, the original Accurate Mag models are selling for 1000 to 1200 USED still. It took me five offers on five guns and 3 months to find one(the sixth gun ad) for 800 dollars. So obviously these original models are still highly desirable. Buyers are willing to pay almost twice as much as what a 2015 model cost. So, read all 15 pages of this thread (I did) and you decide. There is no wrong decision. Just personal choice.

IMO, I thought a NIB 2013 model for 800usd was much more desirable than the 2015 model at 600 that to me needs a 200+ bottom metal PLUS a 60 dollar metal AICS magazine, plus a 20 moa rail, PLUS shipping, plus my time to order and pick it up and install all this. My rifle came with a 10 round single stack metal AICS type mag (made by Accurate Mag...VERY good quality) ready to go. There is no rolling the dice whether or not your rifle will feed flawlessly. No mods necessary. Mine is 100% GTG out of the box.

Savage did not magically waive a magic wand over the new 2015 10 FCP-SR and remove almost 500usd from the price. They had to "cheapen it" via the magazine and bottom metal and rail choice. They have no 20 MOA rail (mine comes with one OEM) which I need and is yet another purchase necessary (The old ones sold for as much as 1200usd. Yes, they sold for a lot less near then end of its run. But a lot of guys paid $1000+new and are happy enough not to re sell it. The first model does not come up on the used market often, and rarely for less than 1000usd used!

I saved time, hassle and money by buying what I did. Hearing about the various early run production problems and defects with the 2015 model had me concerned. You just didn't read anything like this with the original discontinued model. Every run has their defects. A few of my model had muzzle threads off axis. Mine are fine. There seemed to be less of a history of defects with the older discontinued model.

My model has a much longer track record of excellence too. So, there is all those things that led me away from the new 2015 model. Now, finally, it sounds like Savage is addressing some of the teething problems with the new run of essentially a new model. It just carries the same name. They are NOT the same rifle. I would buy one if I HAD to. But, I really preferred to avoid it and am more than pleased with my choice.

This may not compelty answer your question unless you read all of this thread and then read old reviews of the model I bought. This is not to say the 2015 does not fit your needs. Its selling off the shelves. It just needed to much time and money to get up to the specs I require.

thanks for the response bigdave. and yes i did read all the pages prior but as you can tell the topic goes all over the place here and there. anyway i have the general jist now of the points and can see how the topic got started via confusion during the individuals purchase. as of now my 2015 fcp does have the rail, the thread protector goes on straight and tight, the mags work fine, and i have a couple dark eagles coming too. so at the end of the day the main difference i see/hear is the magazine well and mags used. so as long as the new model mags work then i am good to go. again thanks for summing it all up for a new savage owner.

BigDave
    It's a split decision. Some buyers could not get their wallets out fast enough. Others like me want a metal single stack mag and seek out the discontinued model in the used market.

I actually at first wanted a 10 FCP-K until I learned about it having proprietary double stack mags or having to get a conversion by Dark Eagle. I dropped that whole notion when I found the FCP-SR with AICS mags. It's preference. Some guys could not give a hoot. Many guys are willing to pay a big premium to get the AICS type system.

When I go to the range I refuse to load mags. So, I make sure I have enough loaded at home and bring those with me. I intend on buying several (many?) AICS type mags. I can get those for less than $45 each in the form of Ruger Scout (made by Accurate Mag).

Dark Eagle mags are over $100 each shipped and they are out of stock. If I buy five mags adding one mag every month, that comes out to more than 500usd. If I can get them when I want one. So, there is that. But that is MY situation, not yours. Just making my point.

Ten years from now my AICS mags will be worth likely more than what I paid for them. Dark Eagle mags 10 years from now? That's a big unknown. Not an issue unless you buy 5 mags like me. Just sayin.

Of considerable interest is how the value of used pre 2015 10 FCP-SR did not drop a penny due to the release of the $600 dollar successor...almost a 50% drop in price from the original model. I was CERTAIN the bottom of the market price would drop out on the 2011-2014 10 FCP-SR's. I tried to reason with no less than 5 sellers asking $1000+ for their USED versions. Not a single one would budge a penny saying that buyers were offering them more than the asking price of 1K.
    I thought I was being lied to. But this happened 5 times. So I had to start checking Armslist twice a day and pounced on an offering of $800(2012, but never fired. Stored in gun safe. Pristine bore!) . It wasnt a pain. Just took a while. I told the guy to take the ad down, I would pay his price, no haggling.

I think paying 1K for a 2 or 3 year old used 10 FCP-SR is ridiculous, but that has been the norm since January of this year.

Had I not found a never fired 2012 version for $800, I would have bought a 2015 model and an ACIS type bottom metal. Quite a few buyers are doing just this.

The other option is dropping the new model into a MDT LSS chassis that has the AICS system built in. Some guys are doing just that. Not a bad way to go in the end.
    I was willing to wait for what I wanted at the price point I wanted.
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-17-2015 at 02:31 PM.

TheBest
    For those who end up buying the Accurate Mag bottom metal, might as well throw the screws away because one is too long, the other too short.

I ordered some replacement screws from Bolt Depot instead. These are the ones I ordered:
    Product #8300 - front
    Product #8303 - rear
    Shipping is reasonable and very fast. You don't need to cut any screws anymore!

Of course the stock screw (closest screw to buttstock) is just fine.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast