Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Basic Member

Glad to hear that you like it. I also found the Australian Outback ammo to be gtg, especially at half the price of the Federal.

Did you figure out what about the magazine was causing your feeding problem?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    Glad to hear that you like it. I also found the Australian Outback ammo to be gtg, especially at half the price of the Federal.

Did you figure out what about the magazine was causing your feeding problem?
    frankly, i have not explored that yet but will do so and post the results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    So I just got a new Model 10 FCP-SR in .308 from Buds. paid about $625 for it. it has the Accustock and Accutrigger. it was missing the scope rail on arrival at the FFL. i had Savage send me one. they did so quickly and at no charge. however, i decided to put a EGW HD 20 moa rail on in place of the the stock savage. added the Millet LRS-1 6-25x glass. very impressed so far with the Millet. compared to my buddies twice as expensive Vortex on his Remington 700, his Vortex seems only very slightly sharper. I also added the muzzle break as seen.

I have had it out to the 100 yd range twice now. did the break in and have been shooting factory match ammo through it. with only 60 rds through it so far, using both both Australian Outback 168 gr Sierra Matchking and and Federal Gold 168 gr Sierra Matchking, it has been shooting moa or less with the Federal the more accurate (no surprise, but the Aussie stuff is good for the price). best 5 shot group with the Federal has been about .5 inch and a couple of 4 shot groups at .35 inch. i don't even consider it broken in yet. The Aussie stuff shoots .5 to 1.5 inch.

Magazine. definitely the weak link in this weapon. i usually only load 5 rounds in the mag and don't need the 10 rd capability. however, even with just 5 rds in place, the last round sometimes does not feed without assistance. this is not a big deal for me because this is used as a slow fire bench rest weapon. something Savage should address, though.

i have the Accutrigger down to the lowest pull weight, but would like to get the target style Accutrigger in place to lower it even more.

Overall, i am very happy with the purchase. bang for buck seems very good to me. looking forward to get some rounds through it and going out to much longer ranges. BTW, this is my first bolt action rifle. I am an AR guy at heart, but this has been lots of fun already. At exactly the same time, my shooting buddy just got a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range (more expensive than the Savage by about $500) in .308 as well. so far, the Savage is doing as well or better than the Rem. we will be competing against each other in the future, and it looks like the Savage is going hold it's own.[IMG][/IMG]

BTW, question for you experienced guys. besides that butt pad i added to the stock, is there any other way to extend the length of pull with this "stock" stock? i added the butt pad not for recoil mitigation, but LOP.

Basic Member
    I haven't looked into it. The LOP for me is just about right. Maybe a bit on the long side for shouldering the rifle, as I sometimes catch the butt pad coming up.

TheBest
    What kind of brake is that?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
    What kind of brake is that?

Midwest Industries

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...tegory_ID=1265

TheBest
    How much was shipping?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
    How much was shipping?
    i don't remember exactly but it was reasonable

Basic Member
    I have a range update -

I went out with the new magazine and put 80 rounds through the rifle. I shot mostly steel with cheap 147 ball ammo, but also put some on paper also. The 147 NATO stuff was 1.5-2" groups, but not too bad. I put 20 rounds of Australian Outback through it at the end of the day, but didn't manage to shoot better than 1". Might just be fouling from the previous rounds and me shooting poorly.

The replacement magazine did not come out under recoil, so that's a good thing. I think the first one may have just been too far out of spec. I still got one double feed with a full mag, but I only loaded it to 10 three times. I just don't think that they can reliably run 10 rounds.

Twinsen
    I've got about as much ammo through mine as the rifle cost. I still haven't figured out how to get MOA out of her.

But in good news, I cleaned the bore of my MVP and the accuracy returned. The first 20 shots all were under half in groups and it was hilarious. Every once in a while you luck out and that 1 MOA gun puts up silly little groups.

My 110 in 338 LM gave me 0.96 and 0.97 with a powder change. I have 199 rounds through her and will begin tweaking the load by first loading longer and then fine tuning the charge. I just did the math on what it would cost to buy 200 rounds and chuckled.

my rifle loves Portuguese ammo … MOA or less when i do my part . Hey Twinsen , my MVP varmint 223 , is insanely accurate and thats with wolf gold believe or not .

Twinsen
    Same ammo here. I did well in a high power competition using it. I found out after I would have been kicked out for using 55gr if they had known.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    So I just got a new Model 10 FCP-SR in .308 from Buds. paid about $625 for it. it has the Accustock and Accutrigger. it was missing the scope rail on arrival at the FFL. i had Savage send me one. they did so quickly and at no charge. however, i decided to put a EGW HD 20 moa rail on in place of the the stock savage. added the Millet LRS-1 6-25x glass. very impressed so far with the Millet. compared to my buddies twice as expensive Vortex on his Remington 700, his Vortex seems only very slightly sharper. I also added the muzzle break as seen and the Southwest Precision cheek riser.

I have had it out to the 100 yd range twice now. did the break in and have been shooting factory match ammo through it. with only 60 rds through it so far, using both both Australian Outback 168 gr Sierra Matchking and and Federal Gold 168 gr Sierra Matchking, it has been shooting moa or less with the Federal the more accurate (no surprise, but the Aussie stuff is good for the price). best 5 shot group with the Federal has been about .5 inch and a couple of 4 shot groups at .35 inch. i don't even consider it broken in yet. The Aussie stuff shoots .5 to 1.5 inch.

Magazine. definitely the weak link in this weapon. i usually only load 5 rounds in the mag and don't need the 10 rd capability. however, even with just 5 rds in place, the last round sometimes does not feed without assistance. this is not a big deal for me because this is used as a slow fire bench rest weapon. something Savage should address, though.

i have the Accutrigger down to the lowest pull weight, but would like to get the target style Accutrigger in place to lower it even more.

Overall, i am very happy with the purchase. bang for buck seems very good to me. looking forward to get some rounds through it and going out to much longer ranges. BTW, this is my first bolt action rifle. I am an AR guy at heart, but this has been lots of fun already. At exactly the same time, my shooting buddy just got a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range (more expensive than the Savage by about $500) in .308 as well. so far, the Savage is doing as well or better than the Rem. we will be competing against each other in the future, and it looks like the Savage is going hold it's own.[IMG][/IMG]
    So, after my 2nd time out with the new Savage, here are some results. i am pretty happy so far. 100 yards, 168 gr Federal Gold Sierra MatchKing[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Jaggy13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Wow, just keeps getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoloki View Post
    I have the same version that Ronnoc has. When I called Savage I was told that it is a special edition made for cabelas. I was also told that the AccuStock will not fit the action as the recoil lugs are different.

-Neo
    Hey guys, great sight here.
    I was on board with one of these rifles for a long range project until I read this.

I was planning on dropping this action and trigger into a chassis and re-barreling in 260 rem.
    This solved the bottom metal issue and I need AICS mags anyway, so no problem there. I was planning on keeping or selling the stock and barrel, even the bottom metal and mag.
    But now, I don't know if the action is even worth buying.
    The Cabelas model is what I was about to purchase. They are shipping one to my store so I can buy it.
    Tell me if this is still going to work or not please.
    If not, I still may go with the FCP-SR just on line instead of the Cabelas version.
    Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    I don't get your question entirely. Are you thinking that the bottom metal will work for you? Because the new Savage metal doesn't work with AICS mags. If you're getting rid of everything but the action, I would not bother with the FCP-SR in either version. I'd just get a cheaper 10 model. You'll also get a stainless bolt that way, which are a little smoother out of the box, in my opinion. By the time your FCP bolt is smooth, it'll be missing half of the black finish anyways. The only thing that the FCP-SR action will get you is the extended bolt handle, which you can probably swap for less than the price difference.
    Last edited by acridsaint; 02-24-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Twinsen
    If you're going with a chassis, just get the cheapest model 10/11/etc you can. Probably the hog hunter.

You can swap the bolt handle of a Savage in 2 minutes and they're cheap.

Jaggy13
    Thanks for the reply's.
    acridsaint, I was going to remove the bottom metal entirely. The Chassis has bottom metal for AICS built in.

Twinsen, The FCP-SR was the cheapest I could find.
    It was $550 after rebait at Cabelas.

Now I am thinking of just choosing a different model as you have suggested.
    Thanks for the suggestion of the steel bolt. I will do that.
    Also I am new to Savages and Bolt guns in general but not to high round count shooting.
    I want a good 1000 yard gun that bucks wind and stays flat with extended barrel life.
    I choose the 6.5 based on those criteria and the 260 because I would like to add a gas gun down the road.

I'm open to any suggestions you have, I will be adding a suppressor at some point and a comp immediately, so a threaded barrel is needed, but can be done locally.
    The gun that inspired me is a model 11 with a criterion barrel shooting 1/3 MOA.
    I think I have decided on a 24" barrel mostly for the suppressor, do you think this rifle dropped into a chassis will work for what I want?
    http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/savage-arms/19130-10-predator-hunter-rifle-260rem-24in-3rd-max1-camo/
    Or should I follow Twinsen's advice and choose the hog hunter and replace the barrel as well?

I would also like to stay with the top located bolt release, but I think one of my chassis options allows for trigger guard bolt release.
    Thanks guys, I feel like I have been drinking from the fire hose on this project. Lots of info out there that is not necessarily linear.

Mods, If you want to break this post off into a new thread, I'm fine with that. Other wise, I will start a new topic called "help me build a long range rig"
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jaggy13; 02-24-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Basic Member
    I don't know enough to comment fully, but it sounds good to me. Just FYI, the Hog Hunter comes with Top bolt release and is pretty cheap at Buds

Twinsen
    If you aren't locked into shooting 308, I hear lots of good about 260 Rem across bolts and gassers.

I only shoot 308 because I always have.

Jaggy13
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I don't know enough to comment fully, but it sounds good to me. Just FYI, the Hog Hunter comes with Top bolt release and is pretty cheap at Buds
    Yes!
    I am thinking that's the way to go now.
    Thanks for the help!

Thanks Twinsen, I'm not a 308 guy so open to starting anywhere.
    Acadamy has them for $449...

And I'm assuming they are 4.40 bolt width?

Maverick

To late

This is my first post. If i say something out of the way dont kick me off, just tell me.

Hey fellows I am a new member just from researching my problems with the 2 fcp-sr I just bought today at Cabelas.

I am very disappointed in savage and in cabelas for this bait and switch type tactics. I looked it up on the savage website and it all looked awesome. I did a review search and they all showed the older version of the fcp-sr and they all were good. I read several reviews from i am guessing paid people to review guns. I called Cabelas and they ordered me two new fcp-sr's in from other stores. I did not look the gun up on their website, because I didnt think it would be any different than what I read on the savage website.

I left cabelas i was happy. I thought I had just bought a quality product at a decent price. 2 for under $1200. I thought I had done good and I was gonna give one to a guy that works for me as a gift and we were gonna have a blast building us two awesome shooting machines. He works so hard for me I was gonna pay for the rifle and nightforce scope and a couple of supressors. we are gonna do a complete build of a couple good medium range guns. Just to say thanks to the guy for all he has done for me and my business. All good intentions and I am still happy at this point

The first thing I noticed when I got home was the stock was real flimsy. I thought man this accustock aint much. So I started looking for aftermarket stocks that we could build our guns with. Never found one they all said it wouldnt work with this magazine. I thought that was wierd.

I was still looking and ran across this thread.

As I have recently learned from this thread I have been screwed I think. So far I have learned I do not have a good stock, and because of the magazine and the recoil lugs, I can not get one. I have an inferior magazine that there seems to not be a fix for.
    So what can I do now. I liked the platform and I still do. I would like to complete these builds on these 2 guns I just bought.

So fellows what can I do now? I dont want to give a inferior gun as a gift to my best employee. What can I do to fix these issues? I dont have time to read all the internet because I run 3 business's and I dont know who to call to get the right magazines and bottom metal to make them work and I dont know where to get a good aftermarket stock to drop this gun into that will work with whatever magazine and bottom metal it takes to make it work.

Can someone help me with this please. I do not know what to do.

Note to savage and cabelas:
    I have a whole new outlook on cabelas and on savage as companies. There is no excuse for savage selling a product that is different than on their website. Had I have done extensive research I could have saw on cabelas website that I was not buying what I saw on the savage website but I am a busy man. I run my business's ethically and I would never put one of my customers in a situation where they would have a feeling like I have right now about two seemingly good companies. I am not bad mouthing either of your companies, just a real customer review from one CEO to another. I know your bottom line is important, I know how a profit margin looks when you cut cost. I also know that you would have made a lot more money off me if I had of gotten what I thought I was getting. I cant really say bait and switch because cabelas updated their website before I made my purchase. But dealing with two seemingly respectful brands. I didnt think I had to research either of you like you were a bunch of crooks.

God says I am supposed to forgive you and I do, I wish both of you the best. I hope you learn from your mistakes and grow stronger in your jobs and your ethics. Getting screwed out of $1200 will not ruin my life, matter of fact it will not even noticed out of my pocket. God doesnt say that I ever have to do business with either of you again. Matter of fact, I probally owe you a thank you, I would have given both of you eight or ten thousand dollars over the next year or so. I think you have saved me more than the $1200 I just lost. Never as a ceo or as a consumer or a man have I ever been let down on the number of levels that you both have made me feel rt now about eithr of your business's or your ethics. I am very saddened with this experience and you may have got me this time. But lets not forget, I have what you want. Your whole business plan is to get money off of me and I can tell you, that will be almost impossible after today.

If either of you want to call me, or write me or meet me in a dark parking lot in the middle of the night ill give you my contact information.

John Salyer

264 robin circle
    Bristol Va 24202

1-276-971-6041

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    This is my first post. If i say something out of the way dont kick me off, just tell me.

Hey fellows I am a new member just from researching my problems with the 2 fcp-sr I just bought today at Cabelas.

I am very disappointed in savage and in cabelas for this bait and switch type tactics. I looked it up on the savage website and it all looked awesome. I did a review search and they all showed the older version of the fcp-sr and they all were good. I read several reviews from i am guessing paid people to review guns. I called Cabelas and they ordered me two new fcp-sr's in from other stores. I did not look the gun up on their website, because I didnt think it would be any different than what I read on the savage website.

I left cabelas i was happy. I thought I had just bought a quality product at a decent price. 2 for under $1200. I thought I had done good and I was gonna give one to a guy that works for me as a gift and we were gonna have a blast building us two awesome shooting machines. He works so hard for me I was gonna pay for the rifle and nightforce scope and a couple of supressors. we are gonna do a complete build of a couple good medium range guns. Just to say thanks to the guy for all he has done for me and my business. All good intentions and I am still happy at this point

The first thing I noticed when I got home was the stock was real flimsy. I thought man this accustock aint much. So I started looking for aftermarket stocks that we could build our guns with. Never found one they all said it wouldnt work with this magazine. I thought that was wierd.

I was still looking and ran across this thread.

As I have recently learned from this thread I have been screwed I think. So far I have learned I do not have a good stock, and because of the magazine and the recoil lugs, I can not get one. I have an inferior magazine that there seems to not be a fix for.
    So what can I do now. I liked the platform and I still do. I would like to complete these builds on these 2 guns I just bought.

So fellows what can I do now? I dont want to give a inferior gun as a gift to my best employee. What can I do to fix these issues? I dont have time to read all the internet because I run 3 business's and I dont know who to call to get the right magazines and bottom metal to make them work and I dont know where to get a good aftermarket stock to drop this gun into that will work with whatever magazine and bottom metal it takes to make it work.

Can someone help me with this please. I do not know what to do.

Note to savage and cabelas:
    I have a whole new outlook on cabelas and on savage as companies. There is no excuse for savage selling a product that is different than on their website. Had I have done extensive research I could have saw on cabelas website that I was not buying what I saw on the savage website but I am a busy man. I run my business's ethically and I would never put one of my customers in a situation where they would have a feeling like I have right now about two seemingly good companies. I am not bad mouthing either of your companies, just a real customer review from one CEO to another. I know your bottom line is important, I know how a profit margin looks when you cut cost. I also know that you would have made a lot more money off me if I had of gotten what I thought I was getting. I cant really say bait and switch because cabelas updated their website before I made my purchase. But dealing with two seemingly respectful brands. I didnt think I had to research either of you like you were a bunch of crooks.

God says I am supposed to forgive you and I do, I wish both of you the best. I hope you learn from your mistakes and grow stronger in your jobs and your ethics. Getting screwed out of $1200 will not ruin my life, matter of fact it will not even noticed out of my pocket. God doesnt say that I ever have to do business with either of you again. Matter of fact, I probally owe you a thank you, I would have given both of you eight or ten thousand dollars over the next year or so. I think you have saved me more than the $1200 I just lost. Never as a ceo or as a consumer or a man have I ever been let down on the number of levels that you both have made me feel rt now about eithr of your business's or your ethics. I am very saddened with this experience and you may have got me this time. But lets not forget, I have what you want. Your whole business plan is to get money off of me and I can tell you, that will be almost impossible after today.

If either of you want to call me, or write me or meet me in a dark parking lot in the middle of the night ill give you my contact information.

John Salyer

264 robin circle
    Bristol Va 24202

1-276-971-6041
    Replace the factory stock with a chassis and don't look back. That will take care of the bottom metal and the flimsy stock with one replacement component. Add a couple of replacement mags and you're all set.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    words, etc
    I think any chassis for Savage Short Action 4.40" action screw spacing will work. They usually take AICS pattern magazines. Magpul is now making an AICS pattern magazine for like $30. If your rifle comes with the new 10 round Savage magazine, it should have factory Savage bottom metal. That would also mean you can use pretty much any Savage Short Action 4.40" stock as well and keep your magazine bottom metal. There are some very cheap stocks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy13 View Post
    And I'm assuming they are 4.40 bolt width?
    I think all the short actions are 4.40" now.

Would somebody who has purchased a new 10FCP-SR from Cabelas (who I note has now updated their website to show the rifle as "non-Accustock") please post the SKU number on the rifle box?

The first two posts in the thread detail the sku. Google Savage 22442.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast