Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Ronnoc

Quote Originally Posted by Neoloki View Post
    I have the same version that Ronnoc has. When I called Savage I was told that it is a special edition made for cabelas. I was also told that the AccuStock will not fit the action as the recoil lugs are different.

-Neo
    Wow, just keeps getting better.

Neoloki

I bedded it with an aluminum rod in the center channel, it is stiff, but not AccuStock Stiff.

Cabelas updated their site:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...LE/1954769.uts
    Last edited by Neoloki; 02-01-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: New Info

Basic Member
    By the way, I concur completely about it being deceitful and wrote the same before. This is my third Savage and probably my last new one. I'm willing to pay more and get less rifle in the future, just to speak with my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    I am not sure where to look for non-accustock part number, can you tell me?

I have to say, I feel this was deceitful on Savage's part. I will certainly be loathe to purchase another Savage rifle and planned next week to be one of the tactical style 22s, but that most likely will not occur, and had possibly planned a third based on what so many said about the rifles from them. I did not expect a GA Precision, but I did expect better than this.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by raygun View Post
    I was having a hard time with the cheek weld … did a little research and purchased the Bradley adjustable cheek rest…worked great… groupings started getting better
    These stock designs with the huge drop are supposedly remnants of bad decisions made a decade or two before I was born. Savage knows they don't offer these rifles with low bore line iron sights, but they pattern the stocks for such use anyway. One day they'll catch up to 1975 and quit it. Until then, Karsten will get my money and Bradley will get yours.

Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    none of us will know until they come out and someone puts one in their Savage.
    I'm your huckleberry.

Rapid Case Kicker
    I put 50 rounds through mine today and my thread protector did shoot loose, but not so bad that I noticed before I finished.
    I use suppressor and compensators on my guns and have found the best way to solve the thread protector problem of it coming while shooting. I thread it on all the way and tighten it by hand. Then I mark the bottom of the thread protector and drill a small hole there. Then I have a hole I can use to tighten it on with a spanner wrench without having to break out the pliers and mess up the finish.

Ronnoc
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Case Kicker View Post
    I use suppressor and compensators on my guns and have found the best way to solve the thread protector problem of it coming while shooting. I thread it on all the way and tighten it by hand. Then I mark the bottom of the thread protector and drill a small hole there. Then I have a hole I can use to tighten it on with a spanner wrench without having to break out the pliers and mess up the finish.
    Why not a drop of Rocksett or Red Loctite? Most of my guns I just use a torque wrench for my QD muzzle devices, but it sounds like something like Rocksett would be better on this gun.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Case Kicker View Post

Rapid Case Kicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Why not a drop of Rocksett or Red Loctite? Most of my guns I just use a torque wrench for my QD muzzle devices, but it sounds like something like Rocksett would be better on this gun.
    Red Loctite works great at keeping the thread protector on the end of the barrel, but the little hole at the bottom of the thread protector allows me to take it off without using a tool that will mar the finish. Keeping my thread protector on isn't the issue, taking it off is.

Basic Member
    I think some of us are having the opposite problem; they are coming off with use. Now, I didn't use a pipe wrench to tighten mine down, so maybe that's a problem, but I'm not really worried about getting it off at the moment. Just don't want it to work itself off while shooting.

Twinsen
    Yeah my threads are sloppier than any I've ever used on a firearm. Definitely unacceptable for a precision rifle. And I'm not going to red loctite my silencer onto one of my rifles.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    Yeah my threads are sloppier than any I've ever used on a firearm. Definitely unacceptable for a precision rifle. And I'm not going to red loctite my silencer onto one of my rifles.
    I think some of us are having the opposite problem; they are coming off with use. Now, I didn't use a pipe wrench to tighten mine down, so maybe that's a problem, but I'm not really worried about getting it off at inthe moment. Just don't want it to work itself off while shooting.
    Just a thought here guys, has anyone ever tried a couple wraps of common plumbers Teflon tape?

Basic Member
    That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. From what I've read, it will hold up pretty well until you remove the thread protector, and then it needs to be replaced, which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    Just a thought here guys, has anyone ever tried a couple wraps of common plumbers Teflon tape?

Twinsen
    That was my plan if excessive fouling couldn't do the job for me.

Basic Member
    I received my replacement magazine today. To Savage's credit, it came quickly with no hassle.

I can't see anything different visually, including the lip on the rear of the magazine that catches in the mag well. It does seem more secure and I didn't find that I was able to rip it free if inserted properly. Only shooting will tell if it comes out under recoil.

It holds the rounds much more securely, meaning the 10th round doesn't pop out as soon as I put it in and the magazine can even be dropped from 6-8" onto carpet without the 10th round popping out. However, it's still really difficult to insert on a closed bolt and more often than not, the top round pops out and causes a double feed. On the few occasions that it didn't do so, I found that rapid bolt manipulation would also throw the top round out and cause a double feed. If inserted on an open bolt it's generally OK, but it still managed to double feed on me once when the top round popped free as soon as it began to strip.

My conclusion is that they just don't know how to make a DBM. If I keep the rifle, it will have to get new bottom metal.

Twinsen
    I bet Savage 4 rounders would work fine if you don't need the capacity. I sold my 10 rounder super cheap so somebody could tinker with it.

Basic Member
    I do think you're right. But, the capacity is one of the reasons I bought mine. I'm going to wait a couple months and see if we get anything solid on Magpul releasing their new stock and bottom metal before I decide what to do with it. Until then, I'll just have to live with a 9 round magazine.

Kokopelli
    Well dang.. I was about to order one of these, but not anymore..

guys like i stated on a earlier post… installed accurate mag kit … no problems … my threads are good too….

Basic Member
    I do think you're right. But, the capacity is one of the reasons I bought mine. I'm going to wait a couple months and see if we get anything solid on Magpul releasing their new stock and bottom metal before I decide what to do with it. Until then, I'll just have to live with a 9 round magazine.
    Do the Darkeagle ten round mags work with this rifle? I have one I use for my .243 Mod 10 PH and it's been flawless.
    http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.php

Quote Originally Posted by mikgarus View Post
    Do the Darkeagle ten round mags work with this rifle?
    Yes.

My conclusion is that they just don't know how to make a DBM. If I keep the rifle, it will have to get new bottom metal.

I have one of these arriving next week... I'm not exciting about spending another $200 on bottom metal.

Do we have any idea whether MagPul's new precision rifle mags will fit in the Savage FCP-SR?

Basic Member
    Not the new FCP-SR with plastic Savage mags.

The mags work fine if you don't fill them all the way up. I'm just overly critical because it was a big selling point to me when I decided on the gun. I don't think my mag dropping issue is as common, although my buddy had the same problem with mags dropping and rounds not stripping in his new 270 last weekend. Just bad luck, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I have one of these arriving next week... I'm not exciting about spending another $200 on bottom metal.

Do we have any idea whether MagPul's new precision rifle mags will fit in the Savage FCP-SR?

Twinsen
    Are you making sure to fully seat the action rearward into the stock before tightening the action screws and also making sure to shove the rear of the magazine in fully before rocking the front of the magazine in? I personally didn't have problems with the mag seating if I did the correct loading procedure.

Basic Member
    I haven't removed the action from the stock. I checked the screws to make sure they were tight before I shot and after shooting it and that's it. I don't have any bolt drag associated with overt-tight screws, so I haven't looked at them beyond that.

I do have the right procedure for inserting the magazine, but that can be a little tricky. I found that you can feel it when the magazine isn't fully inserted at the rear because it "clicks in" a little funny. I may loosen up the screws and re-seat the action if I have problems with the new magazine.

Basic Member

New Model FCP-SR

So I just got a new Model 10 FCP-SR in .308 from Buds. paid about $625 for it. it has the Accustock and Accutrigger. it was missing the scope rail on arrival at the FFL. i had Savage send me one. they did so quickly and at no charge. however, i decided to put a EGW HD 20 moa rail on in place of the the stock savage. added the Millet LRS-1 6-25x glass. very impressed so far with the Millet. compared to my buddies twice as expensive Vortex on his Remington 700, his Vortex seems only very slightly sharper. I also added the muzzle break as seen and the Southwest Precision cheek riser.

I have had it out to the 100 yd range twice now. did the break in and have been shooting factory match ammo through it. with only 60 rds through it so far, using both both Australian Outback 168 gr Sierra Matchking and and Federal Gold 168 gr Sierra Matchking, it has been shooting moa or less with the Federal the more accurate (no surprise, but the Aussie stuff is good for the price). best 5 shot group with the Federal has been about .5 inch and a couple of 4 shot groups at .35 inch. i don't even consider it broken in yet. The Aussie stuff shoots .5 to 1.5 inch.

Magazine. definitely the weak link in this weapon. i usually only load 5 rounds in the mag and don't need the 10 rd capability. however, even with just 5 rds in place, the last round sometimes does not feed without assistance. this is not a big deal for me because this is used as a slow fire bench rest weapon. something Savage should address, though.

i have the Accutrigger down to the lowest pull weight, but would like to get the target style Accutrigger in place to lower it even more.

Overall, i am very happy with the purchase. bang for buck seems very good to me. looking forward to get some rounds through it and going out to much longer ranges. BTW, this is my first bolt action rifle. I am an AR guy at heart, but this has been lots of fun already. At exactly the same time, my shooting buddy just got a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range (more expensive than the Savage by about $500) in .308 as well. so far, the Savage is doing as well or better than the Rem. we will be competing against each other in the future, and it looks like the Savage is going hold it's own.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by swadiver; 02-20-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: pic added

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast