Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    And, it's a long shot, but do you know of anyone who makes working 10 round magazines for our new FCP-SRs?
    Dark Eagle Customs makes 10-round mags that utilize factory bottom metal. $95ea though. I think SSS makes a 9-rounder as well.

Member zRat used to make customs using H&K G3 mags, but new laws in Colorado made that stop. Here are his instructions if you want to take a whack at it
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_5/421...formation.html

Basic Member
    Thanks, I'll look at them.

Accurate Mag

as stated i installed the Accurate mag kit and i went to the range yesterday … product worked flawlessly … shot about 100 rounds … flawless .

Twinsen
    Awesome to hear it, raygun.

Jdm160

Just picked up my 10-FCP-SR

I just picked up my new 10-FCP-SR today. As I stated in a previous thread, it's my first bolt action rifle so my observations may reflect that.

The magazine that came with my rifle did fit 10 rounds without a fuss. It seems that Savage may have just had a batch of bad mags, or they have changed something in their process.

The scope rail is indeed 0MOA.

The barrel seems to be shorter than 24" unless I'm measuring it wrong. It's more like 23." I guess they round up? Anyway, I'm very happy overall for the $700 I paid (out the door). The action is indeed a little bit sticky if you pull on the lever too hastily or at an angle, but it still has the gun lube on it from the factory, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

[hijack] Is there anything I should do before firing rounds through it? Should I clean and lube everything a specific way? I guess I will read the manual, but I'd also like to know what the community thinks as far as break-in procedures. Any links to articles or threads would be much appreciated. Thanks. [/hijack]

Work the action a few thousand times and it'll loosen up; run a couple patches down the barrel and it'll loosen up a bit. Factory new 700s feel worse to me than factory new Savages...but run the bolt for five minutes a day for a week and the 700 feels better than the Savage does.

As for break in...shoot until accuracy falls off, remove carbon and copper, repeat as necessary.

(no, I don't shoot benchrest, how could you tell?)

Twinsen
    Clean the bore with a solvent before firing it the first time. You don't know what's in that bore. Then my next step is to shoot it until accuracy suffers as already suggested.

Jdm160
    Really?

1. Clean bore
    2. Shoot it until accuracy suffers
    3. Then clean it, and not before?

I'm totally new to this, so bear with me. Is this akin to the mentality of "driving a car like you stole it" as a break-in procedure for some? Is there a science to this? Or is it just that anything more is unnecessary labor...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdm160 View Post
    Really?

1. Clean bore
    2. Shoot it until accuracy suffers
    3. Then clean it, and not before?

Yes.

I'm totally new to this, so bear with me. Is this akin to the mentality of "driving a car like you stole it" as a break-in procedure for some?
    No, not remotely the same.

Is there a science to this? Or is it just that anything more is unnecessary labor...
    Barrel break-in is one part science (in part smoothing out the lands/grooves so that the barrel doesn't readily collect copper), one LARGE part superstition (some shooting disciplines are FAR more in-depth with their typical barrel break-in than others), and a dash of voodoo for flavor.

Twinsen
    Seconded. Barrel break-in is a religious thing, like not eating pork. Even if it did work, I would not do it.

I'm gonna go eat some pork sausage for breakfast.

Basic Member
    I'm not really a barrel break-in believer either, but if you want a procedure, I think you could just follow the one that Savage publishes:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/p...barrelbreakin/

This has been an informative thread. I'm about to buy one of these... A Savage 10 FCP-SR with the 20" barrel.

Two questions:

1. Will MagPul's forthcoming 7.62AC mags fit, or could they be made to fit?

2. Any of you guys that bought one of these by mistake want to sell it?

I know you're new here, but be careful with offers to buy outside of the paid classifieds, it's the fast track to the out door.

Take the time to review the forum rules here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ode-of-Conduct
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    The magpul mags won't fit unless you get an older FCP-SR that takes AICS pattern mags. It's also the one that will cost you more money.

Otherwise, you'd have to change out your bottom metal to accept AICS mags, which will run you somewhere near $200.

That's all assuming that they fit the Accurate Mag metal, which they should, but none of us will know until they come out and someone puts one in their Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This has been an informative thread. I'm about to buy one of these... A Savage 10 FCP-SR with the 20" barrel.

Two questions:

1. Will MagPul's forthcoming 7.62AC mags fit, or could they be made to fit?

2. Any of you guys that bought one of these by mistake want to sell it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm160 View Post
    I just picked up my new 10-FCP-SR today. As I stated in a previous thread, it's my first bolt action rifle so my observations may reflect that.

The magazine that came with my rifle did fit 10 rounds without a fuss. It seems that Savage may have just had a batch of bad mags, or they have changed something in their process.

The scope rail is indeed 0MOA.

The barrel seems to be shorter than 24" unless I'm measuring it wrong. It's more like 23." I guess they round up? Anyway, I'm very happy overall for the $700 I paid (out the door). The action is indeed a little bit sticky if you pull on the lever too hastily or at an angle, but it still has the gun lube on it from the factory, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

[hijack] Is there anything I should do before firing rounds through it? Should I clean and lube everything a specific way? I guess I will read the manual, but I'd also like to know what the community thinks as far as break-in procedures. Any links to articles or threads would be much appreciated. Thanks. [/hijack]

Sorry I'm off the mag subject here but you said you just picked up your new 10-FCP-SR? My local gun shop just told me yesterday that gun is not available to the public yet. What the hell! Where'd you get yours?

Ronnoc
    Quote Originally Posted by raygun View Post
    as stated i installed the Accurate mag kit and i went to the range yesterday … product worked flawlessly … shot about 100 rounds … flawless .
    What kind of groups did you get? Ammo/loads?

I just got one last night at Cabela's. They had two on display and one was for some reason marked $10 more. I didn't see this thread in my research until after I purchased it. I checked my mag by loading it and loading it several times by hand and the follower was tilting and the rounds hanging up. I had to bang it to loosen them up, not happy about that.

I spend time on another site and was asking about these. I understand these stocks are supposed to be Accu-stocks, well one guy took his apart and there was no aluminum bedding in it, see here for pics: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_3/99...10_won_t_.html

I have not checked mine yet for the aluminum block. I left all the tags on still, starting to think I should sell it and just buy a Rem 700 AAC-SD like I was thinking, but I had read so much good about Savage.

Ronnoc
    Well, just checked mine, it IS NOT an Accustock. Savage's website clearly states they come with an Accustock. There is no aluminum bedding in it. I doubt I can return it to Cabela's, but I will try. Not happy with Savage.

Well, I spoke with Cabela's and it is complete BS. Apparently, the 10FCP-SR on Savage's site is not the same one that is out at Cabela's. So, if you go by Savage's site, you might get screwed. The one out at a lot of places is a late 2014 version that does not come with the Accustock. I guess some places have it, but not many. Pissed is an understatement. I will call Savage on Monday and see if they will send an Accustock, if not, I am selling this. Between this and the turd mag, I just got really soured on Savage.
    Last edited by Ronnoc; 01-31-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Do you know the part number for the non-AccuStock version? Mine is a 2015 and has an AccuStock.

I put 50 rounds through mine today and my thread protector did shoot loose, but not so bad that I noticed before I finished. The rifle is accurate, regardless. Better than I can shoot. I did manage barely sub-moa at 100 yards with 168SMKs and I think it could do .5" or better if I had operated the rifle better.

The mag that came with it is junk, plain and simple. The bolt failed to strip rounds from the magazine at least twice, maybe three times (I was working in a group and had a lot of stuff to keep track of). I had at least four magazine related failures in 50 rounds. In the instances where it failed to strip a round, I successfully fired a round, manipulated the bolt to ejection, returned to battery and received a "click". I think the rounds are tilting in the mag and not feeding up every time.

It's very difficult to positively insert, even with only 3-5 rounds in it, which resulted in the other 2-3 failures. I have to make sure that I try to rip it free from the rifle before firing. I don't know how people with flush mags do it. I guess just slap the daylights out of it, but that's tough to do prone. I hope that the replacement mag from Savage is better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Well, just checked mine, it IS NOT an Accustock. Savage's website clearly states they come with an Accustock. There is no aluminum bedding in it. I doubt I can return it to Cabela's, but I will try. Not happy with Savage.

Well, I spoke with Cabela's and it is complete BS. Apparently, the 10FCP-SR on Savage's site is not the same one that is out at Cabela's. So, if you go by Savage's site, you might get screwed. The one out at a lot of places is a late 2014 version that does not come with the Accustock. I guess some places have it, but not many. Pissed is an understatement. I will call Savage on Monday and see if they will send an Accustock, if not, I am selling this. Between this and the turd mag, I just got really soured on Savage.

Fcp-sr

Hey Ronnoc … my FFL ordered my rifle from savage itself , mine came with the accustock . As far as groups, 1 moa at times, sometimes better . I was having a hard time with the cheek weld … did a little research and purchased the Bradley adjustable cheek rest…worked great… groupings started getting better .. as far as ammo i used Hornady to sight in .. then switched to Portuguese battle pack ammo… just as good . On my last range day it all fell into place.

Ronnoc
    I am not sure where to look for non-accustock part number, can you tell me?

I have to say, I feel this was deceitful on Savage's part. I will certainly be loathe to purchase another Savage rifle and planned next week to be one of the tactical style 22s, but that most likely will not occur, and had possibly planned a third based on what so many said about the rifles from them. I did not expect a GA Precision, but I did expect better than this.

Basic Member
    Sorry, I meant the actual rifle. The one that the OP has and the one that I have are item #22442.

Basic Member
    I would like to update that I don't think the rounds are tilting, I think the magazine is coming free under use. I tested it with snap caps tonight and found that the magazine came loose after bolt manipulation. I made 100% sure that it was seated properly before I tested and found that when the round wouldn't strip, the magazine was able to be ripped free. I think that whatever movement is causing this will only be compounded by recoil.

It's my feeling that 100% of my magazine failures came from the mag partially or fully dropping out of the mag well. At first I thought that the mag drops were user error, but at this point I believe that either my magazine or mag well are failing. I'll test it with the new magazine and see if the issue still exists.

Ronnoc
    Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    Sorry, I meant the actual rifle. The one that the OP has and the one that I have are item #22442.
    It is 22192.

Basic Member
    Thank you. I wanted to see if it was another # change, which it appears to be.

Neoloki
    I have the same version that Ronnoc has. When I called Savage I was told that it is a special edition made for cabelas. I was also told that the AccuStock will not fit the action as the recoil lugs are different.

-Neo

Here is what I made it in too

Last edited by Neoloki; 01-31-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: ADDED PIC

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast