Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Basic Member

You can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro60 View Post
    because I can't tell with the naked eye!

Pedro60
    you obviously couldn't hence the calipers. champ

Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    You can't?

Basic Member
    Nutnfacy covers two guns in that video, yes, including the... FCP-SR. Because he talks about another Savage rifle his opinion of the FCP-SR has no validity?

If your sole criteria is magazine rattle, you've got me. The old Savage branded ones rattled. Of course, if you expanded your criteria to things like reliability, ability to actually hold 10 rounds, aftermarket availability or price then you might think differently.

everything you posted I have seen and then some. I don't have the time to copy and paste from the forums but the complaints about the old rifle have been plenty.
    Everything Savage did to the new rifle fixed those problems. As for the nutnfancy video, he covers more than the savage FCP-SR.

this link alone should tell yah how bad the old mags were. http://rapidcasekicker.com/rck-space...savage-fcp-sr/
    I have read and heard from countless reviews that the mag rattle was a joke!

Basic Member
    Are you serious right now?
    you obviously couldn't hence the calipers. champ
    See my previous reply:
    Savage no longer lists the base as 20 MOA on their website. And, you can see the cant on a 20 MOA base. Is yours 20 MOA?

Let me know what measurements you want from mine and I will provide them tonight.

Basic Member
    See above.

Pedro60

Basic Member
    If you had read what I posted instead of just trying to tell the world how wrong everyone was for being unhappy, you would see that I like the black stock. The black stock is what pushed me over the edge in buying one because I thought the digital camo looked terrible.

I've also never said that it was a crappy rifle. I said:
    It's not junk, but it's not what all of the raving reviews were talking about. I'd say it's roughly worth what I paid for it as long as it shoots.
    You asked me to point you to one raving review, I pointed to several. Next time, you may want to word your request better. Here's an example:
    "Dear sir/ma'am, I respectfully challenge that you provide even one review that supports the point that you have just made. Should you be able to produce said review, I will, however, have to ignore it, reply with pejoratives, or simply pretend that I never made the request."

So your sole criteria for it being a crappy rifle now is black stock, non rattling mag, and 0 MOA base?

I could care less what Nutnfancy says about it. The new rifle is the same as the old one only improved on.
    My camo isn't peeling and my mag isn't rattling. And I will never be at a range that has a 1000 yard range.

You are a real internet douschbag there champ

Basic Member
    Still waiting for you to tell us if you have a 20 MOA base or not. Of course, if you can't tell, it's probably not necessary to have it.

Rapid Case Kicker

My thoughts on the FCP-SR. BTW, I make the magazine spacer

I purchased my FCP-SR a couple of years ago. The first thing I noticed was the magazine rattle. I built the spacer to stop that problem and then I took it to the range. I used a Horus scope first and then a Vortex Viper PST FFP to sight it in. Both me and another shooter could not figure out where my bullets were hitting. We boresighted it and then took it back to the range. It was then that I found out that it is indeed a 0 MOA rail. I used all of my elevation in my scope just getting it on the paper. As you can tell I am OCD about my guns and not having any elevation (only about 8 clicks were left) on a gun which I wanted to use for 1000 yard shots made me very unhappy.

I shimmed the rail to adjust 20MOA. (a little bit of math, but nothing a good calculator couldn't handle) You can see at the back of the rail scope rail (at 1:15 in my video) there is a little silver piece between the rail and the receiver. That is a two part shim and bedding compound (JB Weld) that consists of two valve clearance adjustment gauges (0.38 and 0.36in if I recall correctly) to mathematically zero the scope so the lowest setting of the reticle and the bullet impact point were the same. Now I have full range of my scope and my zero at 100 yards is 1 inch high, but it is at the natural hard stop zero on my scope. I have the full range of elevation to reach out and touch the target.

Overall, I am happy with the rifle.

My review, the bottom metal is not very high quality and the magazine, while similar to a Accuracy International mag, is not interchangeable. The trigger is great and the stock is great. The threads are tight and my compensator stays snugly in place.

Overall, would I buy it again? I don't know. I think I might just build one from the ground up. (http://www.westernshooter.com/2009/1...age-rifle.html) I don't think I would buy bottom metal from the company that makes it for the Savage rifles, the tolerances are too loose and in my opinion not up to the quality I would want in a $1000 rifle.

The spacer does relieve the magazine rattle, but it is something that should have been fixed in the original design. If you have any questions please let me know.

Aaron
    President of TitanRCK
    Designer of the Savage Spacer and the Rapid Case Kicker.

Basic Member
    Hi Aaron,

You say that the bottom metal is similar but not interchangeable with AI mags. Did you have some AICS mags to try with it? Reports are that the original FCP-SR ran with Accurate Mag AICS style mags, Ruger Scout AICS style mags and I thought both Accuracy International and McRee's mags as well. This is all from Internet reports, of course, I have no experience with it since I didn't get a rifle that can take that style of magazine.

And, it's a long shot, but do you know of anyone who makes working 10 round magazines for our new FCP-SRs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Case Kicker View Post
    I purchased my FCP-SR a couple of years ago. The first thing I noticed was the magazine rattle. I built the spacer to stop that problem and then I took it to the range. I used a Horus scope first and then a Vortex Viper PST FFP to sight it in. Both me and another shooter could not figure out where my bullets were hitting. We boresighted it and then took it back to the range. It was then that I found out that it is indeed a 0 MOA rail. I used all of my elevation in my scope just getting it on the paper. As you can tell I am OCD about my guns and not having any elevation (only about 8 clicks were left) on a gun which I wanted to use for 1000 yard shots made me very unhappy.

I shimmed the rail to adjust 20MOA. (a little bit of math, but nothing a good calculator couldn't handle) You can see at the back of the rail scope rail (at 1:15 in my video) there is a little silver piece between the rail and the receiver. That is a two part shim and bedding compound (JB Weld) that consists of two valve clearance adjustment gauges (0.38 and 0.36in if I recall correctly) to mathematically zero the scope so the lowest setting of the reticle and the bullet impact point were the same. Now I have full range of my scope and my zero at 100 yards is 1 inch high, but it is at the natural hard stop zero on my scope. I have the full range of elevation to reach out and touch the target.

Overall, I am happy with the rifle.

My review, the bottom metal is not very high quality and the magazine, while similar to a Accuracy International mag, is not interchangeable. The trigger is great and the stock is great. The threads are tight and my compensator stays snugly in place.

Overall, would I buy it again? I don't know. I think I might just build one from the ground up. (http://www.westernshooter.com/2009/1...age-rifle.html) I don't think I would buy bottom metal from the company that makes it for the Savage rifles, the tolerances are too loose and in my opinion not up to the quality I would want in a $1000 rifle.

The spacer does relieve the magazine rattle, but it is something that should have been fixed in the original design. If you have any questions please let me know.

Aaron
    President of TitanRCK
    Designer of the Savage Spacer and the Rapid Case Kicker.

Rapid Case Kicker
    And, it's a long shot, but do you know of anyone who makes working 10 round magazines for our new FCP-SRs?
    The Accuracy International magazines have a bowed part at the front of the magazine that makes them incompatible with the bottom metal. Admittedly I only had one new AI magazine from Midway USA but I even hammered that rounded part down and it would not fit. The Accu Mag (http://accurate-mag.com/magazines/) is the company that makes the magazines and allegedly the bottom metal as well. If I was going to get another I would get only the Accu Mag or the one made by them and branded as Savage.

I will borrow a friend's Ruger Scout magazine and see if it will fit and report back.

Aaron

AI-pattern magazines will not work with Savage factory bottom metal (ie. what comes on the new-for-2015 model 10FCP-SR).

They will work, however, with Accurate-Mag, CDI, or PTG bottom metal that utilizes AICS magazines.

Basic Member
    Aaron seems to have a pre-2015 model that cannot accept AI-pattern mags, so that's why I was asking him.

Aaron, make sure that the scout magazines are the metal ones. The plastic ones are reported to not work.

Twinsen
    They also might not work with the rattle eliminator installed. Might be that AM mags are undersized.

As for the mags, reliability is the most important thing about a mag. Everything else is a distant 9,000th place concern. Capacity could also be important if you are going to be competing. The 9 round Savage magazine won't cut the mustard for that. Besides, we can fix a rattle. I'm not gonna spend a year of my life trying to make a bad magazine reliable. Nothing is harder in a repeating rifle than designing a magazine.

Basic Member
    Savage is replacing my 9 rounder with a what is supposedly a 10. They were very good about offering to replace it when I called so we'll see if I have better luck on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    They also might not work with the rattle eliminator installed. Might be that AM mags are undersized.

As for the mags, reliability is the most important thing about a mag. Everything else is a distant 9,000th place concern. Capacity could also be important if you are going to be competing. The 9 round Savage magazine won't cut the mustard for that. Besides, we can fix a rattle. I'm not gonna spend a year of my life trying to make a bad magazine reliable. Nothing is harder in a repeating rifle than designing a magazine.

Rapid Case Kicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    The Accuracy International (AI) magazine would not fit in in my FCP-SR WITH or WITHOUT the Titan RCK Savage Spacer. It was a matter of the length of the AI magazine was greater than the length of the opening in the bottom metal. My rifle was purchased in 2013 and the magazine is stamped Accu Mag on the side. I have not purchased another from Brownell's or Midway USA because the price and the spotty availability of the Savage OEM magazines. If I was to get another, it would only be a factory OEM mag. Anything else I would worry it would not fit.

I was under the impression that AI mags would fit and it was one of the reasons I purchased this rifle, disappointed that was not the case.

As it stands I have sold a couple of hundred of the spacers and had nothing but good feedback. Twice it has been sent back because it didn't fit, but when I got the spacer back it was a manufacturing error and it would not work on my magazine either. I sent out one that fit on my magazine and the buyer in each case was happy. So I think the magazines are the a consistent size (probably made on a CNC sheet metal bender) and the inability of the AI mag to fit was because it is actually longer than a Accu Mag.

BTW, will I always be required to do the "Prove you're a human" thing?

Basic Member
    I think it takes 4-5 posts to get rid of.

Not knowing where you got the mag or what the history is, can I ask if you know if it's an AICS magazine?

I found their PDF laying out their mag types and compatibility:
    http://www.accuracyinternational.com...%2008%2014.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Case Kicker View Post
    The Accuracy International (AI) magazine would not fit in in my FCP-SR WITH or WITHOUT the Titan RCK Savage Spacer. It was a matter of the length of the AI magazine was greater than the length of the opening in the bottom metal. My rifle was purchased in 2013 and the magazine is stamped Accu Mag on the side. I have not purchased another from Brownell's or Midway USA because the price and the spotty availability of the Savage OEM magazines. If I was to get another, it would only be a factory OEM mag. Anything else I would worry it would not fit.

I was under the impression that AI mags would fit and it was one of the reasons I purchased this rifle, disappointed that was not the case.

As it stands I have sold a couple of hundred of the spacers and had nothing but good feedback. Twice it has been sent back because it didn't fit, but when I got the spacer back it was a manufacturing error and it would not work on my magazine either. I sent out one that fit on my magazine and the buyer in each case was happy. So I think the magazines are the a consistent size (probably made on a CNC sheet metal bender) and the inability of the AI mag to fit was because it is actually longer than a Accu Mag.

BTW, will I always be required to do the "Prove you're a human" thing?
    Last edited by acridsaint; 01-26-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Rapid Case Kicker
    The magazine that I tried was the Accuracy International 6955 (from your PDF) with the lip on the front. However I hammered the lip flat (I used to be jeweler, I can assure you my work was perfect) and it was still too long. The over all length of the magazine was too long for the bottom metal

Although the 3902 appears that it would fit.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the additional info. I think that the 3902 is what pretty much all third party AICS mags are patterned after. Hopefully you can get a Ruger mag to try.

Twinsen
    The AX AICS is their pistol grip chassis. The rifle cut off on top of that poster is an AX or AX chassis.

Judging by that poster:
    6616BL = 10rd 223 mag for AICS
    3901 = 5rd 308 mag for AICS
    3902 = 10rd 308 mag for AICS

I honestly didn't know they made that many mags, but it doesn't shock me. I'm American, so I have this crazy notion that we should try to standardize things and not over-complicate them to death.

I look forward to Magpul releasing their 5 round plastic AICS mag. It should rattle less! But really I only care because I'm expecting it to be under $30 street price.

Rapid Case Kicker
    Thanks for the additional info. I think that the 3902 is what pretty much all third party AICS mags are patterned after. Hopefully you can get a Ruger mag to try.
    I got a hold of a Ruger Gunsight Scout rifle that was purchased in 2014. I had two magazines for that rifle (both ten round) a metal one and a plastic one. In the Ruger both had some degree of slop to and would rattle.

The metal one was the same as the FCP-SR magazine and the only difference was the baseplate had a Ruger logo imprinted. It fit into the FCP-SR. It was a little more snug than my magazine. I did not have calipers to check, but since my magazine is a little older it may have just been the paint that was making up the slight difference. Overall I would say the Accurate Mag would probably fit across both models with very minor variations in size and fit.

The plastic magazine was straight walled and had a rectangular outline when viewed from the top. Because my rifle contains the Titan RCK Savage Spacer it appeared it would not fit. However, I think if I modified the spacer to allow for the non-indented sides it might fit. Sometime in the future I will remove it and check again with my friend's plastic magazine.

Overall, I would think the similar looking Accurate Mag metal magazines would fit the FCP-SR. I also believe the plastic ones would as well, but their profile might be incompatible with the Titan RCK Savage Spacer. If I owned the Ruger Gunsight Scout rifle I would make another spacer to accommodate the slop in that gun as well because I don't think a gun should rattle around when moved.
    Last edited by Rapid Case Kicker; 01-27-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Clarification

Basic Member
    I have both Ruger marked, and AccurateMag marked mags (1-5 rounder, 1-10 rounder). They both fit my CDI perfectly, and when I had an AccurateMag DBM (ordered it, but never used it), they fit it as well. AccurateMag seems to be the OEM for everyone that isn't AI. Their customer service was very helpful when I reached out for some info. They were just a little hard to get a hold of, as they are (were?) a small, growing business.

People have run the plastic mags by sanding the ribs from the top portion off the mag. There are a couple of threads on Snipershide and AR-15.com.

Accurate mag installation

i just wanted to go on record and give Twinsen props on assisting me and answering all my question in reference to installation of accurate mag . Installation required cutting screws somewhat but it was simple . Mag fits well … Will got to the range tomorrow i will certainly let everyone know how said product worked .

jough
    I have an FCP-SR from 2013. It came with a 0 degree rail. The Accurate Mag rattles in the Accurate DBM.
    I purchased a Ruger plastic GSR mag and it would not fit without heavy trimming of plastic at the top.
    I also purchased a few Alpha Manufacturing mags that are double stack except at the top.
    If loaded with 8-10 rounds, they bulge and are difficult to insert/remove. At least they don't rattle.
    The Alpha mags work ok if not loaded to near capacity.

Twinsen
    I remounted the rail, rings, lapped, and put a lower magnification scope on my FN. Shot several one hole groups and nothing else. I've never done that before even omce with any ammunition in any rifle. It is confusing how good it is.

I thought the precision rifle bug had already hit me hard. Now it's gonna be like a heroin habit.

"Bro, got any matchkings? Amax? Anything dude. I just need a hit."

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast