Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    I was kinda curious to what kind of group it shot
    looks very tight after 1 shot.

Pedro60
    New to Savages and this forum but saw this thread and had to sign up.
    This is how I see Savages changes to the FCP-SR. I see Savage only improving
    from the prior design. Let's start with the digital camo, I read in numerous threads
    that folks were peeling off the camo by simply removing the Savage stickers that
    come on the stock when new. Savage sent new stocks sans stickers to these folks.
    I personally prefer black and not to worry about my camo peeling. Second, the new
    mag well and magazine do not rattle like the prior FCP-SR. Third, The Bolt knob is much
    larger and more tactical. I can only assume the MSRP drop was to compete with similar
    rifles on the market. All I see is basically the same rifle but with these improvements.
    I mounted a Harris Swivel Bipod and have a Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 that needs mounting.
    I'll take some pics when I follow up

Basic Member
    I just bought one and wish I had seen this thread first. I based my purchase on old reviews. I also think the black stock is nicer looking and was excited to see that they offered a black one, but I didn't know that it came with other "feature changes".

They have deleted the 20 MOA EGW base and replaced it with a 0 MOA Savage base, I don't see how that is an upgrade.

The magazine doesn't rattle, but it's definitely not an upgrade. Where can you buy better magazines than the Savage mags? Because mine is terrible. The old version accepted AI magazines, which are pretty much the gold standard for quality bolt gun mags. My Savage magazine is difficult to insert, the follower is junk, and it effectively holds only 9 rounds. If you shove 10 rounds into the magazine you have two options: wait 5 seconds for #10 to pop out or quickly shove it into the mag well and prepare for a double feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro60 View Post
    New to Savages and this forum but saw this thread and had to sign up.
    This is how I see Savages changes to the FCP-SR. I see Savage only improving
    from the prior design. Let's start with the digital camo, I read in numerous threads
    that folks were peeling off the camo by simply removing the Savage stickers that
    come on the stock when new. Savage sent new stocks sans stickers to these folks.
    I personally prefer black and not to worry about my camo peeling. Second, the new
    mag well and magazine do not rattle like the prior FCP-SR. Third, The Bolt knob is much
    larger and more tactical. I can only assume the MSRP drop was to compete with similar
    rifles on the market. All I see is basically the same rifle but with these improvements.
    I mounted a Harris Swivel Bipod and have a Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 that needs mounting.
    I'll take some pics when I follow up

Twinsen
    I've been helping out another member via PM with the mag replacement.

Accurate Mag offers AICS style DBM for the Savage Accustock inlet. The one they shipped me came with a front action screw too long for the job and told me to hacksaw it down. I did, and then touched it up with a file. That made the switch take 30 minutes. 25 minutes on the screw, 5 for the rest. It fits right in the stock.

Black is the worst color possible for hunting as game animals see greyscale for the most part and black doesn't exist in nature. This means your black rifle sticks out worse than anything else possibly could. Also black in central Arizona means hot enough to boil water in the summer. No bueno!

If the stock magazine had beefier feedlips and a no-tilt follower, it might work.

Basic Member
    Hey Twinsen. I will probably end up replacing it with AICS compatible metal, but I felt burned by it because the magazine factored into my purchase. I was thinking "Wow, what an incredible deal on a rifle that already comes with AI style metal and mag". I think that it was a little underhanded of Savage to do that.

Pedro60
    Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    I just bought one and wish I had seen this thread first. I based my purchase on old reviews. I also think the black stock is nicer looking and was excited to see that they offered a black one, but I didn't know that it came with other "feature changes".

They have deleted the 20 MOA EGW base and replaced it with a 0 MOA Savage base, I don't see how that is an upgrade.

The magazine doesn't rattle, but it's definitely not an upgrade. Where can you buy better magazines than the Savage mags? Because mine is terrible. The old version accepted AI magazines, which are pretty much the gold standard for quality bolt gun mags. My Savage magazine is difficult to insert, the follower is junk, and it effectively holds only 9 rounds. If you shove 10 rounds into the magazine you have two options: wait 5 seconds for #10 to pop out or quickly shove it into the mag well and prepare for a double feed.

How do you know the base isn't 20 MOA? Who confirmed this?
    I have no problem with the mags. If you do I'd advise you call Savage

Basic Member
    Savage no longer lists the base as 20 MOA on their website. And, you can see the cant on a 20 MOA base. Is yours 20 MOA?

Let me know what measurements you want from mine and I will provide them tonight.

How do you know the base isn't 20 MOA? Who confirmed this?
    I have no problem with the mags. If you do I'd advise you call Savage

Twinsen
    Hey Twinsen. I will probably end up replacing it with AICS compatible metal, but I felt burned by it because the magazine factored into my purchase. I was thinking "Wow, what an incredible deal on a rifle that already comes with AI style metal and mag". I think that it was a little underhanded of Savage to do that.
    I was very angry at first as well. Now I feel I have paid a fair price for a rifle. I was buying a $650 Savage I figured would be on par with a FN PBR at $6-700. Turns out it required $950 to get to a rifle I think is only a notch or two below that $6-700 FN. So I only got a little boned out of a few hundred dollars, but I learned to check Savage model numbers and to not do business with Grabagun ever.

When dealing with gun retailers and manufacturers, you can't be hasty. Take a step back, think about how they might be trying to pull a fast one. Because you can be sure that they are trying to.

Basic Member
    Also, meant to reply before, Twinsen in this thread has the exact same magazine problem that I do. 2 people doesn't make a reliable data set, but I haven't seen any positive comments on the new magazines except yours.

Basic Member
    Totally agree with your advice, Twinsen. It's not the end of the world, I just surely don't see the changes as upgrades.

Basic Member
    The savage being as good as the fn I think is an opinion, either way. I've shot several fn-pbr's and I wasn't impressed at all, nor have I ever seen them for $600 with a 10 rd mag. However they do have a smooth action and crf, but the ones I've shot would not shoot with my savages. They weren't lousy shooters, I'd say 3/4" gun on an average. I've owned at least 5 savage fp's and 2 fcp's which would be a comparison to the fn, and all of those fed reliably and where .5" guns easily. But I may be a little bias.lol

Twinsen
    My SPR is silly, silly accurate. The smoothe action and CRF are what I appreciate most as I don't reach out past 600 yet. The 4 round mag they come with works great. I can single load by plopping a round on top of the feedlips. A ten round mag would be a call to CDI. In fact any modification would be a call to somebody with a machine shop.

The 2015 FCPSR I have has a very clunky action. It would be worthless for any competition. But it is for hunting so pfff. I discovered it runs best if I run the bolt with my thumb on the left side and fingers along the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen
    The 2015 FCPSR I have has a very clunky action.
    Its a Savage - to be expected.

It'll get better after running the bolt a few thousand times, and there is some minor polishing you can do to the bolt body cocking ramps to make things a bit better.

Basic Member
    I would like to correct my previous post, the base is an EGW. It is not 20 MOA, it is 0. No markings to the contrary and no cant. Recent posts on here and other forums also confirm that people are no longer receiving 20 MOA bases.

Just posting this for clarity and future readers.

Basic Member
    This has been awesome to watch the transformation from a (sub-par) factory rifle to a nice hunting rig. Thanks for sharing. Should have known it would be accurate regardless of it's cosmetic quality though.

More importantly, you'll have zero problems with the 110 FCP HS. You will absolutely love that rifle.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    This has been awesome to watch the transformation from a (sub-par) factory rifle to a nice hunting rig. Thanks for sharing. Should have known it would be accurate regardless of it's cosmetic quality though.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    More importantly, you'll have zero problems with the 110 FCP HS. You will absolutely love that rifle.
    I'm still thinking it's 50/50 whether I like it. It's all up to me though. Can I stand the blast, noise, and recoil? I'll find out. The rifle itself seems really freaking nice. We'll see if I have the balls to fire it accurately.

Jdm160

Did I make a mistake?

So, I recently ordered a Savage 10 FCP-SR from a local gun shop here in NJ. I'm the type of person who researches things to death before pulling the trigger, and I thought I had all my ducks in a row with this purchase as well. Somehow I stumbled upon this thread tonight, and I'm starting to think I may have made a mistake! This is my first bolt-gun, and I wanted something that I could mess around with long distance target shooting, with a tacti-cool look.. I was all over the Remington 700P, except I couldn't find the gun anywhere and the recent trigger recalls turned me off. So, I checked the Savage website and stumbled across what I thought was an amazing rifle (10FCP-SR, .308, 24") for only $650! Now I'm wondering if I purchased junk .

I already started researching the mag solution from Accurate Mag, but I'm pissed that I'd have to spend $200+ when a 10rnd detachable mag wasn't even part of my original criteria! And the 0MOA rail on the gun is also a bummer. I was planning on getting the Leupold VX-6 in the 7-42X so I can really try to develop some long-range skills over time. I don't think that scope has enough elevation adjustment without the 20MOA rail for 1000yd shooting, am I correct? Am I going to need to get a 20MOA rail?

And what about the threads? Is this typical of Savage, or perhaps just a random issue? I was planning on getting a PWS PRC compensator/Brake to screw on. Am I going to have problems with the darn thing staying on?

Ugh..

18. 01-26-2015, 12:43 AM
    Reason
    Inappropriate language and/or behavior.

Basic Member
    I own the rifle. I'm looking at the base right now. It is not a 20MOA base.

You don't have to believe me. I can give you their number if you'd like to call them.

Has anyone called Savage to confirm the base? I personally don't have access to a a range longer than 200 yards So I personally could care less.
    As for the muzzle threads, mine are tight and clean as a college girl.

Twinsen
    It could be worse. You almost bought a new remington. I have some complaints about this rifle, but it isn't rusted, the trigger is good, it can hit the broadside of a planet, and it doesn't AD.

I thought I was getting a cyber monday deal on the last of these rifles. Turns out they just dropped MSRP and cheaped out on the rifle.

I don't know if other Savages have terrible threads. But these are some nice class 1a worksmanship. The technical term for how accessories fit on them is "all wibbly wobbly".

Basic Member
    If the features that they deleted are really important to you then I think you won't be entirely pleased. The biggest issue for me is the magazine, because I don't want spend the extra money on bottom metal that I thought I was getting and it's a waste to buy a second 10 round Savage mag.

Mine won't hit the range until Sat., so I don't know about accuracy or the threads. It tightened up just fine, but does seem loose until it gets close to the end of the thread.

It's not junk, but it's not what all of the raving reviews were talking about. I'd say it's roughly worth what I paid for it as long as it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdm160 View Post
    So, I recently ordered a Savage 10 FCP-SR from a local gun shop here in NJ. I'm the type of person who researches things to death before pulling the trigger, and I thought I had all my ducks in a row with this purchase as well. Somehow I stumbled upon this thread tonight, and I'm starting to think I may have made a mistake! This is my first bolt-gun, and I wanted something that I could mess around with long distance target shooting, with a tacti-cool look.. I was all over the Remington 700P, except I couldn't find the gun anywhere and the recent trigger recalls turned me off. So, I checked the Savage website and stumbled across what I thought was an amazing rifle (10FCP-SR, .308, 24") for only $650! Now I'm wondering if I purchased junk .

I already started researching the mag solution from Accurate Mag, but I'm pissed that I'd have to spend $200+ when a 10rnd detachable mag wasn't even part of my original criteria! And the 0MOA rail on the gun is also a bummer. I was planning on getting the Leupold VX-6 in the 7-42X so I can really try to develop some long-range skills over time. I don't think that scope has enough elevation adjustment without the 20MOA rail for 1000yd shooting, am I correct? Am I going to need to get a 20MOA rail?

And what about the threads? Is this typical of Savage, or perhaps just a random issue? I was planning on getting a PWS PRC compensator/Brake to screw on. Am I going to have problems with the darn thing staying on?

Ugh..

22. 01-26-2015, 01:30 AM
    Reason

23. 01-26-2015, 01:34 AM
    Reason

24. 01-26-2015, 01:34 AM
    Reason

Basic Member
    If you own the rifle then why do you keep asking other people to call Savage and verify? Is yours 20 MOA or is it not?

Mine is not:

Sorry for the poor caliper photos. I didn't have a way to hold them and snap the photos and didn't feel like setting up the timer.

no need to be a smart ass. I own the rifle too champ

Basic Member
    Let me Google that for you:

You can almost never go wrong with a Savage, and this tricked out Model 10 FCP-SR will most likely be judged as best in class among out of the box rifles.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sava...ew-gun-review/
    my initial impressions on shooting is i absolutely LOVE this rifle!!
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...ood-bad-49127/
    The Accurate-Mag fits a bit tighter when fully loaded and drops free easily when empty. This mag still rattles a bit, and that my bother some, but reliability is king for me—the Accurate-Mag does not effect feeding at all. The mag I used did not rattle, but it did not drop free on occasion.
    http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/savage-10-fcp-sr/
    That last one is for your mag complaint. More than one user noted that other, non-Savage-branded, AICS mags fit and did not rattle. They are nicer and cheaper than the Savage mags. The only ones who would to convince people that Savage mags are better are Savage themselves, maybe.

Here's nutnfancy's video including the FCP-SR:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimLxdHYhGQ

There are more, but hopefully that will give you a starting point for your research...

raving reviews? point me towards one. I personally only heard of wobbly mags and peeling camo. My mag holds 10 rounds just fine.
    My black aint peeling. My mags don't rattle. My threads are ****. What is not to like?

Pedro60
    because I can't tell with the naked eye!

If you own the rifle then why do you keep asking other people to call Savage and verify? Is yours 20 MOA or is it not?

Mine is not:

Sorry for the poor caliper photos. I didn't have a way to hold them and snap the photos and didn't feel like setting up the timer.

Pedro60
    everything you posted I have seen and then some. I don't have the time to copy and paste from the forums but the complaints about the old rifle have been plenty.
    Everything Savage did to the new rifle fixed those problems. As for the nutnfancy video, he covers more than the savage FCP-SR.

this link alone should tell yah how bad the old mags were. http://rapidcasekicker.com/rck-space...savage-fcp-sr/
    I have read and heard from countless reviews that the mag rattle was a joke!

Let me Google that for you:

That last one is for your mag complaint. More than one user noted that other, non-Savage-branded, AICS mags fit and did not rattle. They are nicer and cheaper than the Savage mags. The only ones who would to convince people that Savage mags are better are Savage themselves, maybe.

Here's nutnfancy's video including the FCP-SR:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimLxdHYhGQ

There are more, but hopefully that will give you a starting point for your research...

Pedro60

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast