Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

code.e.616

Just like everyone else I was about to purchase one of these last night at Cabelas. But now I don't know. Just check online and it IS listed as an Accustock and the rifle I held had the sticker right on it. Are all Cabelas FCP-SR junk or just those Coyle SKU's from 2015? Not to hijack even more but how do they compare to the 10T? The fact they're a cabelas exclusive makes me skeptical

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Just a matter of checking.

Difference the 10 FCR-SR has a 20 inch barrel, acu stock, looks to be a varmint profile barrel and 308 only.

10T has a 24 inch barrel, no acu stock, varmint profile barrel and can be had in 6.5 and 308

Matter of which suits you.

FLETCHxj
    Sorry for the newb post but I just bought a savage 10 FCP-SR in the kryptek camo. I ordered a athlon midas btr 4.5-27x50 scope for it yesterday and I'm not sure if i need to get a 20moa rail for it and what size rings? I plan on learning how to do some long distance shooting with this setup. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Rapid Case Kicker

Kryptek Camo stock and the Savage Spacer from TitanRCK

Quote Originally Posted by FLETCHxj View Post
    Sorry for the newb post but I just bought a savage 10 FCP-SR in the kryptek camo. I ordered a athlon midas btr 4.5-27x50 scope for it yesterday and I'm not sure if i need to get a 20moa rail for it and what size rings? I plan on learning how to do some long distance shooting with this setup. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Just so we are all clear I wanted to let you all know that the Savage Spacer (here http://rapidcasekicker.com/rck-space...savage-fcp-sr/) does not fit in the new Kryptek style stock. I had someone buy a spacer and they were a little upset that it did not fit. The Savage Spacer only fits the model that has the original digital desert camo stock. I didn't mind refunding his money, but he was disappointed and adamant it should fit his rifle.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Aaron A. Tracy
    President and General Counsel - Titan RCK
    (Lead Garage Inventor too)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLETCHxj View Post
    20MOA rail? Yes you want one. I like the EGW: https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Gun...ords=egw+80302
    Ring size? 30mm diameter, ring height? Not sure whether low rings are tall enough for 50mm Athlon objective scope

Curious why you bought a SFP scope rather than FFP?

sub shooter
    Hi, I got my 10fcp (22451)about a year ago and it's bolt started after about round 3. I got suckered as well thinking it was the model everyone raved about. It takes a mallet to open the bolt after each round I shoot. I cleaned it and I've tried different brands of Ammo with the same result. After reading all these pages you all sound like the pros. Any suggestions?

Rapid Case Kicker

Basic Member
    Wasn't sure if I should post this here or start a new thread, but anyone got one of these in 6.5 creedmoor? Anyone got NY trigger time behind one?

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigt240 View Post
    Wasn't sure if I should post this here or start a new thread, but anyone got one of these in 6.5 creedmoor? Anyone got NY trigger time behind one?

Savage doesn't make the FCP-SR in a 6.5 creedmore, but you could rebarrel or custom order it that way. However I would say it would be the same feelings people have in .308 since they are decently comparable besides ballistics? Or you could see what people have to say about the Stealth in 6.5 since its basically the exact same barreled action, besides the stock.

Basic Member
    I'm looking at them on gunbroker.com right now. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/581147067

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigt240 View Post
    I'm looking at them on gunbroker.com right now. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/581147067
    Interesting, I've never seen the FCP in 6.5 until now, and it isn't even shown on savages website. Curious how new that is.

Basic Member
    I'm guessing it's one of there special runs. Even with the changes to the fcp sr, this seems like a heck of a deal.

pianoshoot
    Quote Originally Posted by sub shooter View Post
    Hi, I got my 10fcp (22451)about a year ago and it's bolt started after about round 3. I got suckered as well thinking it was the model everyone raved about. It takes a mallet to open the bolt after each round I shoot. I cleaned it and I've tried different brands of Ammo with the same result. After reading all these pages you all sound like the pros. Any suggestions?
    I lapped my bolt with some 600 grid paste and my action has always been smooth. Do you reload?

pianoshoot
    I do not understand why this rifle has been so underrated (FCP-SR 24" barrel)? I have been stunned with the performance. With 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match I am getting (if I do my part), from 3/8 to 1 MOA all day long. I have to admit thought that it took some time to figure out the right torque for the receiver bolts. Before that it was all over the place.

DaYooper14
    Just posted in "at the range" section of forum. Purchased a 10fcp-sr 20" 6.5creedmoor Kryptek from Field & Stream. Love it!!

30plusretlaw
    Hi everyone. I just order one of this rifles and want to know if I should stop the order before I get it. I see various complains about it, and now I'm worried. I order the rifle here http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...hreaded-barrel I tought it was a good price, but now I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by 30plusretlaw View Post
    Hi everyone. I just order one of this rifles and want to know if I should stop the order before I get it. I see various complains about it, and now I'm worried. I order the rifle here http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...hreaded-barrel I tought it was a good price, but now I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    No, personally that is the exact rifle im looking to get, and its unmatched by anything else in the market for what you are getting and the price. Chances are you will have zero issues, but if for some reason you did savage would take care of you. Most of the issues noted in this thread have IMO been resolved.

All models are now accustock, so there is no discrepancy there. Yes, the magazines are no longer AICS, but the savage magazines seem to work decently well, some dont like to hold 10 rounds however. If you wanted, for 175 dollars you can order the AICS bottom metal and magazine that was on the old FCP, and still be in it far less money than what the older model cost. The last issue I recall was the threading at the end of the barrel, which was a rare issue and one that Im sure savage would fix without question.

In all, I think this is a great rifle, and im not sure where you would find a rifle with 10 rd detachable magazines, a heavier fluted and threaded barrel, large bolt handle, and great trigger like the accutrigger for under 1000 dollars, let alone half that.

pianoshoot
    Hello everybody. I have the 10FCP-SR as well in .308 with 24" barrel.

pianoshoot
    Hello everybody. I have the 10FCP-SR as well in .308 with 24" barrel. I have been very happy with it has it has been actuate and consistent for me. With Federal Gold Medal Match 168 I usually get around 1/2" or less at 100 yards. Recently I started to develop my own load using IMR-4895 I thought I was doing fine as I found a good load around with 2750 ft/s, with SD of 8, and OAL 2.804". I was getting a group a little over 1/2". So I decided to tweak the OAL in hopes to fine tune the performance. With a OAL of 2.805" by bullet got stuck in the land and it separated from the casing when I tried to cycle the round once in the chamber, as I had o remove it because the range was turning cold.

My reloading cartridge data:
    Federal Brass trimmed to 2.005"
    Sierra MatchKing BTHP 168
    IMR-4895 42.7gr
    OAL 2.805
    Ogive to base 2.214"
    Chrono Velocity 2750 ft/s

Here is my confusion.
    I used a Hornady OAL gauge and the rifle measured 2.800" (at the ogive 2.214"). The official SAMI cartridge length is 2.810". The Federal Gold Medal Match 168 bullet measure around 2.804" overall length and it does not get stuck in the lands. When I measured the zero distance to lands with the Hornady OAL gauge, and made sure to press hard as to see a mark from the lands on the Sierra Marchiking dummy bullet. There was only one imprint from the rifling on the bullet. Is that normal? I thought I would see thee imprints 120 degrees apart. I am not sure if that is the case with this rifle. Has anyone measured at zero distance to lands the bullet OAL?
    I would be very interested to hear some of your max OAL measurement and comments about your rifle.
    Thank you

justiw
    I don't reload so I won't comment on the previous post other than to say I would take 1/2 moa with factory loads and be happy.

I have a 22442 that won't crack 2 moa with any consistency. I have shot it for about a year with no real improvements. Shot clean, or dirty. Good ammo FGMM 175 gr gives me about 2 moa. Cheap ammo for copper break in gives 6 to 8 moa. Occasionally shot from a lead sled, I can squeeze out 1.5 moa with freedom 178 amax, but never really better than that. Most groups look like shotgun patterns.

What would be your recommendation for next steps? I like the rifle, but it did/does have some of the mag issues others have reported. My mag stays in the well now after my minor modification, but it will only hold 9 rounds.

Thoughts?

pianoshoot
    Quote Originally Posted by justiw View Post
    I don't reload so I won't comment on the previous post other than to say I would take 1/2 moa with factory loads and be happy.

I have a 22442 that won't crack 2 moa with any consistency. I have shot it for about a year with no real improvements. Shot clean, or dirty. Good ammo FGMM 175 gr gives me about 2 moa. Cheap ammo for copper break in gives 6 to 8 moa. Occasionally shot from a lead sled, I can squeeze out 1.5 moa with freedom 178 amax, but never really better than that. Most groups look like shotgun patterns.

What would be your recommendation for next steps? I like the rifle, but it did/does have some of the mag issues others have reported. My mag stays in the well now after my minor modification, but it will only hold 9 rounds.

Thoughts?

justiw,

The reason I reload is because I do not want to spend $30 every time I shoot 20 bullets. It costs me about half now for the same amount of bullets. Besides I want to understand what makes a good bullet for a particular rifle and reproduce that. In this case mine.

I have the 22441 so the harmonics are probably different. But I too experienced bad groups twice during my ownership of this rifle. Once when my scope turned bad (I replaced it since), and second time when I removed the stock to adjust the Acutrigger pull.

I did not realize it at the time, but after re-installing the stock I created two problems. The fist problem was that I had not set the front and rear receiver screw to a torque that the rifle liked, and second I did not install the front part of the receiver properly as it was not seated well on the Acustock metal sub-frame. That was creating all kinds of vibrations and inconsistencies upon firing thus my horrible groups.

I fixed that after spending one day at the range doing a torque load work up.

This is what worked for me:

1. Broke-in the barrel as per Savage website recommended method.

2. I bought a Wheeler torque screw driver. Then I tightened the front bold to 20 in-Lb and then the rear to 10 in-Lb and shot a group of five shots with FGMM. That group was about 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I then tightened the rear and front 5 more in-Lb. I noticed my group shrink. I kept on doing that until my groups tightened to about ½” at 100 yards. All shots were fired with the FGMM 168 gr. The final torque setting for me was 40 in-Lb in the front and 30 in-Lb in the rear. When I returned home I removed the bolts from the receiver and dropped a little of blue thread lock and re-tightened the bolts to the 40 in the front and 20 in the rear. It has been 5 months since then and I have been shooting the rifle almost every weekend and it has remained the same performer.

As far as the mag goes, I do not have any problems as far as loading 10 rounds in it. Mine it is a pain in the rear to get to lock in place. I have to slide it in a specific way, and double check that it stays in place before I shoot. That is about the only problem remaining for me with my rifle.

I am not sure if this helps, but I thought I share my experience.

Let us know

justiw
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have a weaver wrench and I will give it a shot next time.

WranglerSavage10

New to savage and forum

I am new to the forum and new to savage. I followed this thread with what appeared to be a common complaint on the new savage made magazines and not holding 10 rounds. So after months of debating between the FCP SR or a Remington 700, I found a Shop here in New Hampshire with the FCP costing me 529.00 out the door. So that being said here I am, and I am happy to report no issues with the magazine. In my own, completely unscientific testing, I left this mag loaded with 10 rounds out of the rifle for the last 48 hours to see if the 10th round would pop out or have any movement like I have seen mentioned and no issues. I am very happy with going with the savage over the Remington having had 700s in the past. Additionally the threading on my barrel is also nothing to complain about. Threads are clean and even. So with this particular forum having some age to it, it is still a top choice on Google when researching so I will report back when I get some range time in with it.

SubaruEJ25
    I also recently purchased a FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Savage 10TR and was very impressed with the build quality for the price. In comparison the FCP-SR seems unrefined. The stock although an accustock seems flimsier compared to the TR. The bolt appears to be tarnished on the face and the faint lettering of Creedmoor seem to be tatooed into the metal. Despite numerous cleanings it is still tarnished. The bolt itself is not as smooth and is a bear to remove, it requires a good deal of force to pull out. The receiver is crude with tooling marks compared to the TR. The barrel is as nice if not nicer than the TR and slightly thicker as well. The finish on the receiver and bolt handle isn't the greatest, much worse than the TR. The scope is on its way so I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I know the finish has nothing to do with its accuracy and I will report accuracy as soon as I can. However for $575 ( hopefully i will get my rebate), I feel disappointed since the TR was aesthetically much nicer and a tack driver for $425.

SubaruEJ25
    Forgot to put the specs 24" heavy barrel, no flutes, FDE stock and regular bolt handle. I thiught I would be receiving the tactical bolt handle.