Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

gadgetguy1288

Quote Originally Posted by shane431 View Post
    I got one early this year and finally got all the parts together to finish. Shoots great.

Awesome looking rifle! What stock is that?

shane431
    B&C M40 1014. I like it a lot.

Basic Member
    I'm very happy with my rifle. I'm getting .75 MOA in the middle of ocw testing, and I haven't even played with seating depth yet! I'll be satisfied at .5 moa. That's when I'll settle on a load.

chanerz
    satisfied with mine.

Basic Member
    Hopefully I don't go too off topic here, but what soft cases are you guys toting your 10FCP's in? Here's a pic to stay slightly on topic...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
    Hopefully I don't go too off topic here, but what soft cases are you guys toting your 10FCP's in? Here's a pic to stay slightly on topic...
    Um, the $10 job from Gander Mountain? I have to remove the bolt with the big a**ed Vortex on top taking up every free mm of the thing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Um, the $10 job from Gander Mountain? I have to remove the bolt with the big a**ed Vortex on top taking up every free mm of the thing.
    Works great doesn't it?

I have one of the $250 Pelican cases for my .338 with foam cut-outs and everything but the $27 Cabela's special seems to do the job in a pinch.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

cica_trix
    Quote Originally Posted by BackCreekSavage View Post
    Hey all, new to the forum. I bought a 10FCP-SR from my local Dick's and mine has the accu-stock, accu-trigger, and the 20MOA rail. The stock was also Kryptek Highlander camo when I bought mine. The only other thing that I had done was Duracoat the barrel, scope, thread protector, bolt handle and scope rings. I absolutely love mine. Im shooting Hornady 150gr SST Superformance and getting sub-moa groups.
    How are you liking this so far? How is the magazine? I am looking into this specific model myself from Dicks or Field & Stream. I believe the sku number is 22379. How is it past 100 yards, if you have tested it that the range?
    Thanks!

woodworker308

I have one in excellent shape ill be listing on gbroker this week shot very little.

I have one in excellent shape with original box and all ill be listing on gbroker this week shot very little, have little time to enjoy it while building a new house.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    If I had known about the Savage model number system this wouldn't have happened.

When I saw the rifle wasn't light colored, I bought like $120 worth of duracoat. I also bought rings and an optic and all.

How often do 10 FCP-SR's show up for sale in the classifieds? No need to tell me if there is one right now. Maybe I'll go "paid member" in a couple hours from work.

I narrowed my choices down to the 10 FCP-SR and the FN PBR. But they both dried up. Ah, life.

Basic Member
    Looking good

benellibill
    OK guys, Gonna jump on into this thread and hopefully get my head wrapped around this mess. First, I am new here but not to weapons and shooting. I spent quite a few years in the Army but not enough to retire. I am also new to Savage and add to that, new to bolt guns. Im a big AR nut but want to change it up a bit so after, like many here, doing a good bit of research on the web (I know, not the best place to do "research") I thought I had found a decent place to start my new project, the Savage 10FCP-SR in .308. Whoa, then I found this thread. How did I not find this thread before buying, I don't know. Now, I noticed that a good portion of the thread is a few years old. How they got any of the issues brought to light here fixed? Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Its a new, in the box FCP with the accu-trigger and accu-stock, 10 round box mag and that big, clunky looking bolt handle. The model number is 22441 and the serial number is J978371. Can anyone decipher any info by using either or both of these numbers? I plugged the serial into Savage's website and got a parts diagram for replacement parts, is that all that is supposed to come up?
    Now, I may or may not keep the gun, bought from GunBroker for a really decent price so I hope it doesn't have the symptoms described here though I don't have real high hopes, I guess Im just cynical that way and then if it doesn't then I will just be pleasantly surprised. I do have a backup plan though if it does turn out to be a lemon. I walked into a local gunstore and found a 10FCP-HS .308 for the same price as I paid for the SR. The store owner said he just got it in on consignment and being that I live in a very small town he of course knows the current owner, and the gun. The store owner says the gun has had less than 100 rounds through it and the condition of the gun reflects very little use and great care. The bore is just beautiful, locking lugs are near pristine, bolt shows no binding wear and everything functions just as it should. I wasn't able to make it there in time today but called the store and asked if he still had the gun and he said he did so Im going there tomorrow. I did get the serial number while there, it is J197576 if that helps anyone determine exactly what this is, I would appreciate any info anyone may have to pass along.

I have found a source for what are supposed to be really high quality mags, Dark Eagle Custom. Theyre pricey but if I have to go that route I will. He even makes really cool MOLLE pouches for them, just for them, and an extended mag release.
    I don't want to hi-jack the thread but how does everyone think the 10HS compare to the 10 SR? I mean, its the same price and near mint, well, it is mint condition. I just don't want to end up pouring 3K into what I was hoping to be a 1500$ project and then still only end up with a gun not worth either of those figures. I already have the scope, Bushnell elite tactical 6-24x50 30mm tube and a Warne 20MOA base with Warne Tactical rings. I like this set-up and have used it in the past. I just don't know which gun I will put it on.
    Im not asking anyone to buy my next rifle for me but I am looking for wisdom. I am very new to bolt guns. ANy help out there? I guess I should have said this earlier, but I intend to use this whichever one I buy strictly as a paper puncher. SO, is it the 10SR or the 10HS??? Im personally leaning towards the HS but that depends on what I hear here. You guys seem pretty passionate, and pretty honest with your opinions and experiences.
    And by the way, hello to all of you.
    Last edited by benellibill; 03-10-2016 at 10:05 PM.

My choice would be the 10FCP-HS. Savage has cut too many corners on the SR for me to even consider it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

benellibill
    That's kind of the side of the fence Im leaning towards but, are there any issues with this platform ? Does it have a decent record, performance, reliability, accuracy or does it still need work to work out to the 300-500 meter range?
    Thanks so much for your advice. I felt sort of bad posting this question. Im still reading through the thread and know now the problems of the new versus the old . I read so many posts starting off the exact way mine did, "New to Savage, New to bolt guns" but I did not have to ask what the differences were at least. Im really just wanting to know if they have remedied any of them or are people still having to replace the bottom metal, mags etc. How are the new versions shooting compared to the new ones? That's the real test I guess, the groups. AND, whats the track record of the HS. The 10 round mag isn't THAT big of a deal to me but would be nice.

You may or may not get a good shooter right out of the box. Savage of late has done a crappy job of throating rifles in both 308 and 6.5, a quick search will reveal several threads concerning that. And then there's that "redesigned" magazine....Is it 10 or is it 9? Throw enough money at it and you'll have......an FCP-HS.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

benellibill
    Hum, I starting to wonder if I should just stick with AR's. Seriously, I want to try something new but my money are hard earned and I have a real quick fuse. I just don't want to waste a lot of money and end up with crap in my hands. My plan was to"hopefully" just buy a decent shooting gun out of the box and top it with a decent scope and go to the range and have some fun. Nott knowing my way around a bolt gun enough to know what to add and why, or when puts me in a situation where I have to experiment and I don't have the time, inclination, nor the funds to do that.
    These companies who make stuff here in America want it to mean something just as we do but they don't either seem to be willing or able to do what it is that needs to be done to make it mean what they and we think it should mean. AHH, but Im ranting to the choir probably.
    I did some more poking around last night on the interweb and surprisingly, didn't find near as much about the 10HS and the SR. Seems though I did read that the stock on it is made by Savage, where I thought it was made by HS Precision. Am I right or is what I read correct? At least the HS model Im looking at may not have the same barrel throat problems as the newer SR's and doesn't have the mag problems as the new /old SR's, plus, the dealer wants the same for the HS as I paid for the SR and as far as condition of the two, the SR I know is new and the HS appears to be the same as a new one.
    Umm, what to do.

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle as you serial number J554405 which I purchased last November - I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but have cycled my rounds through the gun without any problems - the magazine works well. Overall it feels well built - my advice would be to shoot it and keep it.

benellibill
    ivob, do you have the FCP-SR or the FCP-HS. Im glad you like your so far but the proof is in the shooting but solid functioning is important too I guess.

benellibill
    I took possession of my FCP-SR this afternoon and have a 3 day period in which to look it over and decide whether not I want to keep or return it and get the HS. First, the mag is absolutely rock solid with no play when inserted empty, and goes perfectly when fully loaded with all ten rounds, which it accepts just fine. I also cycled all ten rounds for feeding and extraction about 10 times and all 10 times again, it functioned fine. No problems with the follower either. When empty the mag release button/arm ejected the mag completely clear of the stock with force. I liked that.
    Of course the trigger feels great and I like the overall feel of the gun, BUT, I have to ask this, should the bolt be loose and rattle a lot when in battery? When I cycle the action and am holding the rifle with my control hand and shake it, seems quite loose and noisy. I thought these guns had loose and noisy mags not bolts. Is this normal? Seems to me that it should be locked solidly in place.
    I have no idea how it shoots yet, these are just my initial impressions. I may end up with both. I can get the HS for just over $600, and its new too.

Basic Member
    it is the SR I purchased it at a local (well known) gun shop they recommended it - had the choice of the 20 inch or 24 inch barrel - they recommended the 24 inch

Basic Member
    Mine is not sloppy when closed and loaded but when no round in it mine is like yours

Basic Member
    I recently purchased a new 10 FCP-SR 308 Win with a fluted 20" barrel for my son as a wedding present. I've been playing around with it and I'm very impressed with the accuracy. 100 yd groups are averaging just over .6 MOA. I've only fired 1 400 yd group so far and it was 3 rounds at .65 MOA. I'm loading 178 & 155 gr A-Max over near max charges of Varget. 178gr is loaded close to the lands, .003" jump and 155gr is .05" jump. I really like the accustock and see no need to upgrade it. I torqued the action screws to 40 inch lbs each. I installed a cheap SS muzzle break I bought off of eBay and it tamed the recoil. The only problem I've had is the magazine, the 1st round jumps out of the mag if 10 rounds are loaded and will not feed properly. The remaining 9 feed ok. Also, the barrel does not seem to foul quite as badly as my other factory Savage barrels.

Last edited by BigDad; 03-16-2016 at 01:47 PM.

benellibill
    Good Lord man, those look sweet.

Steven4HIM

Any Update?

Hi Benellibill,
    I was in the same boat as you, looking for a bolt action rifle and came across across the Savage 10FCP-SR and was super excited to read all the wonderful reviews on it. I was about to purchase it and came across this thread and all my excitement was shattered. So after reading I'm so torn if I should take the chance and buy one or not. I guess I was wondering if you had any update on your experience. Did you end up keeping the SR or did you go with the HS? Please let me know as I really want to so badly like this rifle as the price point makes it an affordable long range rifle. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benellibill View Post
    I took possession of my FCP-SR this afternoon and have a 3 day period in which to look it over and decide whether not I want to keep or return it and get the HS. First, the mag is absolutely rock solid with no play when inserted empty, and goes perfectly when fully loaded with all ten rounds, which it accepts just fine. I also cycled all ten rounds for feeding and extraction about 10 times and all 10 times again, it functioned fine. No problems with the follower either. When empty the mag release button/arm ejected the mag completely clear of the stock with force. I liked that.
    Of course the trigger feels great and I like the overall feel of the gun, BUT, I have to ask this, should the bolt be loose and rattle a lot when in battery? When I cycle the action and am holding the rifle with my control hand and shake it, seems quite loose and noisy. I thought these guns had loose and noisy mags not bolts. Is this normal? Seems to me that it should be locked solidly in place.
    I have no idea how it shoots yet, these are just my initial impressions. I may end up with both. I can get the HS for just over $600, and its new too.

benellibill
    Steven, sorry Ive not replied sooner, I did return the SR and bought the HS, and I love it, I am nothing but happy with my decision, and the price was one that I would probably not see again. The HS was "used" but neither me nor the gun store owner ( I bought it at Albrights gun store in Easton, super great guys) could find any evidence of it being fired. He said he knew the former owner. So, for just over $600 I bought a really nice, "new" used gun that retails for about two times my price.
    Now for the sad part, I still haven't taken it to the range. I ended up taking longer than expected to find a scope, then I had to decide on some new rings, chopped up the stock and put in the Loggerhead hardware to make the cheekpiece adjustable. Now I'm saving for an S7 bipod. I bought a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24X50 and mounted it in a set of steel Badger Ordnance 306-11 rings.
    The trigger in the gun feels friggin awesome and soon, very soon, I will go to the range for sighting in and testing out the tracking of the scope etc...
    For the price, I'm happy with my purchase decision.
    Anybody have any good stories to tell about using Duracoat? How does it hold up? I know its not in the same class as Ceracoat but whats your opinions of it? I love black guns but this one is just screaming for a paintjob.

Basic Member
    The old model with a camo stock and AI style DBM are hard to find?