Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Basic Member

The Mark II FV-SR wears a Nikon 3-9x40 and the 93R17-FV wears a Mueller APT. I'll try to add them to the rimfire picture thread so that I don't cause too much off topic talk in this thread...

Powerstroke
    Lol I hear yea on that..just throw in some talk about the 308 next time.
    Last edited by Powerstroke; 09-30-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Powerstroke
    I am thinking about a Choate Tactical Savage Stock - Bedded, Free Floated, with Adjustable Spacer System..

Basic Member
    I'm a little late to the game, first post also.

Just purchased an fcp-sr today, but decided on this model with a slightly different approach. Been wanting to get into longer range (<500yds) shooting and couldn't hear enough about how well the 10 precision carbine is/was. A 24 hour search yielded 2 vendors with NIB pc's in stock: one for $735 and another for $805 plus shipping. No scope base included, non fluted threaded barrels on both. Kept looking around, realized an fcp-sr is a pc with a scope base, 10rd mag, black accustock and fluted barrel for $100 LESS than a pc. I'm banking on either a 55102 or 55105 4rd mag for a mod 10 being plug and play and voila: precision carbine for $675. Calling Savage tomorrow to verify my notion. I don't plan on doing the AI bottom metal as I dont yet have the need. This thread has been a huge help. Oh, and hello from VA! :)

ETA: 55105 mags will work in this rig.
    Last edited by Front Royalty; 10-06-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Powerstroke
    I like the gun but just can't get past the cheap stock.

I am looking at this for my next rifle. I was told the acustock made it a more stable. Is there a better rifle model with a better stock from savage?

Basic Member
    Sure they do! How much you wanna spend? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Sure they do! How much you wanna spend? :D
    I like this model rifle and I really like the price. But it has a few features I don't need. I don't need a threaded barrel, I don't think I will need to run a muzzle break on a .308. I can't run it suppressed because I live in California and I don't need a ten round mag. I would be fine with a rifle that feeds from the top.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ77 View Post
    I like this model rifle and I really like the price. But it has a few features I don't need. I don't need a threaded barrel, I don't think I will need to run a muzzle break on a .308. I can't run it suppressed because I live in California and I don't need a ten round mag. I would be fine with a rifle that feeds from the top.
    I don't think you'll find anything at this price point that matches accuracy out of the box, even with fewer features. IF you do, please let me know so I can have one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ77 View Post
    Is there a better rifle model with a better stock from savage?
    IMHO, no, and at this price point there's not a better rifle from anybody else, either.

With the $100 Savage rebate, mine was $530, shipped...

Twinsen
    For what mine has cost me, I could have bought many other brands of rifle that would shoot considerably better. I believe several even guarantee it. I heard Tikka guarantees 1 MOA. My AR15s are more accurate and cheaper.

Glad I found this thread before buying. I'm severely left-handed/left eye dominant, and have tried shooting right-handed rifles, but my accuracy decreases somewhat. I've been looking at the newest iteration of the 308 FLCP-SR (SKU 22194). Already have a Viper Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP scope on the way. Now just need to find the rifle - sold out everywhere!

Basic Member
    Double post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    For what mine has cost me, I could have bought many other brands of rifle that would shoot considerably better. I believe several even guarantee it. I heard Tikka guarantees 1 MOA. My AR15s are more accurate and cheaper.
    Define considerably...how bad is yours shooting? And just how much do you have wrapped up in this thing?

Twinsen
    I'd hope for 0.50-0.75 MOA from a bolt gun at worst. My Savages can't quite reach 1 MOA. If I can find a Winchester that shoots that badly, I'd be shocked. Certainly it would be cheaper as well, and the action would be smoothe and not bind up.

I had $990 into the rifle by quick math here. But since it won't shoot and there's some sick joke in the industry to rifle 223 barrels 1:9-1:14, I have bought what I need to convert the rifle to a 223 with an acceptable twist rate. I am hoping an aftermarket barrel will allow me to shoot groups as well as my service rifle does.

Basic Member
    Twin, NONE of your Savages can shoot 1 MOA? I have had dozens in the past couple years and they ALL shoot 3/4 MOA or better. Most shoot FAR better than that.

I am really surprised you aren't getting that.

Twinsen
    That's with loading the bullets out a bit longer, trying 5 different charges, using Lapua brass, SMK bullets, single loading the rifle, individually measuring each powder charge, etc. To get 1 MOA out of other rifles, I just shoot factory ammo.

The rear of the locking lugs wore evenly, as you could verify. So you'd think it would have shot extremely well. I haven't checked, but I bet my FN/Winchester lugs aren't nearly as true as the bolt head doesn't float.

I dunno.

Petre
    Hi all, and thanks so much for all the information on this rifle. I've been wanting to do a .308 build for a while and always wanted a Savage to add to my collection. The Model 10 FCP-SR fit the bill for me so I started doing some research of which this thread has been by far the most helpful in my search for accurate information.

After reading all 21+ pages I'm happy to say I wanted to register here and hopefully have some new information I could offer.

I purchased this model from Cabelas. Brand new just come in on OCT 8th. They had 2 left when I got to the store and I looked both over before choosing mine. I was looking to hopefully see the model with sku# 22442 but that is not what they are selling. It is also no longer sku# 22192 (I believe that's the one Cabelas and Savage are taking all the heat for here and elsewhere with no Accustock, missing rails and changed DBM)

The new sku# is 22497. and it is listed on the box as a CAB Model 10 FCP-SR ... So it's still a Cabelas model, but I'm not sure what they're switching on it.

It has as far as I can tell, all the features listed as on the model with sku#22442.

- 20" fluted barrel
    - Threaded barrel end with protector. 5/8"-24
    - Accustock (confirmed via visual inspection as I've already taken it out to adjust trigger, not trusting the sticker alone which is on the stock)
    - Scope base - 0 MOA and NOT branded EGW. Possibly one place they've cut cost but looks of solid quality.
    - Savage DBM and 10rd magazine.
    - Massive knurled bolt some love some hate.

I think that about covers the details. Overall the only thing missing from the original FCP-SR's seems to be the Accurate Mag DBM and magazine now.

Have yet to fire this rifle, am going to do my build complete and then see how she runs.

Some impressions being new to Savage. First thing I noticed on the 2 rifles in the store. One of the two had some slightly damaged threads on the barrel closest to the flutes and action (That disqualified that one for me). Both have what I can only describe as a sloppy bolt action, but from what I understand that's the nature of this beast and does not affect accuracy. On mine I set accutrigger as low as it would allow. I've become superspoiled by my Calvin Elite triggers on my Remmy 700's. At the lowest setting, cycling the bolt fast causes the Accutrigger to reset. So I dialed it up to about 1.75lbs. Now only hard action cycling resets the trigger, otherwise it's a nice clean, creep-free break. Good enough for now.

The magazine at first I felt, as delivered is total garbage. It gave me a good laugh having rounds fly out of it every time I tried to insert the magazine into the rifle. Sometimes 2 at a time. It also would not feed some and the bolt would pass right over the next round leaving an empty chamber. The magazine takes 10rds as advertised, but simply turning the magazine quickly in the hand, lets say in a competition like setting, was causing rounds to come flying out and usually leaving the follower crooked, lol! Since I will most likely change the DBM to an Accurate Mag set up or chassis that accepts AICS mags, I'm not upset about it but just for fun I got out a special tool and tried to fix this POS magazine. I call it Monkey grip, which I happen to have been born with plenty of and applied a generous amount of it to the feed lips of this piece of junk magazine. After a couple tries and some cycling... VIOLA! Takes all 10rds, rounds don't come flying out when handling the magazine, can load bolt open into the rifle without it popping a round or 3 out, cycles all rounds perfectly. Can even load bolt closed with 10rds in, no problem. I found the trick there is to not do as I will with an AR or AK platform more or less rocking the magazine in from front to back, but instead, but instead seat it from back to front and then no problems and she doesn't fall out. Another reason I'll be switching to Accurate mag DBM. Muscle memory has me inserting magazines a certain way and it works well for me. No need to have to double think it, every time I load this rifle.

Overall I'm feeling really good about my first Savage build. Hopefully won't be the last.

So again, MUCH THANKS to ALL for all the info given here that helped me make an informed purchase. Very much appreciated and hope this post offered a little more insight.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    I'd hope for 0.50-0.75 MOA from a bolt gun at worst. My Savages can't quite reach 1 MOA. If I can find a Winchester that shoots that badly, I'd be shocked. Certainly it would be cheaper as well, and the action would be smoothe and not bind up.

I had $990 into the rifle by quick math here. But since it won't shoot and there's some sick joke in the industry to rifle 223 barrels 1:9-1:14, I have bought what I need to convert the rifle to a 223 with an acceptable twist rate. I am hoping an aftermarket barrel will allow me to shoot groups as well as my service rifle does.
    ****. I would think it'd be doing better for you.

Basic Member
    my Savage 10 FCP-SR 24 inch barrel is shooting between .45" and .75 " inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds. 168 gr Matchkings, Nosler 168 Custom Competition HPBT's, or 168 Amax's. took some effort , but i ended up fire lapping the barrel with the Tubbs fire lapping bullets. I did not use the entire set, just the middle level to the finest one. tightened up the groups a bit more

I'm looking into a few different rifles. I think the leader right now is the Ruger precision rifle. Also looking at the Tika T3 and Remington 700

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petre View Post
    Hi all, and thanks so much for all the information on this rifle. I've been wanting to do a .308 build for a while and always wanted a Savage to add to my collection. The Model 10 FCP-SR fit the bill for me so I started doing some research of which this thread has been by far the most helpful in my search for accurate information.

After reading all 21+ pages I'm happy to say I wanted to register here and hopefully have some new information I could offer.

I purchased this model from Cabelas. Brand new just come in on OCT 8th. They had 2 left when I got to the store and I looked both over before choosing mine. I was looking to hopefully see the model with sku# 22442 but that is not what they are selling. It is also no longer sku# 22192 (I believe that's the one Cabelas and Savage are taking all the heat for here and elsewhere with no Accustock, missing rails and changed DBM)

The new sku# is 22497. and it is listed on the box as a CAB Model 10 FCP-SR ... So it's still a Cabelas model, but I'm not sure what they're switching on it.

It has as far as I can tell, all the features listed as on the model with sku#22442.

Interesting I had a savage in .17 HMR that had a mag that did EXACTLY as you said yours did. Same fix also has had mine running fine for over a year now. Also Have a 10 rounder for my .22 that won't click in with the bolt closed but thats not that big of a deal.

- 20" fluted barrel
    - Threaded barrel end with protector. 5/8"-24
    - Accustock (confirmed via visual inspection as I've already taken it out to adjust trigger, not trusting the sticker alone which is on the stock)
    - Scope base - 0 MOA and NOT branded EGW. Possibly one place they've cut cost but looks of solid quality.
    - Savage DBM and 10rd magazine.
    - Massive knurled bolt some love some hate.

I think that about covers the details. Overall the only thing missing from the original FCP-SR's seems to be the Accurate Mag DBM and magazine now.

Have yet to fire this rifle, am going to do my build complete and then see how she runs.

Some impressions being new to Savage. First thing I noticed on the 2 rifles in the store. One of the two had some slightly damaged threads on the barrel closest to the flutes and action (That disqualified that one for me). Both have what I can only describe as a sloppy bolt action, but from what I understand that's the nature of this beast and does not affect accuracy. On mine I set accutrigger as low as it would allow. I've become superspoiled by my Calvin Elite triggers on my Remmy 700's. At the lowest setting, cycling the bolt fast causes the Accutrigger to reset. So I dialed it up to about 1.75lbs. Now only hard action cycling resets the trigger, otherwise it's a nice clean, creep-free break. Good enough for now.

The magazine at first I felt, as delivered is total garbage. It gave me a good laugh having rounds fly out of it every time I tried to insert the magazine into the rifle. Sometimes 2 at a time. It also would not feed some and the bolt would pass right over the next round leaving an empty chamber. The magazine takes 10rds as advertised, but simply turning the magazine quickly in the hand, lets say in a competition like setting, was causing rounds to come flying out and usually leaving the follower crooked, lol! Since I will most likely change the DBM to an Accurate Mag set up or chassis that accepts AICS mags, I'm not upset about it but just for fun I got out a special tool and tried to fix this POS magazine. I call it Monkey grip, which I happen to have been born with plenty of and applied a generous amount of it to the feed lips of this piece of junk magazine. After a couple tries and some cycling... VIOLA! Takes all 10rds, rounds don't come flying out when handling the magazine, can load bolt open into the rifle without it popping a round or 3 out, cycles all rounds perfectly. Can even load bolt closed with 10rds in, no problem. I found the trick there is to not do as I will with an AR or AK platform more or less rocking the magazine in from front to back, but instead, but instead seat it from back to front and then no problems and she doesn't fall out. Another reason I'll be switching to Accurate mag DBM. Muscle memory has me inserting magazines a certain way and it works well for me. No need to have to double think it, every time I load this rifle.

Overall I'm feeling really good about my first Savage build. Hopefully won't be the last.

So again, MUCH THANKS to ALL for all the info given here that helped me make an informed purchase. Very much appreciated and hope this post offered a little more insight.
    I have a .17 hmr mag that required the exact same treatment.

Basic Member
    Rifle came in today. All three sling studs overturned approximately 1/16th turn, the two forward most scope base screws 1/4 turn from finger tight, with the forward most screw cap stripped about 30% if the way down. Nitpicky stuff, I know. I mocked up my new Vortex optic and realized the Seekins low rings I was planning on purchasing will jack the scope up about 1/2"... What's everyone else running? This is Viper 30mm tube 50mm obj.

ETA: Disregard, seekins uses ring height measurement, not saddle height. Duh.
    Last edited by Front Royalty; 10-13-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Rifle came in today. All three sling studs overturned approximately 1/16th turn, the two forward most scope base screws 1/4 turn from finger tight, with the forward most screw cap stripped about 30% if the way down. Nitpicky stuff, I know. I mocked up my new Vortex optic and realized the Seekins low rings I was planning on purchasing will jack the scope up about 1/2"... What's everyone else running? This is Viper 30mm tube 50mm obj.

ETA: Disregard, seekins uses ring height measurement, not saddle height. Duh.

I love my SWFA Super Sniper 16 X 42 mil quad reticle(fixed)

Petre
    Nice looking rig!