Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

scmp

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    Finally got My XLR Element Chassis for my Model 10 FCP-SR. this thing is awesome. i never could get comfortable and fitted to the Accustock for bench rest shooting (my primary activity with this weapon). the chassis is very adjustable and it's easy to get it into the same position for every shot. the 10 is shooting very well after some headaches ie, the EGW HD scope rail kept coming loose (the two front screws) even after being blue loctited twice. i red loctited that sucker on and now it's fine. also my Millet scope rings were allowing some movement of the scope despite being torqued to spec ?????!!!!!!, so i added the Vortex matched precision set of rings and now that is fine as well.

the gun shoots better than me. getting into hand loading, and now i have seen some .33 to .50 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. i even have had a couple of .25 inch 4 shot groups as well. usually i average around .66 to .75 inch groups, all with 168 gr Sierra Matchkings or 168 gr Hornady Amax loads. still working on load development for both rounds, though.

i really like this weapon. paid $625 upfront for the rifle and the XLR chassis added another $750 or so. highly recommend the XLR. the chassis came in under three weeks and they are great to deal with. fit and finish is very nice.

I really like this setup. Can you please tell me what muzzle brake is installed and how do you like it? It appears to fit the barrel profile just right. What model is it, 20" or 24" barrel?

Thank you
    Last edited by scmp; 09-02-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by PaShooter View Post
    Hello all! First post here. I am considering the 10 fcp-sr models 22442 or 22441. Am i correct that if I bought one of these rifles and added the accurate mag bottom metal and 20 moa base it would basically be the same rifle (minus the digital camo of course) as the 2013 model?
    I doubt the muzzle threading on the 2013 models was as bad as this. But maybe only mine were cut with a potato as a lathe bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PaShooter View Post
    also to anyone who owns this rifle would you recommend the 20" or 24" barrel. I do mostly target steel shooting. I was thinking about the 20" because I may add a suppressor in the future and didn't want a really long OAL barrel.

thanks everyone
    I've migrated to a 24" barrel on everything because faster means easier. My Savage is a 20" barrel, and with a 9.5" suppressor, barely fits in all of my rifle cases. My 24" guns do not and I have to take the cans on and off for travel. HOWEVER, if the Savage accustock was not made with midget LOP, it wouldn't fit with the can on either. There's like 1 inch of space. So the moment I swap to a chassis or decent stock, it won't be an advantage anymore.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scmp View Post
    I really like this setup. Can you please tell me what muzzle brake is installed and how do you like it? It appears to fit the barrel profile just right. What model is it, 20" or 24" barrel?

Thank you
    This is a 24" barrel. the muzzle brake is a Midwest Industries 5/8-24 threaded one. It is doing it's job of recoil reduction just fine. you can get this brake direct from Midwest Industries. I think it is still only $30

Basic Member

my fcp-sr magazine

My experience has been different from what's posted in this thread :
    I recently purchased a savage 10 fcp-sr , 24 inch barrel, accustock.
    The magazine that came with the gun feeds 10 rounds no problem, locks into place, no rattles. The 10th round sit a bit high in the mag but doesn't budge.
    There is one interesting problem: If the bolt is closed while you insert the magazine(doesn't matter how many rounds are in the mag), only the first round will feed when you rock the bolt; the bolt will go over the following rounds unless you remove the mag and put it back. When i say"put it back'', i literally mean just remove the mag and put it right away without a need to jerk it or hit it.

tallan87
    Just picked up one of these and my magazine doesn't hold 10 either.

Basic Member
    The new Savage magazines used in the FCP / FLCP absolutely suck!

My FLCP is accurate (that's why i still have it) but come on Savage, my axis costs half of what i paid for the FLCP, is just as accurate after i put it in a Boyds stock, holds its advertised 5 rounds and actually feeds reliable.

You guys just screwed up with the magazine on this model, and so far i have seen zero effort made to correct the crap that you're sending to your customers.

chanerz
    Hey guys! I just picked one up. I do agree that the magazine do suck! This is a bench gun so I kinda don't care. I load round by round when I shoot precision rifles.

Powerstroke
    Hi all new to the form. Just picked up a new one and seems like a nice gun but would love to change out the stock ... Just seems a little cheap in the butt end. I did read all the post and great info for sure but hope I dont regret my purchase. I am running the Burris eliminator 3 scope and have a silencerco omega one the way. Would love to see pictures of some guns with a different stock. Thanks

Powerstroke
    So been looking at stocks today but very confused on what will fit..any help would be great..only see one that has been replaced on here..thanks again

Basic Member
    ^^^look for a stock that is inlet for a center feed short action with detachable box magazine.

Powerstroke
    Ok thanks .. Do you think its worth changing out the factory stock? Just seems cheap as heck. Guess I can fill that void in the butt with something..now that is funny

Basic Member
    I dont think there is anything you can do to significantly improve the factory stock. Many have tried a thousand diferent "fixes" and it still sucks because the flex in the pistolgrip or recoil lug area cannot be fixed. Shoot it like it is or replace with boyds stock ( cheap but effective if you are willing to bed and pillar yourself) or maybe Bell and Carlson or the like.

Powerstroke
    Thanks for the info.. Looking at Choate stocks and have some questions.. Center feed? Staggered feed?? Screw spacing looks to be 4.4 . ? Sorry for all the questions..new to bolt gun platform.

Basic Member
    Savage has made a few different varieties of short actions over the years. One is not necessarily better than another, but when buying a stock, you need to know what type you have so as to get the stock that is already inletted properly for it and has the screw spacing set up properly for it.

THis article in the FAQ section of this forum explains the different actions and what to look for. http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths

Once you know what you have, then you can get the stock that will fit your action. Don't look for stocks that fit certain models such as "FCNS" or "Hog Hunter" or "Trophy Predator Hunter" or whatever they want to call various configurations that the marketing department calls them. Look for stocks that fit what is described in the above article and specific type of magazine system described in other articles in the FAQ section.

Powerstroke
    Ok so I measured my screw locations and looks to me it was 4.5" but guess it could be 4.4" for sure. Has anyone ordered a upgraded stock and if so can they provide any info. Just don't want to order the wrong one. Thanks so much

4.4" Short action screw spacing, LH or RH bolt, center feed detachable box magazine and heavy barrel contour is all you need to know to order a stock
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Powerstroke
    Thank you ....Thank you...

Basic Member
    Come on, Jim. You're getting soft in your old age.
    I was trying to make him "earn it".

Sorry, Powerstroke, sometimes when I am asked what time it is, I start to explain how the clock works. Don't realize it until my wife or somebody more aware stops me. :)

Powerstroke
    I hear ya on that. I am going to try and get something ordered tomorrow for sure..just crazy how many different styles of stocks out there.. I did get some good news for Savage today. I ordered a nice 22mag for my son to match my gun and when it came in the barrel was not fluted as shown on the savage site. I called savage and they said that the picture was wrong on the site. They are going to flute it for free and cover shipping so he will have a custom little gun...Now that's great customer service for sure.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    4.4" Short action screw spacing, LH or RH bolt, center feed detachable box magazine and heavy barrel contour is all you need to know to order a stock
    One more thing... It's top bolt release.

Powerstroke
    Thanks...what stocks are you guys running?

Basic Member
    Lots of different stocks. Lots of different purposes. Boyds makes cheap, inexpensive but workable laminates. B&C makes much better stocks with aluminum bedding, etc. THat's all I know.

Powerstroke
    I have the Boyds on my sons 22mag...not bad

Basic Member
    Boyd's aren't bad for the $$$, I run several of them, but my 10FCP wears an HS precision stock so I can't comment how well they work on the 10FCP.

Powerstroke
    Nice 22's my son and I have a few and they are great guns.. What glass are you using on them?

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast