Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

dirtrider

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    I just got off the phone with savage earlier. They said 2 weeks with improved magazine. Little stores will still have a hard time getting them he said. He also said they have a "special" relationship with cabelas and will satisfy them first. Not fair, I want to do business with my little sport shop.
    Great news. I really hope it is just 2 weeks. Thank you for the update. I'm sure your local store will be able to easily get some as soon as the distribution channels fill up again. The manufacturing delay is the big thing.

Philspils
    I picked up the accustock version from Tooele couple months back, Had trouble with the mag and talked to savage about it, at the time the mag was back ordered, but it showed up here about a week ago. invoice showed the part # for the mag as 'new spring' Havent tried it out yet, but atleast production should be up and going again. Of the 50rds I have through mine, it is a .5 moa gun.

dirtrider
    Just ordered one from Tooele. They had 6 come in the past week and sold out in short order. Hopefully all new models with the updates....whatever they are. If it's just a magazine spring then that's good for the rest of you since that can be easily changed. With the rebate it sounds like quite a deal.

Im probably going to put a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 on it.

Philspils- did you have to get a scope rail? If so what did you get?

nickr917
    Can anyone clarify for me the difference between the 10FCP-SR sold by Cabela's and 10FCP-SR you might buy anywhere else (if you can find them that is)? As far as I can tell the only difference is the price, which I assume is lower at Cabela's due to volume discounts.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickr917 View Post
    Can anyone clarify for me the difference between the 10FCP-SR sold by Cabela's and 10FCP-SR you might buy anywhere else (if you can find them that is)? As far as I can tell the only difference is the price, which I assume is lower at Cabela's due to volume discounts.

Some of the Cabelas models do not have the accustock. 22441 is the number you need to know, accutrigger and accustock. Look at the numbers on the Savage website before you shop.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    question from a new to Savage guy. my 2015 model 10 FCP-SR, it obviously is a detachable mag (mag release not on the mag itself) and is it also "centerfeed"? (mag is attached to the stock, not the action, right?) i am looking at some aftermarket stocks like the Choate, but I am confused on which type will drop fit this rifle. they have ones that fit detachable mag models and separate models for centerfeed rifles. also any recommendations on good aftermarket stocks would be appreciated.

well, i bit the bullet and ordered a XLR Element chassis for my FCP-SR. i just could never get comfortable and fitted to the stock Accustock when used off the bench with front and rear rests. I have read nothing but good things about XLR industries chassis systems, so i have i hopes for this one

Philspils
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider View Post
    Philspils- did you have to get a scope rail? If so what did you get?
    Mine came with the rail, haven't tried out the new mag yet, still kind thinking the gun is too big for prairie dogs. If you crank the accutrigger all the way out it is too soft, just dragging the side of your finger while pulling in the safety tang will safety the trigger out. Screwed it in a turn or two and its still under 2lbs and no more recharging the trigger.

Basic Member
    I really do wish I'd joined this forum before I bought my Model 10 FCP-SR in .308. Even though the dealer's photo showed the rifle with the rail, mine didn't have one, it also had the Savage bottom metal and half plastic, half metal magazine. The stock is just flimsy, so I'm pretty sure it's not the accu-stock. I bought a 20 MOA rail and mounted it, then mounted and bore sighted a Vortex Viper 6.5-25 X 50 scope. Took it to the range with some loads for a ladder test. The gun would shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards with 44.5 grains of IMR 4064 under 168 Grain Sierra Match Kings. I wound up feeding the rifle single shot as the Savage magazine would fail to feed or just fall out of the rifle while shooting. I ordered the bottom metal from Accurate Mag. I believe it's the bottom metal that was on the good FCP-SR. The bottom metal comes with a 10 round magazine, but I ordered an extra magazine. The bottom metal was a drop in, though it did require longer action screws, so I made a trip to the local hardware store. I also had to use the original trigger guard as it has a cutout that affects the bolt release. The rifle now feeds just fine and the magazine doesn't fall out anymore.

Next project is a B&C stock, probably the M40 style stock. Sort of what I'm used to shooting.

I have to say that the trigger on this rifle is superb, easily as good as the Timney triggers on my Remington model 700s.

I'm really disappointed that I have to spend so much money to get a rifle I want. Then again, I bought it so I could play with it to see how good a shooter I could build. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    The stock is just flimsy, so I'm pretty sure it's not the accu-stock.
    Duh, take a good look at it. You can see the aluminum bedding on an AccuStock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Duh, take a good look at it. You can see the aluminum bedding on an AccuStock.
    Now why didn't I think of that.
    Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk; 06-07-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Even though the dealer's photo showed the rifle with the rail, mine didn't have one...
    Something's wrong here... Did you buy it used? It should've come with the rail.

Basic Member
    Nope, brand new in the box from Cabela's.

I had the same thing happen with a brand new 10TR a couple years ago.

Email or call Savage and they'll send you a scope rail free of charge.

Basic Member
    Figured it was on me for not double checking the rifle before getting it home. Already have a rail installed and scope mounted.

tharival
    I have one of the original LE fcp-sr rifles and love it, although I have never been thrilled about the digital camo pattern.

When I saw the new ones I said too myself "what the hell did they do, this is no where near the same rifle."

I paid almost $1000 for mine new several years ago. I am wanting to get the bolt fluted and thinking about getting a chassis for it. Sorry to hear you have had bad luck with these new ones.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    well, i bit the bullet and ordered a XLR Element chassis for my FCP-SR. i just could never get comfortable and fitted to the stock Accustock when used off the bench with front and rear rests. I have read nothing but good things about XLR industries chassis systems, so i have i hopes for this one

Finally got My XLR Element Chassis for my Model 10 FCP-SR. this thing is awesome. i never could get comfortable and fitted to the Accustock for bench rest shooting (my primary activity with this weapon). the chassis is very adjustable and it's easy to get it into the same position for every shot. the 10 is shooting very well after some headaches ie, the EGW HD scope rail kept coming loose (the two front screws) even after being blue loctited twice. i red loctited that sucker on and now it's fine. also my Millet scope rings were allowing some movement of the scope despite being torqued to spec ?????!!!!!!, so i added the Vortex matched precision set of rings and now that is fine as well.

the gun shoots better than me. getting into hand loading, and now i have seen some .33 to .50 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. i even have had a couple of .25 inch 4 shot groups as well. usually i average around .66 to .75 inch groups, all with 168 gr Sierra Matchkings or 168 gr Hornady Amax loads. still working on load development for both rounds, though.

i really like this weapon. paid $625 upfront for the rifle and the XLR chassis added another $750 or so. highly recommend the XLR. the chassis came in under three weeks and they are great to deal with. fit and finish is very nice.

Last edited by swadiver; 06-30-2015 at 08:15 AM.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    I discovered it runs best if I run the bolt with my thumb on the left side and fingers along the handle.
    I also discovered you can remove a chunk of your thumb by running the bolt like this and put some red into your camo pattern that dries into a crusty brown.

jwhy383
    Gentlemen,

Of course I stumbled across this post after I ordered my FCP-SR (sku #22441) like some of the guys I see on here. After a week of agony and waiting on UPS, my gun finally arrived a few days ago and I had it to the range today. Like most everyone else, my magazine sucks and the threads look a little bashed up on the barrel (I think the thread protector is to blame actually), but after a session at the range, I'm loving the rifle.

As this is my first savage, I will have to get used to the accu-trigger, but this is at least a 1/2 MOA gun for sure. I've got no issue with the accu-stock for the price of the gun. My rifle also came with a rail installed.

Dialed the gun in with 3 rounds. Can't wait for my next range trip. I've heard a few guys saying their rifles liked 168 gr - mine seemed to prefer the 150 gr Hornady SST.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=jwhy383;327097]Gentlemen,

Of course I stumbled across this post after I ordered my FCP-SR (sku #22441) like some of the guys I see on here. After a week of agony and waiting on UPS, my gun finally arrived a few days ago and I had it to the range today. Like most everyone else, my magazine sucks and the threads look a little bashed up on the barrel (I think the thread protector is to blame actually), but after a session at the range, I'm loving the rifle.

As this is my first savage, I will have to get used to the accu-trigger, but this is at least a 1/2 MOA gun for sure. I've got no issue with the accu-stock for the price of the gun. My rifle also came with a rail installed.

Dialed the gun in with 3 rounds. Can't wait for my next range trip. I've heard a few guys saying their rifles liked 168 gr - mine seemed to prefer the 150 gr Hornady SST.[/QUOTE

try the 155 gr Hornady Amax if you are reloading. sweet

jwhy383
    I'll be sure to give them, um, a shot! Thanks for the recommendation.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=swadiver;327119]
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhy383 View Post
    Gentlemen,

Dialed the gun in with 3 rounds. Can't wait for my next range trip. I've heard a few guys saying their rifles liked 168 gr - mine seemed to prefer the 150 gr Hornady SST.[/QUOT

How is the magazine treating you? Can you load all ten? What's the serial number on the mag?

try the 155 gr Hornady Amax if you are reloading. sweet

How is the magazine treating you? Can you load all ten? What's the serial number on the mag?

jwhy383
    The magazine sn is 110307. I'd call it a 9ish rounder. I can get the tenth in, but it doesn't stay in proper position. The mag lips aren't really strong enough to hold the 10th round in place with the spring pressure fighting it. I know you definitely aren't getting it into the gun with a closed bolt and 10 rounds in it. I think it would be fine on an open bolt and most likely feed the out of position 10th round just fine. Maybe not. I didn't try it yet.

I think my first upgrade will be AI bottom metal and leave this whole magazine issue behind.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhy383 View Post
    The magazine sn is 110307. I'd call it a 9ish rounder. I can get the tenth in, but it doesn't stay in proper position. The mag lips aren't really strong enough to hold the 10th round in place with the spring pressure fighting it. I know you definitely aren't getting it into the gun with a closed bolt and 10 rounds in it. I think it would be fine on an open bolt and most likely feed the out of position 10th round just fine. Maybe not. I didn't try it yet.

I think my first upgrade will be AI bottom metal and leave this whole magazine issue behind.
    Makes me mad I'm not getting what's advertised. I called them, they said there was a bad run of those mags. They apologized and sent me a new one. Ended up being the same mag, same number. I'll be calling them in the morning, I would hope you will too, the more calls the better.

PaShooter
    Hello all! First post here. I am considering the 10 fcp-sr models 22442 or 22441. Am i correct that if I bought one of these rifles and added the accurate mag bottom metal and 20 moa base it would basically be the same rifle (minus the digital camo of course) as the 2013 model?

also to anyone who owns this rifle would you recommend the 20" or 24" barrel. I do mostly target steel shooting. I was thinking about the 20" because I may add a suppressor in the future and didn't want a really long OAL barrel.

thanks everyone

Every company in the states is either owned or will be owned by a wall street holding company. If you think quality is on their mind you are mistaken.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast