Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

BigDave

Quote Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
    For those who end up buying the Accurate Mag bottom metal, might as well throw the screws away because one is too long, the other too short.

I ordered some replacement screws from Bolt Depot instead. These are the ones I ordered:
    Product #8300 - front
    Product #8303 - rear
    Shipping is reasonable and very fast. You don't need to cut any screws anymore!

Of course the stock screw (closest screw to buttstock) is just fine.
    That isn't right! Thank you your community service post. That is what this forum is all about. I have a Savage installed Accurate Mag bottom metal, so I am OK. But I DID book mark bolt depot site. Man, that is one excellent site. Looks a lot easier to navigate than McMasters. Good find. I can't thank you enough!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    my stock 10 rd mag seems to be feeding better with useage on it. also, getting it seated properly is a little tricky but makes a big difference how it feeds. for my purposes, slow fire from the bench, it will do, for now. eventually, i would rather put the $200 for a bottom metal and mag upgrade towards a chassis, maybe.
    i have about 250 rounds through my 2015 savage model 10 fcp-sr in 308 and the mag that come with the gun has performed flawlessly. i usually load to 8, which is plenty for me, and i also find that the mag is easy to load; much easier than an m1a mag for instance. i have found the gun itself to be awesome. i run a nikon prostaff 5 on it and it has been exceptionally accurate with all types of ammo.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by miscverb View Post
    i have about 250 rounds through my 2015 savage model 10 fcp-sr in 308 and the mag that come with the gun has performed flawlessly. i usually load to 8, which is plenty for me, and i also find that the mag is easy to load; much easier than an m1a mag for instance. i have found the gun itself to be awesome. i run a nikon prostaff 5 on it and it has been exceptionally accurate with all types of ammo.
    Yes, but many (most?) of us feel cheated if we can not utilize the full advertised capacity of any mag. How are the mags doing now filled to the advertised capacity of 10? Is there any cheaper aftermarket mag than the $100 Dark Eagle which is often out of stock?
    Hopefully Savage has or will address their new double stack mag issues. The cost of a Savage mag (if it works OK with 10 rounds) is how much? Less than $100, I am sure.

Nobody ( AFAIK) with single stack AICS mags has any issues loading 10.

My .223 Magpul mags take precisely 30 rounds. I never have had any issue that would ever make me want to load 29 or 28 rounds.
    The point is that Magpul advertizes 30 round capacity and AICS says 10 round capacity for their respective mags and they both deliver...pretty much 100% of the time. OK, maybe 99.99% of the time. :)

Are owners still NOT buying Savage double stack mags as spares? Are most owners forking out the big $$ still for the Dark Eagle?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Yes, but many (most?) of us feel cheated if we can not utilize the full advertised capacity of any mag. How are the mags doing now filled to the advertised capacity of 10? Is there any cheaper aftermarket mag than the $100 Dark Eagle which is often out of stock?
    Hopefully Savage has or will address their new double stack mag issues. The cost of a Savage mag (if it works OK with 10 rounds) is how much? Less than $100, I am sure.

Nobody ( AFAIK) with single stack AICS mags has any issues loading 10.

My .223 Magpul mags take precisely 30 rounds. I never have had any issue that would ever make me want to load 29 or 28 rounds.
    The point is that Magpul advertizes 30 round capacity and AICS says 10 round capacity for their respective mags and they both deliver...pretty much 100% of the time. OK, maybe 99.99% of the time. :)

Are owners still NOT buying Savage double stack mags as spares? Are most owners forking out the big $$ still for the Dark Eagle?

i have 3 savage mags, yes i have bought them as spares (about $58) and two darkeagle's as well. when i started reading the thread i thought the factory mags were going to be super junk. i have not found that to be the case in my experience running 8 or 10.
    Last edited by miscverb; 03-22-2015 at 07:47 PM.

BigDave
    I think many of the early ones were junk. Apparntly Savage as done some mods and/or QC to help solve the mag issue. Nice to hear things are improving. The 10 FCP-SR can be Savages best gun for guys wanting 10 rounds with out having to buy a new bottom metal. But the magazine must be good or the whole concept falls on its face.
    Why did you spend almost double the $$ for two Dark Eagle mags if the Savage OEM were doing so well? Thats 200 bux! Just curious.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I think many of the early ones were junk. Apparntly Savage as done some mods and/or QC to help solve the mag issue. Nice to hear things are improving. The 10 FCP-SR can be Savages best gun for guys wanting 10 rounds with out having to buy a new bottom metal. But the magazine must be good or the whole concept falls on its face.
    Why did you spend almost double the $$ for two Dark Eagle mags if the Savage OEM were doing so well? Thats 200 bux! Just curious.
    Variety, and my son is probably going to pick a 10 FCP as well. I also run pmag, tapco, gi, circle 10, promag, etc. on my other guns too.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by miscverb View Post
    Variety, and my son is probably going to pick a 10 FCP as well. I also run pmag, tapco, gi, circle 10, promag, etc. on my other guns too.
    I hear you on variety. But when I find something at a good price point I dont bother to try and diversify any more.
    I am feeling out AICS single stack alternatives right now for my Gen 1 10 FCP-SR.
    I bought a poly AICS style mag from MDT. Should fit my Accurate Mag bottom metal. I like it for being cheaper though...plus its in FDE which I prefer.

MotorOilMcCall
    Does anyone have a PN for the Savage 10rd mag? I can't find them anywhere... Its gotta be cheaper than the DEC mags, and I'm sure with some filing and dremel work it'll be just as reliable. After all, they are the same top metal, just a different follower/spring, and lower box.

K9-1

can any tell me if production has stopped on this rifle.

I ordered one and it seems there are a lot of design flaws ,so does any one know if the Qc is working on them

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-1 View Post
    I ordered one and it seems there are a lot of design flaws ,so does any one know if the Qc is working on them
    What design flaws? Of the whole rifle or just the magazine?
    I was afraid of that.

My Gen 1, discontinued version is fault free so far. I adore it.

Basic Member
    Well, i talked to Savage today. wanted to inquire as to how to get the target version of the Accutrigger for my 10 FCP-SR. i like the standard Accutrigger, but after shooting my buddy's Remington 700 wih his Timney trigger at about a 12 oz pull weight, i wanted to get something like that. Savage told me that they would not sell the target version of the Accutrigger to me or a gunsmith. period. they said it was for "target actions" only.

i think that is a crock.

so, do I have any other options to get the pull weight down below the minimum (1.5 lbs, I believe) ? i have it set as low as it goes without doing any mods. are there any aftermarket options like what is available for the Remington? Timney triggers for the Savage i believe go no lower than 1.5 lbs pull. is this correct? i know you can buy the target Accutrigger spring separately, but does this lower the pull weight below what the standard Accutrigger already can do?

any help appreciated

Basic Member
    The Target Accutrigger has a different sear and trigger engagement that allows for the lighter than 1.5 lb pull. Using standard or Varmint Accutrigger with a lighter than 1.5 lb spring does not work... it will only slip on you do to the fact the sear and trigger need that heavy spring tension to remain engaged or not fall when closing hard, etc. So, a lighter spring will not help. I mean, it might... I have some Accutriggers that are less than 1.5 lbs, but they do slip sometimes and they are not safe for anything but very controlled range sessions. It gets aggravating, too, when it slips, even though it won't necessarily fire due to the safety blade. If I were you, I'd sell the one you have and look at the Rifle Basix Sav-2. (assuming it is a top bolt release action).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    The Target Accutrigger has a different sear and trigger engagement that allows for the lighter than 1.5 lb pull. Using standard or Varmint Accutrigger with a lighter than 1.5 lb spring does not work... it will only slip on you do to the fact the sear and trigger need that heavy spring tension to remain engaged or not fall when closing hard, etc. So, a lighter spring will not help. I mean, it might... I have some Accutriggers that are less than 1.5 lbs, but they do slip sometimes and they are not safe for anything but very controlled range sessions. It gets aggravating, too, when it slips, even though it won't necessarily fire due to the safety blade. If I were you, I'd sell the one you have and look at the Rifle Basix Sav-2. (assuming it is a top bolt release action).
    thanks for all the info. going on Rifle Basix website indicates that SAV-2 model is NOT for Accustock models, which is what i have. i do have a top bolt release action. the other trigger, the SAV-1, apparently will work but does not adjust to the sub 16 oz levels, so it is similar to the standard Accutrigger. i guess i am stuck at this point until the day comes when i decide go with an aftermarket stock or chassis system for the rifle.
    Last edited by swadiver; 03-31-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Neoloki

Letter to Savage Arms about the Cabela's FCP-SR

Lori,

First let me say Thank you for the reply, I did not expect one.

The link you sent me from Cabela's website is the updated version after mine and the complaints of others. The description of the retailer specific FCP-SR Model 10 previous to 01/15/2015 did not state that it is a Non-Accustock rifle. The purchase date of my rifle was 12/26/2014.

The response they gave me is very much like yours, buyer beware and there is nothing that can be done now that the firearms has been transferred to you.
    I hope that you reviewed the forum post I linked for you and realize that I am not the only Savage Arms customer dissatisfied with the purchase my FCP-SR and lack of constancy in the Savage Arms catalog. I think it would in your best interest as a organization to review this issue with your upper management. From a customer perspective I have some suggestions to resolve future issues.

1. Do not allow retailers to use standard Savage Arms designations for custom built retailer specific rifles. (FCP-SR)
    2. Force re-branding of retailer specific rifles. (Retailer's Model 10 by Savage Arms)
    3. Make information available on your website for retailer specific builds (My S/N returns not information)
    4. Simplify your Catalog and Rifle designations by adding more detail and not recycling them.

Like I said in my previous note Savage Arms produces some the best shooting and feature rich firearms in the United States, but is a shame that a buyer can not confirm even by S/N what they are buying.

I plan to make your response to my concerns and dissatisfaction along with this note public on the Savageshooters.com Forum.

Sincerely,

"Remember the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other." - Unknown

From: "Lori Paradis (Savage Arms, Inc)" <support@savagearms.zendesk.com>
    To:
    Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:34 PM
    Subject: [Savage Arms, Inc] Re: Disappointed with my Purchase

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (#71635) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email or click the link below:
    https://savagearms.zendesk.com/requests/71635

Lori Paradis (Savage Arms, Inc)
    Apr 2, 1:34 PM
    Good Afternoon Dennis,
    I apologize for your dissatisfaction. It is common for larger retailers such as Cabelas to offer different versions of our firearms. We don't display these exclusive products on our website because they are not offered anywhere else except for the requesting distributor. The literature provided by the seller should outline the features that are offered. For example, please view the Cabela's website:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...LE/1954769.uts
    If the Cabelas employee told you that they were selling you a firearm with an accustock, I would speak to their manager in person. Unfortunately, on our end there isn't anything that we can offer as a solution. I am sorry for the inconvenience.
    Thank You,
    Lori Paradis

Feb 2, 6:52 PM
    To at Savage Arms,
    I spent in excess of 15 hours researching the precision rifle I wanted to buy and decided on the Model 10 FCP-SR. So I shopped it and I shopped it, then headed to Cabelas. Told them what I wanted, paid, and drove home. The first thing I noticed was no AccuStock sticker and a different magazine, I figured that a Cabelas employee removed it by mistake and the mag was a newer version, so I broke the rifle down to adjust the trigger and discovered that it did not have an AccuStock!! I called Cabelas 2 hours after I left the store and they told me no returns on firearms, which is what I expected. So I call Savage Arms customer care, twice with the same result, we are sorry there is nothing we can do for you.
    Back to the internet I went, this time with more targeted searches and I found it is very common for buyers of Savage buyers to not always get the firearm they had intended.
    This is my 3rd Savage rifle and all 3 are great shooters other than the mag on my new FCP-SR (DBL stack is not good), so being the fixer that I am I learned how to bed an action and went to work. I reinforced the fore stock with a square 1/4" aluminum rod and epoxy, ensured the barrel was free floated, and bedded the action.
    Back to the range I went and there was an improvement in feel and grouping!!
    I hit the internet again and found this:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...s-been-changed
    I am not asking for anything as firearms are buyer beware, but I wanted to bring to your attention that your customers are not happy and I have bought my last firearm from your company.

This email is a service from Savage Arms, Inc. Savage Arms.

Basic Member
    Slimey, particular on the part of Cabelas. Savage should be more upfront about different versions at different retailers. I think i remember seeing in small print on the website page of their weapons that different versions are sold to some retailers. VERY small print, though. I would put most of the blame on Cabelas. don't think i will be giving them any of my business. many other choices out there.

Basic Member
    question from a new to Savage guy. my 2015 model 10 FCP-SR, it obviously is a detachable mag (mag release not on the mag itself) and is it also "centerfeed"? (mag is attached to the stock, not the action, right?) i am looking at some aftermarket stocks like the Choate, but I am confused on which type will drop fit this rifle. they have ones that fit detachable mag models and separate models for centerfeed rifles. also any recommendations on good aftermarket stocks would be appreciated.

The Choate Tactical you would want is the 4.4" short action detach mag, 25-06-01.

The new Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist, sku 1014 (since the new FCP-SR is top bolt release), will also be a drop-in for your barreled action and bottom metal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    The Choate Tactical you would want is the 4.4" short action detach mag, 25-06-01.

The new Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist, sku 1014 (since the new FCP-SR is top bolt release), will also be a drop-in for your barreled action and bottom metal.

thank you much! any opinion on the better stock?

dirtrider
    I've been watching this thread for the past month or two. I usually purchase from Cabelas and was watching the web page updates. Did they update it again because I noticed a week or two ago it says NEW! and AccuStock in the title and description? The old non-AccuStock link no longer shows up if you search for 10 FCP-SR, however, the direct link is still accessible. Unfortunately no stores have any 10 FCP-SRs except for perhaps Alaska and those aren't available to be relocated.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savag...le/1969842.uts

Does anyone happen to know what is going on with stock on the 10 FCP-SR? I can't find them anywhere even online. I'd really like to get in on the rebate by the end of May and that works out perfectly for a law enforcement sniper class I have beginning of June. I'd rather not buy another remington 700 with dubious quality I'm hearing of lately plus I'd like to try that AccuTrigger too.

psode27
    Just an update. My setup was pretty weak my first range day, but you gotta do what you gotta do! I have a PST on the way, but it wasnt in yet, so I used a simmons white tail on extra high AR 1" rings because its all I had. My floating cheek weld proved difficult, but had touching rounds at 50yds. Thinking that would be good enough to get on paper, we went out to 200yds. First shot was on paper, second on paper, they were both left so I adjusted my scope. 2 clicks later, I was off paper and never saw my shots again. I didnt fiddle with it after that. I think the scope is crap, and there was so much compromise with the setup it was just a waste of time. I was setting up another rifle that day so I just packed it up. This was shooting the cheapest silver bear 308 I owned btw...
    Rifle was mostly shot at 50yds, which isnt that impressive I realize but was a blast to shoot. My mag was loaded to 10 several times and was flawless. Hopefully I lucked out and all will be good with the magazine! The latch is a bit finicky, but I would put that more on the user than the rifle. I am pumped to put my PST/seekins rings on it and actually get it dialed in for real with good ammo!
    My rifle is the 24" variant with the Acustock/Acutrigger. Its also my first real precision rifle and first Savage.

ryans658
    Hi everyone, was wandering through one of my local gun shops and saw a new "old" 10 FCP-SR. The downside is they charge $1199 , but might have more than the 1 in the case. I've put 800 rounds through mine and she is a beaut. Cheers!

$1199 ain't bad for NOS/NIB "the real deal" 10FCP-SR. Most "used" are going for that....if you can find one.
    Just curious....what's the S/N on your purchase ?
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

Here's my Sav 10 FCP-SR S/N J121378 purchased in 2013.
    KK

[B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

ryans658
    Mine was purchased in Sep. 2013 with S/N 117147. The one at Franklin Gun Shop(franklin, TN), which is still in their case, was there before I purchased mine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider View Post
    I've been watching this thread for the past month or two. I usually purchase from Cabelas and was watching the web page updates. Did they update it again because I noticed a week or two ago it says NEW! and AccuStock in the title and description? The old non-AccuStock link no longer shows up if you search for 10 FCP-SR, however, the direct link is still accessible. Unfortunately no stores have any 10 FCP-SRs except for perhaps Alaska and those aren't available to be relocated.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savag...le/1969842.uts

Does anyone happen to know what is going on with stock on the 10 FCP-SR? I can't find them anywhere even online. I'd really like to get in on the rebate by the end of May and that works out perfectly for a law enforcement sniper class I have beginning of June. I'd rather not buy another remington 700 with dubious quality I'm hearing of lately plus I'd like to try that AccuTrigger too.

I just got off the phone with savage earlier. They said 2 weeks with improved magazine. Little stores will still have a hard time getting them he said. He also said they have a "special" relationship with cabelas and will satisfy them first. Not fair, I want to do business with my little sport shop.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast