front rest to get..Getting geared up for
    some range work when the weather warms
    up..I want to get a nice front rest without
    having to take out a loan at the bank..
    Appreciate your suggestions...

Team Savage
    Check out the Bald Eagle front rest at Bullets.Com

http://drgreenlawmachining.com/

It won't break the bank but it is not cheap either. I bought one and my scores went up first time out. 1/3 of the price of the high end ones and IMO just as good. You can call him talk over your needs and wants and he will make it. He also did not want to be paid up front, emailed pics. when done then asked for payment and sent.
    Good guy to work with. I highly recommend him.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage
    hows about that cawldwell rock model ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    hows about that cawldwell rock model ?
    I would'nt even consider it.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    [QUOTE=sharpshooter;297307]I would'nt even consider it.....[/

you never have anything good to say about anything...Why is that?

JTCrl
    I've used the Caldwell Rock BR for several years. It's probably the cheapest "good" front rest available. I've also tried some costing 5 times as much. They are shiny. They Start conversations. Some make it easier to shoot well, some don't. It's important that the rest fits the forearm, it's mated to a good rear bag, and you learn how to position everything exactly the same way every time. The extra $800 or so you could invest in a rest might be better used for more ammo/practice.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=noname;297406]
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I would'nt even consider it.....[/

If there's nothing good to say about it, I'm not going to praise it. I've been shooting competition for over 30 years and I've figured out what is good enough, what is not, and what is over rated.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=noname;297406]
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I would'nt even consider it.....[/

Well read more carefully. I think most of those comments are with regard to poor quality products, and he calls them as he sees them.
    I mean a cheap scope is just that, a cheap scope. Why would a cheap rest be any different?

acemisser
    I suppose you are correct in that..

Quote Originally Posted by JTCrl View Post
    I've used the Caldwell Rock BR for several years. It's probably the cheapest "good" front rest available. I've also tried some costing 5 times as much. They are shiny. They Start conversations. Some make it easier to shoot well, some don't. It's important that the rest fits the forearm, it's mated to a good rear bag, and you learn how to position everything exactly the same way every time. The extra $800 or so you could invest in a rest might be better used for more ammo/practice.
    I'll go out on a limb here and second this. If this is all your budget will allow, by all means get it. I have two of them. They are most definitely not what you'd see on the benches at a true benchrest competition, but the OP never said anything about competition, either. They are at a level where, I'd say they are an entry-level "good" rest. They have some of the features that a higher-quality rest would have, like an adjustable fore-end stop, an integral level, and fine windage adjustments. They also have a feature that fine quality rests don't, that being cheap Chinese manufacturing tolerances. That being said, it is what it is. It's better than the cheap tripod rest from your local box store. It will not compare to a Hart, Sinclair, Greenlaw, etc. But if you are used to shooting off a sandbag front rest, or one of those cheap tripods, and this is all your budget will allow, then yes it will help you shoot a little better. Especially if you couple it with a high quality rear bag filled with heavy sand.
    If you do get one, I'd suggest the carrying case that's sold separately. Also the top screw for the head assembly on mine kept working loose and causing group-destroying wobble until I tightened it down and epoxied it in place. Now it's wobble-free.
    Like so many things in life, it all comes down to "What do I really NEED?, and How much do I want to spend?". I feel like this rest has a place somewhere in there, but in a different place for different people.

Basic Member
    So my ROCK JR. is....... not......... any.........good?........ Oh jesus I'm broke already...

If it helps you shoot better than you did before, then it's good for you and your situation. May or may not be the "best" for your situation. That's all I'm trying to say. No slams intended at all.

Basic Member
    Oh yeah I totally understand... I was just being funny also... I actually do use the ROCK JR. because thats what I can afford right now and it does help compared to sandbags with adjusting for the next shot... Which if I had a great setup there would be no adjusting I'm assuming.. Either way its all good... The joy is in the journey....

I shoot better of a Sinclair gen 3 bipod than a poorly designed front rest.

Team Savage
    I have to wonder if you even shoot....did I say that? I appreciate all of your replies...Now I have no
    idea what to do...Stay with my cross sticks I guess....

Basic Member
    The Bald Eagle is now out there at a DEEP discount. I don't know why the price was cut by more than 60%. No bags included.

I have a Greenlaw fully adjustable windage top and am extremely happy with it. Very well made and very responsive to even the most minor adjustments.

I was using a Caldwell BR rest. Adjustments were sloppy, the wheel always had lashback when locking down, putting pressure on one side of the forearm of the rifle. I did not like the bags on the top nor the screw down adjustments to have the rifle free recoil back and then slide forward.

One either gets what one can afford at the moment out of discretionary funds or waits.

Basic Member
    I got a Caldwell BR . My grandson and I both use and it works just fine for the money I spent. The legs are hollow, so I took some B-B's, epoxy and filled up the hollow part on all the legs. It added a surprisingly amount of weight and made it much more stable. The only bench shooting I do is when working up loads and sighting in and it's more than good enough for that. Just my 2 cents.
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    I have to wonder if you even shoot....did I say that? I appreciate all of your replies...Now I have no
    idea what to do...Stay with my cross sticks I guess....
    I dont think you ever stated what your intended use for the rest is.
    If its strictly for serious benchrest shooting at (targets), then listen to someone like Sharpshooter as to whats best.
    If its to be used for just casual bench shooting as in zeroing a gun, then sand bags or a bipod will suffice as will the cheaper front rests.
    For serious hunting from a bench,a bipod will work well and would be more flexable than a rest, but it isnt the best either. No one size fits all situations.

Basic Member
    For long range work i would consider a sinclair international F class bipod. ..its on sale right now

If your talking hunting with it go with a Harris or atlas.

justinf
    I have a "Cowan" rest, it's solid and affordable. Also all proceeds go to the school where they are made.

LongRange
    atlas has been SO talked up from snipers hide its not funny...save yourself a ton of money and buy a harris 6" to 9".

Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    For long range work i would consider a sinclair international F class bipod. ..its on sale right now

If your talking hunting with it go with a Harris or atlas.
    Thanks a lot, limige. You made me $226.94 poorer. 😳

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up. I've been eyeing these for a long time. Just needed a little prod...

Basic Member
    Me too, happy to have my first one! Looking forward to using it now.

Nice! I went with the silver finish as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast