Thread: 10/110 FCP Firing Pin Re-assembly

rolotomassi

10/110 FCP Firing Pin Re-assembly

Hi all,

I've got a 10/110 FCP chambered in 338LM and decided to replace the OEM spring with a Wolff Spring (32lb Long Action).

Admittedly I very foolishly did not take measurements prior to dissassembly and am at a loss about appropriate distances. Tried looking at thread below, but maybe I missed this information: does anyone have the correct distances from the tip of the firing pin to the firing pin stop nut and the correct length of the firing pin spring? I did somehow manage to put everything back together but can't shake the feeling it's incorrectly reassembled...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...tion-requested

Thank you all for your time and replies.

Basic Member
    Don't worry about the nut to tip length. Set the bolthead on the firing pin then adjust the nut for .030"-.035" protrusion.

After that adjust the cocking piece so the cocking piece pin has a few thousandths clearance at the bottom of the ramp or as close as the assembly ( cocking piece, sleeve, lock washer) will allow without making contact.

But why the 32# spring? In spite of all the claims all its going to do is increase the bolt lift, nothing more. The factory spring(25#?) it more than enough to ignite any primer and support the indentation. If it doesn't you have another problem(s).

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

rolotomassi
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Don't worry about the nut to tip length. Set the bolthead on the firing pin then adjust the nut for .030"-.035" protrusion.

After that adjust the cocking piece so the cocking piece pin has a few thousandths clearance at the bottom of the ramp or as close as the assembly ( cocking piece, sleeve, lock washer) will allow without making contact.

But why the 32# spring? In spite of all the claims all its going to do is increase the bolt lift, nothing more. The factory spring(25#?) it more than enough to ignite any primer and support the indentation. If it doesn't you have another problem(s).

Bill
    Thank you Sir! I eyeballed it but I think I got to about that much. Took it out to the range and I'm 10/10 and dimples on primers look on point (want to start reloading, still hurts that 10 rounds = ~$25 dollars). Though, I have a peculiar way of putting the bolt back into the rifle. Most videos have people screwing in that nut that secures the bolt handle prior to loading it into the rifle. I have to put the bolt in first and then screw in that nut.

In any event thanks for your time and help.