Hello everyone!

Found this forum while reading about 6mm wildcats last night and been doing a little reading today. Looks like I found a great place to read about wildcatting! Apache, if you're reading this, great looking family of wildcats you have! I look forward to hearing more about your -55 endeavors as I have a couple in mind for that cartridge as well.

Just a little background on me. I've been loading for about 3 years now. Started on 7.65 Argentine, then 280 Remington and just recently started loading for my SKS. I don't have the 280 anymore, had more punch on the shoulder than I care for. So far I've stuck to the book recipes, but I'm looking to branch out more and get into some wildcatting. To date I've been mostly an old military rifle guy, I love the old mausers. Three of my six children are very much into shooting (22 LR for now) and one of my sons has the potential to be a great shooter I think. None of the three are old enough to hunt yet (according to Iowa, have to be 12 and take a hunter's safety course before they can get their hunting license), but I'm getting ready to purchase a Savage Edge to start them on to be ready for hunting when they are old enough. Gonna start with a 243 and work them up from there. We have a 50 yrd pistol / 100 yrd rifle range about 20 min from our house, and my father-in-law has about 400 acres we can go shoot / hunt on. So plenty of opportunities to shoot.

So, now for my question. Have any of you chambered for any of the Redding SA cartridges, specifically 6.5 or 270? In looking at the drawings, the parent case is a 7mm-08. Shoulder on these are 30 deg vs the 20 deg on the 7mm-08, and they have an increased diameter of about .006 at the body / shoulder junction. My idea for these is more practical than scratching an itch. Theoretically, I could cover three chamberings with one type of brass. I also figure not as much kick which the kids will be better with.

Well, I look forward to hearing from you guys and learning from your experiences and knowledge.

Happy Shooting!
John