Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bullet manufacturer for .223 accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    I'm surprised that so far the gun does not like the 60 plus grain bullets. Kind of a surprise for a rifle that is supposed to have a 1-9 twist.
    After stabilizing the bullet, twist really has nothing to do with accuracy. I had a 1:8 twist that would shoot 5 shot groups sub 1/2 MOA with 55 grain bullets but 2 inches with 75 grainers. Turned out it would shoot the 69 SMKs well, roughly 10 inches at 950 yards. Give them a try.

Bed the action yourself. Just make sure you put release agent on it and give it a whirl.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Hey Jamie, I'm not done trying different bullet weights and powder charges just yet. I will say that I've tried many different weights because friends have given me bullets to try. So far the results have not been thrilling. The two groups on Sunday with the Varget have renewed hope. I'm going to clean the rifle tonight and deliver it to the gunsmith tomorrow. I don't have the time or patience to teach myself how to bed an action. I want it pillar and glass bedded and that is something I don't want to tackle. I'm looking forward to getting back a solidly bedded rifle. Thanks

Basic Member
    69gr matchkings over 24.7 of TAC. Very hard to beat.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    After having the action bedded and I floated the tang I finally got good groups with 55gr Nosler ballistic tips over 23gr of Varget. Also good groups with 23gr of Varget pushing Barnes 69gr HPBT match bullets. Today I bought a box of 70gr Berger VLDs. Looking forward to loading them up and giving it a try.

That is excellent news. It's great to hear you're getting good results.
    Good luck.

Basic Member
    55 VMAX. 69. SMK. over 26 gr Barger CCI 450 primer. Both loads shoot well in all my 223's. 75 AMAX. 24.3. VARGET. CCI 450

maxl
    Berger 73g target is my go to in all 3 of my 1x9 twist savages awesome accuracy, all three are a different receipe but one thing is consistant all 1/2moa with the 73g berger. I bought several thousand of them years ago when you could get them for .20 each I think there closer to .30 nowdays. Good luck and have fun finding the golden bullet.

Utah Shooter
    I have not read all the posts yet but I make a mean 52 gr FBHP.

Basic Member
    I've loaded some Berger 70 gr VLD's thirty thousands off the lands and the bullets won't feed into the chamber. The tip of the bullet catches on the bottom lip of the chamber and jams. Now I'm look for a cure for that problem so that I don't have to load them manually one at a time.

Basic Member
    I've had good luck with the Hornady match (built like matchking) bullets in the 52gr. Working on some loads now for heavier bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12