Thread: Stockade Sporter, Mule deer, or other???

mtlivin

Stockade Sporter, Mule deer, or other???

I already have an order in to Kevin for a finished Sporter stock to use with a new 7mm mag barrel. However, I still don't know if the sporter is the right stock for me. What i need is a stock that shoots well in prone position, more vertical grip than the B&C medalist, not too thick for me to carry one handed (I dont have giant mitts) and also works well off hand. I use a Kifaru gun sling do I don't really hold my rifle that much anymore, but still not a fan of fat feeling stocks. This wil be my go to mountain rifle for muleys and elk, i just wish i had a couple to wrap my hands around and know for sure. With the 6 month wait time I wont be able to get a different one easily if i decide the sporter is too "stock" felling for me. Any good pics of Stockades stocks might help me decide. That Manners EH-3 looks perfect, but for $700 it better be!

Thanks

Team Savage
    I have a Stockade Hunter on a Savage LA. My favorite Savage stock. Lighter than walnut or laminated stocks for a Savage. It has a flat bottom, narrow forearm instead of rounded like most hunting stocks. So it is easy to carry and also works well on the bench when working up loads. I think you will be very happy with it as a mountain rifle. The picture below shows a Savage 11 LWH 20" barrel compared to a Savage 111 7mm RM 24" sporter barrel in the Stockade hunter stock.

mtlivin
    Thanks jpdown, nice looking rifle too! Does anyone on here have experience with the Stockade Mule Deer stock? Im starting to lean that way for this rifle as I will also be using it to shoot long range quite a bit. I know, hard to have a mt rifle and a long range rifle, but the mule deer may fit the bill.