Thread: Decision time need help!!

Decision time need help!!

I am set and ready to start buying stuff for a build. Need help making my mind up. First is the chambering. I am leaning toward the 6.5 Creedmoor but also considering the 260 Rem. Convince me which to go with. I have heard if reloading go 260 if not go 6.5, true? Ok. Second is the action/donor gun. I have been able to find 11 trophy hunter XP Left Handed new for $480. Is their benefits to starting with an FLV or LRP or other? The scope, stock and barrel will almost immediately be sold. The trophy hunter XP is a bottom bolt release with a DBM, any drawbacks to this? Such as chassis later? Need your guy opinions!!!

JCalhoun
    I would run the .260 if It were me but it is what I already have experience with.

As for action, I'm a fan of the long actions as you can run the long cartridge if you ever need to and you will have plenty of room for the long bullets.

My limit is other than being left handed is that Mrees chassis and the XLR Element don't come in a LA.

The action will work great. You can also buy the lighter target accutrigger spring from northland or gunshack then you will have a really good trigger. I have a 260 and like it. You can always make brass for it from any of its sister cartridges. But, I have no knowledge on the creed more.

seanhagerty
    If you plan to reload, try the 260. If not, quality commercial ammo for the creed is cheaper and more plentiful.

Thanks for the input so far guys. What base action is best to start with?

Basic Member
    Be careful evaluating the value of the parts you plan to sell. The stock will get you $0. It also uses the "Axis" style DBM... Not much resale value. Depending on the cartridge, the barrel goes for about $50 shipped around here... The scope gets mixed reviews. Some say it's worth $90, some much less. If I were looking for a new action to build off of, I'd take a close look at the Hog Hunter in .308. Less expensive, but has a better top bolt release action, the barrel may go for $90-100 (shipped). Same Accutrigger. Or, look at the Cabela's exclusive model 11 in 22-250. $400. Blind mag, 22" light varmint contour barrel, top bolt release and steal trigger guard and slotted barrel nut. Nice looking rifle. Easier to swap out parts...

Don't get me wrong, Trophy Hunter is a decent package, when left alone and just used "as is", in factory configuration, but when looking to upgrade and sell-off parts, it can be tough.

Just my .02

Basic Member
    The one's I suggested above do not come left handed...

Here's a new lefty TH at a little better price though:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...kon-scope-LNIB
    Last edited by foxx; 01-02-2015 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EOD_GUY View Post
    I am set and ready to start buying stuff for a build. Need help making my mind up. First is the chambering. I am leaning toward the 6.5 Creedmoor but also considering the 260 Rem. Convince me which to go with. I have heard if reloading go 260 if not go 6.5, true? Ok. Second is the action/donor gun. I have been able to find 11 trophy hunter XP Left Handed new for $480. Is their benefits to starting with an FLV or LRP or other? The scope, stock and barrel will almost immediately be sold. The trophy hunter XP is a bottom bolt release with a DBM, any drawbacks to this? Such as chassis later? Need your guy opinions!!!
    paper puncher? hunting rifle?
    newbie from gr, mi.

steel blaster as far as I have access to and the occasional long field hunter.