Thread: .223 Hog Hunter SHTF build

randyhub

.223 Hog Hunter SHTF build

Well guys finished my Savage Hog Hunter tonight, so next will be the proof in the pudding to see how she shoots. I can only shoot out to 50 yards at the indoor range but will get outside and try it a 100 and 300 yards once it warms up. :)

My goal was to build a relatively accurate robust 300 yard gun that shared my AR ammo due to only wanting to carry 1 type of rifle platform ammo. I do not expect to shoot much past 300 yards as I just shoot gophers and paper, and even in a SHTF scenario I just cannot see chancing real long shots much more than 500 yards.

I am into this set up for under 700.00 as I had the scope. While the scope is higher than I like it will not be an issue as I like the option of being able to use the irons! The .223 option will allow for cheap practice shooting. My buddy’s 700 in .223 just did not move and I was able to observe hits on targets immediately due to low recoil so that sealed the .223 choice for me.

The Hog Hunter has heavy duty metal backup sights while I liked the Mossberg Patrol the new design bolt and the fragile back up sights concerned me. The see thru mounts, and a heavy matt finished barrel, with a poly stock, makes this no safe queen just a platform designed for rough use.

Thinning my herd to purpose built toys that share common ammo was painful it came down to why did I need a .308 for paper punching and gophers, but I do miss my .308 just couldn't rationalize carrying 2 types of ammo. Good thing is .223 is easy to find and easy to shoot, for me as running out of ammo will just leave you with an awkward rifle/club and I will never put myself in the open as there will always be a bigger gun and a better shot during a SHTF scenario. Still need QD scope rings.

Started like this:

Finished like this: :)

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/exvwJsv9j]

Nice!

Team Savage
    Looks great

Basic Member
    That's really awesome.