Thread: Savage Model 11 Cabelas Exclusive in .223

mann2jd

Savage Model 11 Cabelas Exclusive in .223

Hi everyone,

I received a savage model 11 prairie dog (cabelas exclusive) as a Christmas gift and was hoping to get some suggestions on next steps (stock, sights, ect). It is a short action chambered in .223 rem and has a matte-blued 22'' heavy barrel with a 1''-9'' twist and 4 round internal magazine. The bolt release is located on the right hand side of the rifle.

There is a range near my house which extends out too 600 yards and has competitions about twice a month. I plan on primarily using the rifle for competing however would like to take it out prairie dog hunting eventually.

I was hoping to get some advice on upgrading the stock and suggestions on scopes. I have about $300 in bass pro shops gift cards and plan on purchasing the scope from there. My budget for the scope is $800 including gift cards and I am currently leaning towards the vortex pst coming in around $750.

Pics below and thanks for any feedback!

Update to post (6/22/2015)
    I wanted to swing back around and give a quick update. I went with a viper vortex pst SFP from Bass Pro Shops which came in around $750. Unfortunately it was on backorder for about 2 months before I finally got a hold of a manager who allowed me to get the next higher up version (ffP) which was in stock and comes in around $950. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, but will be sure to post results when I do. Next step after this is to get my hands on a decent stock.

Last edited by mann2jd; 06-22-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added scope

nice rifle hopes it shoots as good as it looks.....

Basic Member
    With an 800 dollar budget for glass i would go for a Sightron Slll 8-32 power instead of the Vortex. Just a better scope in my opinion.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

mann2jd
    Thanks! I hope to get it out to the range in the next few months and will follow up with an accuracy report. I was unable to find any other posts reporting the accuracy of this rifle.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like bass pro shops carrier Sightron Scopes on their website. Any other recommendations based on the link?

Thanks again for the reply!

Since your main use will be competition, I would take a look at a weaver t series. I bought a t-36 second hand on accurate shooters classified section. I had similar goals for use when I bought my 12 fv. It is fixed power and tracks and maintains zero like a champ. You can probably get one for around $300 to $400 so with the money you save, you could by a nice stock, ammo, or reloading supplies. Nice rifle by the way.

AA

Basic Member
    +1 on t-36, especially for target. I think it is too much power for hunting, though.

Excellent rifle. Basically a longer barreled Hog Hunter without sights. My favorite. Didn't know they made it. Very nice. If it were mine, I'd replace the stock with a Boyds Pro Varmint ($100) and bed and pillar it. Or A Choate ($250-350) with a rail (no need to bed or pillar).

Primary Arms makes a nice, affordable 4-14x44 with Mil/mil and FFP. Tracks well, decent glass. I don't know if it is built tough enough to be considered "battle worthy", but heck of a scope for the money. Only variable FFP I can afford and would still want to mount to my rifle. Another good, affordable option is the SWFA SS series. The least expensive ones are fixed power (6x, 10, 12, 16, 20) and though they are fixed only, certainly built strong enough to be "battle worthy". They have variables, too, that are FFP, but for the money, I prefer Primary Arms.

Unless money is no object, I would highly recommend one of these scopes and start hand loading. With that rig, the biggest limitting factor for accuracy will be your loads.

My Favorite,The are just an incredible value.

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/produ...2d24x50mm.html

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

mann2jd
    Thanks for all the great feedback on the scope, i will definitely be reading up on the recommendations. Any suggestions on the stock? I'm looking to spend between 200-300$ but want to make sure it fits an internal magazine and side bolt release.

Thanks

Basic Member
    I just ran out to Cabelas post and got a 22-250. After the $20 Cabelas Bucks it was $400. Incredible. And it has the old slotted barrel nut! Steal trigger guard! I wish I could get more. Love it!

mann2jd
    I ran out to the cabelas in Dundee michigan and got the same $20 cabelas bucks back. With so little money put into the rifle it saves a lot of the budget for stocks and scopes. speaking of stocks I am thinking about picking a bench rest stock for about $230. Any thoughts?

Team Savage
    Mann
    i recently purchased 2 new rifles,,,,savage 12 , in 22=250, put a leupold vx3,,, 6.5 x 20 on it , second rifle tc venture , 204,,,, put a Hawke sidewinder 30 on it 4 x 16,, looking at both during install and set up the hawke is good ,,,,, can be had at a little over $400.00 ,,you might give them a look,,,,,fwiw,,,,, think long and hard before you decide,,,,, will you ever hunt with it , if so,,how might it affect your decision

Basic Member
    For the money go to natchezss 4.5-14×40 nikon buckmaster 199, weaver v-16 4-16×42 $209

Flyndutchman
    I have the exact rifle. Couldn't pass up the deal last summer. I put mine in a Boyd's thumbhole stock for $99. Made an improvement in accuracy. The plastic stock is too flexible for bench work. I started with a 6x24 Vortex Viper for field work and added a used Weaver T-36 for competition. It shoots incredibly good. Took about 50rds before it settled in, but now, WOW! Chamber has a very short throat on mine. Likes Sierra and Nosler bullets better than Hornadys. I shoot mostly light bullets, 40-50 gr, and it really likes the 40gr Varmegeddon. Consistent 0.4" five shot groups at 100yd. It will do better with 53gr Sierra's, but for gophers , the lighter bullets get the nod. For a fun, cheap load, I use James Calhoon's Blue Dot recipe, 11gr behind a 40gr nosler. It shoots sub 1/2" groups at 100yd also and no barrel heat. The triggers on these rifles go down to and honest 18oz. Enjoy the gun.

Basic Member
    If you want to shoot for both competition and hunting and get one scope only, it is going to have to be a variable since if you get a fixed high power 36 or more, you are never going to find the animal in your cross hairs.

mann2jd
    Thanks flyndutchman! Thats nice to hear someone else has the same rifle and is seeing great results. Thanks for all of the great advice, after I get the time I will be sure to write a follow up on the type of ammo (will be picking up a box of sierra, nosler and varmegeddon) it likes and the groups I am getting. Have you tried shooting any of the higher grain ammo and if so how heavy did you get before shots started to keyhole? The barrel has a 1/9 twist so im thinking about pushing it to the limit to figure out what it can stabilize.

Do you have any pics of your setup?

Thanks again for the feedback!

mann2jd
    Hi Fotheringill, I plan on using it primarily for competition however would like to take it out prairie dog hunting once or twice. I live in Michigan so I wouldn't be able to make a trip like that more than one time every two years or so. Im thinking about the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x MOA which hopefully would suffice for both purposes for now and then eventually when I have saved up enough something like the weaver flyndutchman mentioned above.

Flyndutchman
    I have not tried anything heavier than the 53gr Sierra. Need to try the 69gr for the windy conditions we get at our ranges. I shot my first Varmint for Score match in September. The first trial target was and easy 50 with several x's. It went down hill from there as the wind got very "shifty". With a standard front rest I couldn't go back and forth to the sighter target fast enough to find the hold for the changing conditions. Still shot a 239 for my first center fire competition. The 1/9 twist does seem to torque the rifle in the bags more than my 1/14twist .222 does. I will try to post a picture if I can up load one