Thread: Tommy

Tommy

Tommy

I recently purchased a model 99c .308win but in spite of all my research can't seem to date it.

Serial number C615549 on the receiver. It has Series A on the barrel as well as a few other marks I cant make sense of just yet either.

the number 2 inside a box(random location)
    the number 1 inside a box(random location)
    83 (random location) by random I mean they are all in the same area but placed all over
    what appears to be a 6SP
    And a deep set capitol K

There are drilled scope mounting holes(I removed the scope as I intend to not use it for a stand gun)

The gun is nice and clean inside but the barrel and stock show wear and use marks, the fore and rear stocks are checkered nicely. It is a pistol grip stock.

I would really appreciate some one helping me find the age of this gun.

Thanks, Tommy

A = 1949
    b = 1950
    c = 1951
    d = 1952
    e = 1953
    f= 1954
    g = 1955
    h = 1956
    i = 1957
    j = 1958
    k = 1959
    l = 1960
    m = 1961
    n = 1962
    p = 1963
    r = 1964
    s = 1965
    t = 1966
    u = 1967
    v = 1968
    w = 1969
    x = 1970
    y = 1971
    x = 1970
    y = 1971
    Last edited by Robinhood; 12-26-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Capitols

Those should be all capitols.

Tommy

Tommy

Thank you,
    Is it really that simple?? I have a 1959? I was hoping one of you would help simplify the mayhem for and so you did.

Tom

I think Robinhood posted leverboss codes which are stamped on the leverboss in front of the lever. I bet your rifle doesn't have anything stamped there. Your rifle was probably made in the '70's. I think Savage started putting a letter prefix in their serial #'s in about 1970. Where was your rifle made? If it's stamped Westfield, Mass. it's a later(newer) rifle.
    Tomcatt

Tommy

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
    I think Robinhood posted leverboss codes which are stamped on the leverboss in front of the lever. I bet your rifle doesn't have anything stamped there. Your rifle was probably made in the '70's. I think Savage started putting a letter prefix in their serial #'s in about 1970. Where was your rifle made? If it's stamped Westfield, Mass. it's a later(newer) rifle.
    Tomcatt
    Westfield is correct, I wondered because 1970 or so the started putting letters in front of the serial # on the left side of the receiver, C standing for clip which mine has. The K I found on the barrel would simply indicate the checkering option on the wood stocks. The things I found are all on the barrel as well Patent dated 3,28, 1979 and then closer to the receiver I found an 83. Is it possible it's an 83?

Made in 1977.
    Savage- "never say never".

Tommy
    Thank you Mad Dog< appreciate that entirely. I haven't fired it yet but I will soon enough as I spent quite a bit of time cleaning and checking the action for good cycling of ammo. I cycled a bunch of ammo easily and am quite happy with it.

Tommy

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.