Thread: 53 grain v-max in .223 rem / dies breaking tips off bullet

Basic Member

53 grain v-max in .223 rem / dies breaking tips off bullet

I just started loading some .223 rem 53 grain v-max bullets. and about one in 3 bullets the polymer tip breaks off when i seat the bullet. Can anyone help me as to how to fix this problem? Ive heard that the seating stem does not fit these bullets. if thats the case will it do the same when i load the 75 grain amax's i want to try next? also how do i fix the seating stem to work?

Also, on a side note, ive had a terrible time getting the primers to fit. seems like 5 out of 25 of the primers i try to load just wont go in the pocket. i assume that primer pocket uniforming will help? ive been using once fired hornady brass and CCI benchrest small rifle primers.

Thanks in advance.

acemisser
    My first thought would be,are you chamferring the case mouths..This should be done for flat base bullets or MAYBE the tips will
    break off...Just a thought...And I have found that Some CCI's do fit a little snug..I use them almost all the time..
    Have you got any other brand to check the fit? Sorry,thats about all I can offer at this time..Maybe someone else
    will chime in..Good luck...John

seanhagerty
    No experience with those bullets.

The primer issue is a common one for .223 A lot of the brass has the primer pockets crimped, LC and some civilian brands do this. You will need to remove this to get the primers to seat. RCBS and dillon make swagers. RCBS is a 'die' like device that uses your existing press. Dillon has a stand alone device that is easier and faster, also more expensive. Pick your poison.

Seems I remember something about Lee saying their chamfer tool can be used to remove this crimp also.

Sean
    Last edited by seanhagerty; 09-04-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Basic Member
    Thanks for the information. yes i have been chamferring the case mouths. its just weird that it does it for some and not all of the bullets.

As for the primer pockets, ill be looking at cabelas tonight to see if they have the dillon or RCBS or the lee tool. hopefully that will solve the problem. i was thinking just using a RCBS small rifle primer pocket uniformer in my trim mate center would do the trick. sounds like its something else.

John_M
    justin, What seater die are you using? If using a "standard" seating die with a flat based bullet there is a chance the bullet could be canted out of alignment even though you chamferred the mouth of the case. If so, the seating stem might be pressing on the polymer tip of the bullet. A Competition quality seating die like those made by Redding, Forster, and perhaps others, will usually properly align the bullet with the case mouth while it is being seated. This would eliminate most of any mis-alignment between bullet and case mouth during the seating process and prevent a polymer tip from being pressured.

I use both Redding and Forster "Competition" seating dies to seat .223 V-Max bullets and have never fractured a polymer tip.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by John_M; 09-04-2012 at 04:46 PM.

davemuzz
    I load the .223 for my new Savage & before that I loaded em for a Contender that I recently sold. When I load the 40gr Nosler BT, I seat those with a Hornady seater die with no problems. But when I seat the Hornady 68gr I have to use a Lee seater die to avoid the "bullet ring.". I haven't called Hornady yet to ask them why their die does this.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input john. Im using a standard RCBS .223 die. I guess ill have to step up and spend the money for the better die. Seems like when i push the bullet into the case with my hand prior to seating that it doesnt break the tips off. but i should buy the better die anyway due to the fact that its a benchrest gun. and i should be getting into some competitions.

ill check them out at cabelas tonight.

seanhagerty
    Any of the major die makers will make you a custom seater plug. Lee and RCBS have both made one for me.

I think Lee was about 12 or so bucks. The RCBS was about 36 IIRC. I sent the money and three or four of the bullets I wanted the seater plug made for, worked like a charm.

Call their customer service number and talk to them. Both companies will help you out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    Any of the major die makers will make you a custom seater plug. Lee and RCBS have both made one for me.

I think Lee was about 12 or so bucks. The RCBS was about 36 IIRC. I sent the money and three or four of the bullets I wanted the seater plug made for, worked like a charm.

Call their customer service number and talk to them. Both companies will help you out.

What sean said
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

Basic Member
    awesome. thanks for the input guys, i will call rcbs and get them to make me one.

acemisser
    what brass are you using? Maybe you don't need a special tool to ream the primer pockets?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    what brass are you using? Maybe you don't need a special tool to ream the primer pockets?
    ive been using hornady brass. i bought a bunch of hornady superperformance 53 gr v-max when i first got the rifle. so i figured i would start with that brass and see how it shot.

3030guy

Bad RCBS seating cone

The RCBS .223 dies and possibly others have a defect. If you look up into the bullet seating die with a flashlight you will see a large ridge up into the seating cone. The ballistic tips and even soft nose bullets catch on this ridge and are broken or deformed.
    This ruined a lot of bullets for me. I contacted RCBS and they are sending me a modified cone/screw. This is a real problem.
    I am using a cheap RGB lee seating die in the mean time and it works perfectly.
    You would really expect better from RCBS. I am really disappointed.

Berger.Fan222
    I seem to remember a similar thing some time back with a 222 or 223 standard RCBS seating die. Something was not properly centered in my process or the adjustments. I checked and centered everything and have not seen the problem since.

gotcha
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc68 View Post
    I just started loading some .223 rem 53 grain v-max bullets. and about one in 3 bullets the polymer tip breaks off when i seat the bullet. Can anyone help me as to how to fix this problem? Ive heard that the seating stem does not fit these bullets. if thats the case will it do the same when i load the 75 grain amax's i want to try next? also how do i fix the seating stem to work?

Also, on a side note, ive had a terrible time getting the primers to fit. seems like 5 out of 25 of the primers i try to load just wont go in the pocket. i assume that primer pocket uniforming will help? ive been using once fired hornady brass and CCI benchrest small rifle primers.

Thanks in advance.
    You can fix the seating stem by using a 1/8th or 3/16th drill to create 1/8 inch deep hole at the point where your bullet tip is contacting the seating plug. Polish the hole edges with steel wool to remove burrs. Switch to a narrower, thinner cupped primer like the Fed. 200 or 205M. They will seat with ease. A flash hole uniforming tool effects the depth of the pocket NOT the width. Should your primer pockets loosen with age then a thicker, harder primer like the BR-4 or Tula would be appropriate. Hope this helps :)

Basic Member
    I took a countersinking mill bit and chamfered my primer pockets just a little to knock off the edge. No problems, works great

I have not had any issues seating 53gr Vmax with my Lee dies. I just added them to the load development list have 40 of them sitting waiting to go to the range. I was loading only 55gr Vmax decide to see if I could get anymore out of the 53s. I have had no issues seating primers in .223 rem brass, but most 5.56 brass is crimped and needs to be swagged the first time. I got the RCBS swag die and it is a PITA to have to swag brass especially when you buy 1000 cases of LC at a time. But is just the first time.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I use a Forester Competition seater die and have zero problems seating the V-Max bullets.