Thread: Integrally Suppressed .308

EvanB

Integrally Suppressed .308

I have a old Series J Savage 110S in .308. I also have a swap barrel for it in .223 from the original Series 110V with correct bolt face. I have swapped them a few times just for fun. Now, I am going forward with a fully suppressed barrel, not a screw on. I need to find a small shank .308 barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. If I cant find a takeoff, I am considering a .300 Blackout. I can get about the same performance out of the .308 hand loading 180 grain bullets. I know most of the .300 Blackout are AR platform guys, I have a friend with a Rem 700 fully suppressed that sounds like a staple gun. What do you think?

D.ID
    In the savage platform the 308 loaded with trailboss powder will give you the same sound signature as the blackout without all the ejection issues and still retain the option to load full supersonics with vastly superior versatility.
    I had a 300 blackout but got sick of fighting ejection. Re-chambered to 308 and that fixed the ejection fight, retained the sound signature and gave me the option to use it as full powered dear gun also.
    The only time you can gain anything with the black out over the 308 would be in an AR were the 308 won't fit.

EvanB
    excellent information, I appreciate it. Is that powder a slow burn or a fast burn powder and what about volume for the case. I am relatively new at reloading also and certainly my first venture into suppressed actions. My manufacturer suggests I use 180 grain for subsonic and tells me I want a 1 in 10 twist rate barrel. Just missed one the other day for $52. Perhaps I will post here to see if anyone has one for sale.
    Thanks again.

Berger.Fan222
    Our records show that case capacity is about 14 grains of TB. Getting down to subsonic requires lowering the charge to 9-10 grains, depending on the rifle. TB is a fast burning powder that is bulked up. It looks like little washers/donuts.

D.ID
    I use 12.5 grains of trail boss with the 225 hornady match bullet. I can use the heavier slugs because I have a 1 in 8 twist, shoots great.