Thread: Model 12 vlp dbm bottom bolt release or side bolt release?

Battlehawk1025

Model 12 vlp dbm bottom bolt release or side bolt release?

Hey folks,
    Just as the title states trying to find out if the savage 12 vlp dbm in 223 with the 1 in 7 twist has a bottom bolt release or a side bolt release? I am getting conflicting answers. Called savage was on hold for over an hour and just gave up (figured with between holidays). Distributors are saying all the new savages are coming with bottom bolt release. But all the pictures I see of the rifle show it with the side release. Im trying to find out before I purchase it because my brother has a stock that may fit and does effect if I purchase it or not. Thanks

Team Savage
    Mine is a side release

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Mine is a side release
    Do you happen to know when it was manufactured?

Basic Member
    For what it's worth, personally, I prefer the top (side) bolt release, but if I ordered one and it came with bottom release, I know I could alter the stock (assuming it is TOP bolt release stock) to work with the bottom release. I have done a couple, it's no big deal. I don't think you could make a bottom release stock work well with a top release action, though.

Also, I think you're getting conflicting stories about how new ones are made b/c the newer models do come with bottom release. However, the older "specialty" models are still configured with top bolt release either b/c they are still trying to use up parts or they know the top release is actually better and are continuing them for the special styles. They put a lot of work and wasted a lot of effort trying to change the bolt release to the bottom. The only reason they did it was for aesthetics. They are hoping new consumers will like the look better, but most Savage shooters of old prefer the older setup.

Team Savage
    Its about 2yrs old

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    For what it's worth, personally, I prefer the top (side) bolt release, but if I ordered one and it came with bottom release, I know I could alter the stock (assuming it is TOP bolt release stock) to work with the bottom release. I have done a couple, it's no big deal. I don't think you could make a bottom release stock work well with a top release action, though.

Also, I think you're getting conflicting stories about how new ones are made b/c the newer models do come with bottom release. However, the older "specialty" models are still configured with top bolt release either b/c they are still trying to use up parts or they know the top release is actually better and are continuing them for the special styles. They put a lot of work and wasted a lot of effort trying to change the bolt release to the bottom. The only reason they did it was for aesthetics. They are hoping new consumers will like the look better, but most Savage shooters of old prefer the older setup.

Thanks for the info...
    Its being a side bolt release or bottom doesn't matter to me personally. But my brother has an extra stock (Forgot with kind) that I love and its for a bottom bolt release. So I would prefer it to be a bottom so it's just a drop in with minimal work. But I can make it work.

Basic Member
    I am pretty confident the VLP's will continue to be built with top bolt release.

Savage is closed until the Jan 5th. They are normally really good answering these kind of questions. Should not have to wait more than 10 mins or so.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawk1025 View Post
    Thanks for the info...
    Its being a side bolt release or bottom doesn't matter to me personally. But my brother has an extra stock (Forgot with kind) that I love and its for a bottom bolt release. So I would prefer it to be a bottom so it's just a drop in with minimal work. But I can make it work.
    The only issue with the bottom release stocks is the trigger guard is different. You might be able to make it work, but you also might have to use some epoxy or something to fill spots.

Basic Member
    Just another thought to throw out there... if you don't want that stock, why not just get a model 12 action from NSS and an aftermarket barrel? Of course, you can always sell the stock here...

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Just another thought to throw out there... if you don't want that stock, why not just get a model 12 action from NSS and an aftermarket barrel? Of course, you can always sell the stock here...
    Still figuring out my options. Also thinking I could "upgrade" one of my other rifles with the striped parts

It's on top. Mine is a year old and it's still on top. One of the reasons I bought it.

Team Savage
    i thought i read that at least in some models,,,,,,,,,,,those with the accu stock,,,,,had bottom release bolts , i know mine is that way , its a model12

Bottom bolt release are usually accustock

Battlehawk1025
    Called savage they are still on top. Just wondering how much work its going to take to make it fit my XLR chassis. XLR said just a little bit of milling will do it.

Battle that top bolt release should drop right in without any work at all. Why I'm glad my 12 is a top release. Which one are you looking at the Element?

Battlehawk1025
    I have an xlr for the bottom bolt release that I want to carry over.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawk1025 View Post
    I have an xlr for the bottom bolt release that I want to carry over.
    They make them for both top and bottom bolt release.

Basic Member
    XLR Element comes in versions to be used with side or bottom bolt release. The Element is an incredible stock, and I can't recommend the Element... or Kyle more highly!! The only modifications you will need to make to an existing one, would be to remove enough for the bolt release to not make contact. Everything else looks to be good to go!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]